Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:11 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Supporting equal rights for non-whites doesn't equate to hating whites. I don't get why Trump supporters don't get this. It's just like supporting the rights of the LGBT community doesn't mean Christians are being oppressed.
I don't disagree with you but the problem I see is that both Democrats and Republicans and politicians from both parties have pandered to the needs of some of these groups, ignored the needs of other groups that aren't in their core constituencies, and in the process exacerbated the fact that many of these groups are pitted against each other (and all of these groups aren't mutually exclusive either, like their advocates, lobbyists, & PACs suggest).

Which makes it more tempting to tune all of them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I would n't be so sure of that, Instead of promises from the party leaders to re negotiate NAFTA and go after China for unfair trade Trump actually did something. It does not matter if you agree with the policy or not Joe six pack has taken note.
I have never understood why conservatives believe in the bold. Maybe that argument works if you were proven wrong and the policy you didnt support actually works out well, but not simply for it existing. Heck even if it does work out well, that doesnt mean you then vote for the person.

For example, technically most gun bans work, that doesnt mean you should vote for someone who plans to take guns away.

If you completely remove the minimum wage, unemployment would likley plummet to 1%, that doesnt mean people can survive on 4 dollars a hour.

Quote:
Plus you do not add any sugar by telling people " they clutch to their bibles and guns" and that they are deploreables for not voting for Hillary.
I see enough conservatives degrade people left of center to call BS on this line.

Quote:
Joe six pack is paying more attention to better job prospects, a booming economy, and low un employment instead of empty rhetoric and insults. Which team do you think Joe 6 pack will pick the one with results or the team that did nothing for him?
All of which were true in 2016, so what is your point ????

Old 07-04-2018, 10:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We'll see. During the 2016 election, the news media used to go to college campuses to get opinions from Millennials on the candidates. This was both conservative and liberal news media. I know WHY they did it. The news media was lazy. It was the easiest way to get a lot of Millennials in one place to do their stories. They apparently didn't know how to find groups of blue collar millennials. They certainly weren't all in one place. I think that's why Millennials were "shocked" at the election result. No one talked to already working blue collar Millennials. Millennials is not equivalent to college students. College students may be mostly Millennials but not all Millennials are college students. The news media didn't talk to a whole bunch of Millennials...and then the whole lot of them, news media and millennials were dumbfounded.
LOL, what I said isnt an opinion("We'll see" moment), its a fact, backed up by the very Presidential election you are quoting.

No 3rd Party candidate got near as large of a percentage of the "Not a democrat/not a republican" vote as this article-data would suggest they would get.

Not defining yourself as a member of a party is not the same as not voting for a party, especially depending on how the question was worded.

I myself am not a dues paying member of the Democratic Party(missed the meeting this year), and my state doesnt register people by party, so technically, im not a Democrat. But obviously, im going to vote for them.

Also, no news organization believed only college kids where millennial in 2016, the majority of millennials were passed college age by 2006 LOL.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah -- I haven't jumped on the bandwagon for Trump but if asked if I was calling myself a Democrat I most definitely would say NO>

Kids don't like folks to box them into labels.

Especially kids who support more left leaning ideology.

Conservatives love the box and labels...that's why they are conservatives. They like everything tightly wound up and identified.

So young conservatives will own the label, young liberals will fight the label.
Make something else up. Conservatives like small government.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:20 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
I have three millenial kids. The two oldest are vegan environmentalists and vote straight GOP now. The youngest is having his mind destroyed by college libs but he'll recover. Their mother gave them life's greatest gift...common sense.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I have never understood why conservatives believe in the bold. Maybe that argument works if you were proven wrong and the policy you didnt support actually works out well, but not simply for it existing. Heck even if it does work out well, that doesnt mean you then vote for the person.

For example, technically most gun bans work, that doesnt mean you should vote for someone who plans to take guns away.

If you completely remove the minimum wage, unemployment would likley plummet to 1%, that doesnt mean people can survive on 4 dollars a hour.

I see enough conservatives degrade people left of center to call BS on this line.

All of which were true in 2016, so what is your point ????
Well we will soon find out what Joe six pack thinks of the {D} party with the midterms. I know you and others think your party is going to do really well and might get a majority in the House or Senate. but why would Joe run out in vote for your candidates in the mid terms?

He knows your party never lifted a finger on NAFTA or did squat on China un fair trade practices and somehow the left thinks there will be a ground swell of Joe's going to the polls to get their party back in power. They are not that stupid and those kitchen table policies like employment mean way more to Joe then who should be able to go to which bathroom. Ya know.

I from Akron, Ohio it is a democratic strong hold and when Trump was on the trail he filled a arena. Because he has the message that people wanted to hear. After listening to Trump and seeing he is actually trying to do something, I doubt Joe 6 pack still thinks the {D} party is the "workers" party. He also sees that your party seems to care more about illegals then they do him.

So you tell us why Joe six pack would run out and vote {D} in the midterms?

Or why he would vote for a {D} over Trump in 2020?

Or do you think who should go to which bathroom and treating illegals better then citizens is a winning ticket for the Joe six pack crowd?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:16 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Make something else up. Conservatives like small government.
Libertarians do. Conservatives don't.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:17 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I have three millenial kids. The two oldest are vegan environmentalists and vote straight GOP now. The youngest is having his mind destroyed by college libs but he'll recover. Their mother gave them life's greatest gift...common sense.
That is cool, you don't see too many vegan conservatives out there in the world.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Uh-oh Dems - 16,000 REGISTERED voters age 18 - 34 polled by Reuters.

"The latest Reuters/Ipsos Poll surveyed more than 16,000 registered voters between the ages 18 to 34 over the course of the last three months of 2018. This same poll was conducted in 2016 around the same time period."

2016: Democrats favored over Republicans 47 to 33 percent margin by same white 18 - 34 age group .
2018: Today, 39 percent of young white Americans say they favor Republicans while another 39 percent of young white Americans say they favor Democrats.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...umps-election/

I'm emphasizing Reuters "registered voters" (a plus) because pollsters like Gallup say they poll Americans --- only it turns out they define "Americans" as anyone who lives here, in their methodology. News stories never tell you that. You have to look at the actual poll methodology.

By the way, Gallup didn't change just because of Trump so don't assign anything nefarious to it. They were doing the same type of thing under Obama. I used to wonder how Obama could use his approval ratings to figure out how he would do at the polls because Gallup polled (for Approval rating) any adult who picked up the phone making the info useless. They do the same with Trump. Are 50%, 25%, 60%, 5%, etc., even eligible/registered to vote? How can you compare presidential approval ratings if you don't know that? Who cares what people think of the presidents (any of them) if the poll numbers don't reflect what will happen on Election Day? I'm told what Gallup does is cheaper. That's why they do what they do --- but garbage in, garbage out.
Meanwhile,

Reuters Polling

Old 07-05-2018, 08:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Poll Says YOUNG White Registered Voters Fleeing Democrat Party
Good. Being independent is the way to go.

How many are leaving the Republican party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies