Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Many would argue that the first major step backwards in getting the biggest number of newcomers to assimilate to America was in providing most everything in both English and Spanish.

In the long haul that was likely a bad move and set the pace for other things that don't help them get up to speed with American life.
correct it was horrific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 11:41 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hmmm...maybe we should treat some of the christian home schoolers this way here. I mean you folks seem all for this. Right?
This has totally gone over your head (or maybe you're deliberately ignoring the point). Are these Christian homeschooled children you speak of, using the words of the article, in concentrated ghettos of unemployment, violence, and welfare? Are they failing to learn English? Are they unaware of holidays recognized by the American federal government? This is about cultural assimilation of newcomers to a country, not about homeschooling vs. public schooling or Christians vs. secular education.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:56 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Immigrant kids in Denmark will be away from families 25 hours a week | Daily Mail Online

If you want to live in Denmark, live like a Dane. All those Americans with Danish envy, I can see why!

"From the age of one, 'ghetto children' — those born into concentrated urban areas with high gang violence and unemployment rates — will be forced into public education, spending a minimum of 25 hours per week away from their parents.

The rules target 25 enclaves that consider factors such as residents’ income, employment status and criminal convictions.

Kids will be taught the traditions of Christmas and Easter while learning to speak Danish.

According to Reuters, the government said if parents fail to enroll children, they could lose their welfare benefits."
Okay, I haven’t read the article yet so the whole thing could be rubbish, but if true I’m not digging this idea at all. Does this strike anyone else of what Christians used to do with Jewish kids in the Middle Ages? I’m all for integration, but to force Muslim children to learn the traditions of Christmas and Easter? Not cool!

Why not just spread them around town and not force them to live in ghettos? Help them get jobs and don’t treat them like pariahs?

Before posting I had to check if there was a source other than Daily Mail, and it does appear to be true. Wow!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Okay, I haven’t read the article yet so the whole thing could be rubbish, but if true I’m not digging this idea at all. Does this strike anyone else of what Christians used to do with Jewish kids in the Middle Ages? I’m all for integration, but to force Muslim children to learn the traditions of Christmas and Easter? Not cool!

Why not just spread them around town and not force them to live in ghettos? Help them get jobs and don’t treat them like pariahs?

Before posting I had to check if there was a source other than Daily Mail, and it does appear to be true. Wow!
I understand your concerns about religion (I am not religious myself) but you have to look at it through a Danish lens rather than an American one. Their country was not founded on religious liberty like ours was, and migrants moving there know it is a majority Christian nation. In many European countries, the people aren't deeply religious but the church still receives state support. The Danes aren't forcing the children to forsake Islam and convert to Christianity--they are simply teaching them Christian holidays. If you move somewhere and 90% of the people around you are taking off work and school to participate in certain traditions, I think it's good to know why and learn the history behind it.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I understand your concerns about religion (I am not religious myself) but you have to look at it through a Danish lens rather than an American one. Their country was not founded on religious liberty like ours was, and migrants moving there know it is a majority Christian nation. In many European countries, the people aren't deeply religious but the church still receives state support. The Danes aren't forcing the children to forsake Islam and convert to Christianity--they are simply teaching them Christian holidays. If you move somewhere and 90% of the people around you are taking off work and school to participate in certain traditions, I think it's good to know why and learn the history behind it.
Oh yes, indeed. A voice of mature reason. What you said.

Katy needs to understand that these folks are immigrants. They have been permitted to live in Denmark and most are being taxpayer-supported! So, they absolutely should expect to learn the language, local values and customs. Otherwise, if they eventually become a big enough proportion of the population, Denmark would become another Syria or North Africa, etc.

This concept is so simple and basic, I shake my head at those can't grasp it.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I’m not religious either, but that just rubbed me the wrong way. I guess if they’re just teaching them that these are our traditions that might be fine, but it seems very strange to me. My kids go to school with loads of immigrants’ children from India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Somalia, Iraq, Turkey, etc. (it’s a regular little UN there). Somehow they all get along and no one forces them to learn the traditions of Christmas and Easter. If anything, they try to take out all religious aspects of those holidays even while giving the time off. It’s now Winter Break and not sure what subs for Easter, but it’s not called Easter holiday anymore. But those kids are still learning the holidays from our popular culture and as far as I know, are respectful of it. We teach them English when they go to school (though most of their parents already know English). I guess our closest similarity would be Hispanic kids who often don’t know English until they get into school, but they already share the dominant religion with us so maybe that’s easier.

I guess they are doing the kids a favor by teaching them the language and customs, but I don’t like the idea of forcing it at such a young age.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, indeed. A voice of mature reason. What you said.

Katy needs to understand that these folks are immigrants. They have been permitted to live in Denmark and most are being taxpayer-supported! So, they absolutely should expect to learn the language, local values and customs. Otherwise, if they eventually become a big enough proportion of the population, Denmark would become another Syria or North Africa, etc.

This concept is so simple and basic, I shake my head at those can't grasp it.
I grasp it, but there are better ways to accomplish it. We do it every day in this country. If the Danes didn’t want their culture obliterated, they shouldn’t have invited so many to come there. Forcing any ideas is going to accomplish the opposite of what they want.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
This has totally gone over your head (or maybe you're deliberately ignoring the point). Are these Christian homeschooled children you speak of, using the words of the article, in concentrated ghettos of unemployment, violence, and welfare? Are they failing to learn English? Are they unaware of holidays recognized by the American federal government? This is about cultural assimilation of newcomers to a country, not about homeschooling vs. public schooling or Christians vs. secular education.
The problem, as you pointed out yourself, is the concentrated ghettos. If they’re in public housing, why not spread the families around town so they’re not concentrated?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I grasp it, but there are better ways to accomplish it. We do it every day in this country. If the Danes didn’t want their culture obliterated, they shouldn’t have invited so many to come there. Forcing any ideas is going to accomplish the opposite of what they want.
I agree with the bolded and history will eventually reveal what the heck exactly caused the universal intellectual breakdown of European leaders to allow so much immigration and so quickly. It seems a form of temporary insanity.

I don't understand why you want to insist that things are being FORCED. Why all the theatrics? Those will be reasonable requirements of people who are being financially supported by working taxpayers. If people don't like the requirements, they aren't forced to stay, they can move to another country. Their choice.

Edit: "If they’re in public housing, why not spread the families around town so they’re not concentrated?" --- They can't speak the language! Their groceries w/ Middle Eastern foods and other services will be in their own neighborhoods. There has also been an intense assault and rape problem in those Euro countries, in case you haven't heard. Just a few of the reasons for not spreading them around.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I agree with the bolded and history will eventually reveal what the heck exactly caused the universal intellectual breakdown of European leaders to allow so much immigration and so quickly. It seems a form of temporary insanity.

I don't understand why you want to insist that things are being FORCED. Why all the theatrics? Those will be reasonable requirements of people who are being financially supported by working taxpayers. If people don't like the requirements, they aren't forced to stay, they can move to another country. Their choice.

Edit: "If they’re in public housing, why not spread the families around town so they’re not concentrated?" --- They can't speak the language! Their groceries w/ Middle Eastern foods and other services will be in their own neighborhoods. There has also been an intense assault and rape problem in those Euro countries, in case you haven't heard. Just a few of the reasons for not spreading them around.
Well, what they’re doing instead is creating two separate countries, and only one of them has a sustainable birth rate. They are going to be the majority someday. It would be better to have them spread around and integrated with the Danish population before that happens. They can learn the customs much better that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies