Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The crimes that were committed prior to the 1960s, as atrocious as they were, don't have much relevance to modern times. We have lived in a different system beginning in the civil rights era when minorities have been given the same legal rights as whites.

Unfortunately, black men have such a high crime rate that 1 in 3 of them can be expected to spend time in prison at some point in their lives.
Yes...they do indeed have relevance. If not relevant specific crimes, certainly a relevant contrast.

The 1960s was not a “tough on crime” era unlike the 80s and tons of cocaine and drugs were not poured into cities.

I think we all know Black and Brown men have a higher than average rate of being locked...but you’re not explaining or giving specific context as to why this came to be.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Lol.....That is why people always seem to want us "smiling". If we are not "smiling" people seem to feel threatened. I think a lot of people are just afraid of black people and hence when we act out it gets seen as a lot more belligerent and scary than when a white person does it. Just because people are might be loud talking don't mean they are about to bust some caps in you....lol.

Have you ever heard of the concept of "self fulfilling prophecy". Well, that is in full effect in the way non blacks see and treat blacks. Also, you have to realize that there is perceived POWER in fear. If people fear you.....you have some kind of power and for a people who have been dis-empowered for so long....the POWER they feel from others fear can be refreshing. Its the only way they feel they get RESPECT. You can say the same for a lot of people who become police officers and all of a sudden their badge gives them POWER to do and say things to others that they could never get away with saying and doing without that badge. Ergo, I do think some black folks play on and play up the fear to try to utilize it as some sort of power in a society where there socioeconomic and REAL political power is limited.
Are saying black people are loud and use aggressiveness to intimidate?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I kinda get where the criticisms came from, though. Back in school, the most belligerent and disruptive students were always the black kids. I observed this throughout my entire K12 years and college. I have 4 life long friends from college who are now teachers at 4 different school districts. They all tell me the same, that the most belligerent and disruptive kids they have are black kids. No teacher ever dares to point it out, though.
Your perception is your truth but it isn't always THE truth.

I've been in many classrooms and I've seen how teachers and students create the 'bad kid' in the class.

Teachers have preconceived notions and then they make their classroom fit that scenario. I suspect your bias against black kids impacts your perception of who was acting up.

Here's the thing -- that little blonde haired blue eyed girl -- she's the real brat in the classroom -- lol (by the way natural blonde with blue eyes here so don't be thinking I'm jealous of that girl -- lol).

Seriously -- teachers decide how they think a child is going to behave and then fit their classroom to that.

THAT BAD KID who drops his pencil is scolded for playing around.
That sweet blue eyed girl who drops her pencil because she was hitting the kid next to her with it, is just asked to 'please pick up your pencil." Thank you sweetie.

Yes I've seen it -- not once, not twice.....let's talk about from 1990 until 2007......Three kids, four school systems, two countries, four school boards, two states.....lol.....yup.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

If people are being loud I think its safe to say that they want to be heard.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
If people are being loud I think its safe to say that they want to be heard.
Or they want to be right.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

I've been in many classrooms and I've seen how teachers and students create the 'bad kid' in the class.

Teachers have preconceived notions and then they make their classroom fit that scenario. I suspect your bias against black kids impacts your perception of who was acting up.

Here's the thing -- that little blonde haired blue eyed girl -- she's the real brat in the classroom -- lol (by the way natural blonde with blue eyes here so don't be thinking I'm jealous of that girl -- lol).

Seriously -- teachers decide how they think a child is going to behave and then fit their classroom to that.

That sweet blue eyed girl who drops her pencil because she was hitting the kid next to her with it, is just asked to 'please pick up your pencil." Thank you sweetie.

Yes I've seen it -- not once, not twice.....let's talk about from 1990 until 2007......Three kids, four school systems, two countries, four school boards, two states.....lol.....yup.

THANK YOU!!!

It's called "self fulfilling prophecy". Here is an example of self fulfilling prophecy: There is a waitress in a restaurant and a family is seated in her section. The family is from an ethnicity that is stereotyped as never leaving a tip. Thus, the waitress having this preconceived notion that they are not going to leave a tip, consciously or unconsciously gives them inferior service. As a result of the inferior service, the family does not leave a tip or leaves a very small tip. When the waitress goes for the tip, the small amount or no tip confirms her preconceived notion and thus she will go on to propagate the belief about that ethnicity.

That is one simple scenario. Now think of the consequences upon black people from CENTURIES of negative stereotypes imposed by the larger dominate society around them. Think of how that could plausibly shape the outcomes just in the way the waitress shaped the outcome by her behavior and beliefs.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-13-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

"Im many cases" SO how many is that? 1% or less. The ones you hand pick? Not only that, the blond haired blue eyed girl is probably the one with straight A's and the "bad kid" typically has C's, D's, and F's.

Last edited by Berteau; 07-13-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!!!

It's called "self fulfilling prophecy". Here is an example of self fulfilling prophecy. There is a waitress in a restaurant and a family is seated in her section. The family is from an ethnicity that is stereotyped as never leaving a tip. Thus, the waitress having this preconceived notion that they are not going to leave a tip, consciously or unconsciously gives them inferior service. As a result of the inferior service, the family does not leave a tip of leaves a very small tip. When the waitress goes for the tip, the small amount or no tip confirms her preconceived notion and thus she will go on to propagate the belief about that ethnicity.

That is one simple scenario. Now think of the consequences upon black people from CENTURIES of negative stereotypes imposed by the larger dominate society around them. Think of how that could plausibly shape the outcomes just in the way the waitress shaped the outcome by her behavior and beliefs.
The stereotypes are't stereotypes because they are based on fact. They are earned stereotypes if anything. Its like the stereotype of asians good at math or asians not being good basketball players or anything like that. They are all based off and created from reality. The waitress in your example didn't get her opinion from stereotyping, she got it from personal experience before she even had an opinion. In theory your example could be true in rare circumstances, but not in 95% of cases.

Last edited by Berteau; 07-13-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
The stereotypes are't stereotypes because they are based on fact. They are earned stereotypes if anything. Its like the stereotype of asians good at math or asians not being good basketball players or anything like that. They are all based off and created from reality.

Which came first, the belief/stereotype and self fulfilling prophecy or the facts? Here is the FACTS. Most people will NEVER meet enough people of another race to make a generalized statement about the behavior of that race. It's at best a sampling error, as the sample of your personal experiences are too small to say to be representative of the whole. At worst its racism/prejudice.

One thing is clear. If you are treating people based upon stereotypes.....you are self reinforcing the good or bad behavior of the stereotype. In other words, you are exacerbating the condition, if ever true, or creating it if previously not true.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, after stating that blacks are unfairly perceived as acting that way.

Just verification as to the value of my ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies