Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In the Northeast all of our heat records are from 1936, to be almost exact, July 9, 1936. Our worst droughts were in the 1950s and 1960s, cresting in 1964 and 1965. In 1965 we had under 27" of rain. 49' is now considered "normal" based on a 30 year moving average, but in the 1960's the 30 year moving average was around 40", give or take.

Our rainiest years were 1972 and 1983, both super El Niño years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Death Valley: 129 degrees F in recent years and 134 degrees F on July 10, 1913.
This shows a graph of temperatures in the U.S. rising. They list their sources. Elsewhere, I looked up a list of hottest temperatures in the U.S. over the last century. I didn't find hardly any records after 2000 though...but the graph does show rising temperatures, on average.
https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicato...al-temperature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
This shows a graph of temperatures in the U.S. rising. They list their sources. Elsewhere, I looked up a list of hottest temperatures in the U.S. over the last century. I didn't find hardly any records after 2000 though...but the graph does show rising temperatures, on average.
https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicato...al-temperature
Deniers don't want to see that, Clintone, especially the global graph. They abhor facts.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And similar scientific techniques and methodologies (computer modelling) are used for prediction of both. And those methodologies and that prediction has not performed well and will not perform well for decades or centuries. Climate science is in its infancy. So no, I am not rolling back my use of fossil fuels based on these models and projections. Especially when ALL the practitioners using these predictive models have the exact same politics and leftist agenda. So cooking the books is quite possible, especially since they must "publish or perish", and create armageddonistic fear to keep the grant money flowing. They hated the oil companies before AGW was even a hint of a thing. The advent of AGW is just another tool in the redistributive toolbox of tyranny.

And the third world hellholes all sign on at the United Nations, because the Paris Accords will transfer wealth to their coffers. It's a gravy train, or more accurately, a pig trough. I don't want my country contributing to that.
1. Most scientists in general are democrats, and only a very small percentage are Republican, not just climate scientists:

No, this is not the punch line of a joke. A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest "don't know" their affiliation.
Most scientists in this country are Democrats. That's a problem.

2. Weather forecasts are useful enough to use.

3. Climate models have been pretty accurate, when it comes to predicting the future, from what I understand.

Since 1990, global surface temperatures have warmed at a rate of about 0.15°C per decade, within the range of model projections of about 0.10 to 0.35°C per decade. As the IPCC notes,
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tions-accurate

4. I don't think anybody can think of a good reason why global warming is happening, if not for C02. I haven't heard of any other explanations, at least.

*The sun is cooling a bit, so that's not it.

Since 1978, a series of satellite instruments have measured the energy output of the sun directly. The satellite data show a very slight drop in solar irradiance (which is a measure of the amount of energy the sun gives off) over this time period. So the sun doesn't appear to be responsible for the warming trend observed over the past several decades.
https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

*Volcanoes aren't causing it, because they don't produce nearly as much C02 as humans: According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...oes-or-humans/

*The whole globe is warming, so it can't really be just Earth somehow rebounding from an ice age. Places can shift energy back and forth like that, but not if the whole globe is warming like it's been doing for a few decades.

I've heard that there's not 100% confidence that humans are causing global warming among the scientific community...but can anybody think of any better explanations than C02 increase?

Last edited by Clintone; 07-23-2018 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Deniers don't want to see that, Clintone, especially the global graph. They abhor facts.
Yeah...but some people will be interested in data. I've never been a denier, but I've been neutral, and I've known people who've changed their minds after seeing data.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-23-2018 at 11:36 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 11:44 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
LOL - all these "record HIGH temperatures" ignore the FACT that the average global temperature has NOT risen. In addition, the highest record temperature has NOT BEEN EXCEEDED.

Alarmism is a ploy to extort money and power from the muggles.

- - - DATA - - -
● Earth max : (134.33 F)
● Space station max : (250 F)
● Lunar surface max : (242.33 F)

Zero atmosphere = higher maximum temperature
How does a “heat trapping”atmosphere stay colder?

And if heat was being 'trapped,' why hasn't the maximum temperature gone up to a new record level?

Is the “Greenhouse effect” like a refrigerator “trapping heat”?

There is no "heating up" or trapping of heat by the atmosphere when it is COOLING the planet. And since there is no conduction nor convection of heat in a vacuum, that leaves RADIATION. The atmosphere is radiating / reflecting back energy, that COOLS the planet.

Facts in support - - -
Earth Albedo : 0.3
Moon Albedo : 0.11

Old 07-23-2018, 11:57 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Yeah...but some people will be interested in data. I've never been a denier, but I've been neutral, and I've known people who've changed their minds after seeing data.
I agree with you, but I think most deniers will never abandon their myths. An example is the post above...Even though you posted evidence of how much global temperature has risen the poster above denies that it has...Today most skeptics deny that man is the cause, but accept the fact that global temperatures are rising.

Never mind the added heat, how do they explain the melting ice and rising sea levels?

Last edited by sanspeur; 07-24-2018 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 05:29 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree with you, but I think most deniers will never abandon their myths. An example is the post above...Even though you posted evidence of how much global temperature has risen the poster above denies that it has...Today most skeptics deny that man is the cause, but accept the fact that global temperatures are rising.

Never mind the added heat, how do they explain the melting ice and rising sea levels?
It is natural.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:39 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,962 times
With all this volcanic activity going on all over the world did any of you think its earth's internal thermal nuclear reactor causing global warming instead of mankind?

Old 07-24-2018, 05:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is natural.
You're wrong ,=https://grist.org/series/skeptics/

Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
In the final analysis, is the planet warming? It doesn't matter. If it is warming, is it caused by Man? It doesn't matter.

Why doesn't it matter? It has to matter!

It doesn't matter because we are simply NOT rolling back the Industrial Revolution to fix it. We are not going back in time, we are not going to refrain from using fossil fuels, and above all, we are not going to engage in global tyrannical redistribution of wealth. None of that is going to happen.

We are going to adapt to the new conditions. That IS what is going to happen. And that is what IS happening now.

Even if billions die, we are not going to accept tyranny or theft as a way of life. Better dead. A life of tyranny and redistribution is not a life worth living, and not a life worth leaving, to our children and grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies