Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Everything you just posted is opinion.

So do you believe that life for a black person in America is exactly the same as a white person in America?
Do you believe your life is exactly like mine?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What happened 300 years ago that caused blacks and all other groups to not raise their kids in 2 parent families starting around the mid 1960's? What took so long for that to happen? 100 years AFTER slavery ended that's when single parenthood kicked in. Couldn't be the welfare state could it? No it has to be the white devil because there is the same amount of racism today as there was 50 years ago, right? You'll ignore that too just like you've ignore all the other facts.

I don't know or really care....the change since the 60's is not endemic to blacks. What is clear is that prior to the 60's the rate for blacks was already 7 times what it was for whites. Maybe the change in gender roles in the US...with women entering the workforce in record numbers and less of the need for males as providers is what happened post 60's.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
All I was trying to demonstrate is how absurd it is to assert that there are no differences in the races. Without refuting that whatsoever you thought a rebuttal that simply labels me a racist was sufficient.

BTW despite competing in the olympics only since 1952 and boycotting 1976, Nigeria has won 24 olympics medals.
Your strawman limiting their success to marathons only is irrelevant. Kenyas medals were not all marathons.

Yes there are observable differences between the races and the are mostly superficial and hence what creates the social construct of "race".

My point about the Marathon is Kenyans dominate marathons...marathon require high slow twitch muscle fiber composition. If there success was due to race, then Nigerians should also dominate because they share the same race, but don't. In fact, WHITES used to dominate the marathons while blacks dominated the sprints, which led to some geniuses to conclude that whites were naturally superior distance runners while blacks wee naturally superior sprinters due to slow vs fast twitch muscle composition difference between the races.

That is the flaw in many people. They think observation severs as explanation. If whites are performing better at something than blacks, they think it therefore must be due to race and not experience or external circumstance. How whites used to dominate distances races is a key example of that. The bent science to go with their observation that it was because whites have more slow twitch muscle fibers. Then the Ethiopians and Kenyans started dominating. Keep in mind that "blacks" have the greatest genetic diversity of humans. That means that you might find all extreme expressions within the black race.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Many years ago, I had a black boyfriend. At the time I lived in a predominantly white neighborhood. He came to my place all the time and I went to his all the time. One time he came over and I asked him to plant a tree with me out front. We were half way digging our hole when a cop came by. Said someone reported a suspicious person. He showed his ID and I explained to the cop that I lived there and we were just planting a tree. The cop went on his way.

When I started working in engineering, one time a there was an operation that needed precise surveying for elevations. Our surveyor was black. He was out there with his surveying equipment when a cop came by because someone reported a suspicious person.

Years later I had moved to a different company. While in the office I talked with my boss. He shared with me that many years ago he was a surveyor and while he was with a full crew playing out stations and forming up forms for a concrete pour a cop came by and asked him for his ID because someone reported a suspicious person. He was the only black guy there at the time.

I currently work with an older guy who's about to retire. The other day he told me he used to be a home inspector and one time while inspecting a property a couple cops came by asking for his ID because someone reported him.

I know there have been some high profile cases of black people doing every day things getting called on. These cases are high profile because there was a camera and social media. Just remember that for the longest time there was no cell phone cameras and social media. And not everyone makes a scene. Most people just show their ID to get it over with.

I know a lot of white people have trouble believing that cops get called on black people for doing ordinary things. Black people are too aware of this.
Why do you assume that the people who called the police were white?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Says who? You have absolutely no proof to back up anything you've said.
Because 2 black people get married that all of a sudden means they are on equal ground with whites?
lol Keep ignoring the facts. Blacks are earning less because they are less educated. They are less educated because they don't have the 2 parent families to support them better. Do you actually think single parent children are equal to 2 parent children when all the numbers prove otherwise?????????

None of this has to do with the fact that children from 2 parent families are much better off than children from single parent families. All you did was drone on and make something up about housing discrimination which didn't happen. That's another thing you got wrong.

Because they are less educated, they earn less money. The reason they are less educated is they do not have the support a 2 parent family would give them. But you keep making things up if it helps you sleep at night.

You made this all up. The main indicators of poverty are people who come from single parent homes, who don't work full time, who have kids before age 21 and don't marry. If one does the opposite of that they have a 75 percent chance of being middle class or higher, but you keep ignoring those facts while you blame whitey for keeping blacks down.

Nothing to do with racism, except on your part. The white devil isn't keeping you down.

What was made up....which part? Did I make up that blacks were enslaved in the US? Did I make up the fact that when slavery ended blacks were POOR. Keep in mind that at THAT point in time, there were many single black households as many black males were missing from their families, having been sold off to other plantations, having been killed, having sought freedom earlier by escaping enslavement ect. Thus, our freedom started with higher rates of both poverty and female headed households. That is true of my own ancestors. I looked up my family history and in the 1870 census, the first after black were freed, there was no male head of the household listed, only an elderly female born in the 1700's and 30 year old women with 7 kids. That women was my ancestor. So enslavement rendered blacks poor and with more single parent homes as the aftermath of slavery. Racial abuse and discrimination continued long after slavery ended, with massive incarceration and discrimination aimed in particular at the black male....which impacted poverty rates because males are the traditional providers and impacted family units as males were separated from the family as a result of being locked up to work chain gang or to work the fields. So males not being in the home is a condition exacerbated by racial oppression to the degree that the rate for blacks has ALWAYS been higher than the rate for whites in this nation.

That is as far back as I can trace my lineage.....an 1870 census of households in Claiborne County Mississippi.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-11-2018 at 05:29 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
I've read several posts in this thread, and the excuses and justifications and pointing out of crime rates from fellow whites people almost makes me ashamed to be white.

When reporting a suspicious person to law enforcement, their race (or what they look like in general) doesn't matter. What matters is how they are behaving. A scary looking black man carrying groceries a block away from a grocery store, or planting a tree, or doing construction work, is not a suspicious person period. It doesn't matter that black people commit crimes at higher rates - these are normal activities that should not be suspicious to anyone. A black guy pacing around the edge of a parking lot for like 15 minutes without pressing a button might be suspicious - deal with the activity people are doing, not the color of the skin. Otherwise, your obvious racism is showing.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But even without any slavery, since humans are such visual creatures and that for thousands of years not having access to transportation that was faster than a horse or a ship, many races were kept apart. So seeing such a contrast in skin tones, IMO there would still be a divide between the races. Humans do tend to keep to their own and trust only those of the same skin colour and religion.

So even without Africans being enslaved for 300 years, you would still be dealing with racist attitudes.
I look at things from the perspective of right and wrong. I look at things that I've been through from the perspective of right and wrong. One reason that I don't care if some people will "prefer their own kind". It's not an excuse for being a racist. It's not an excuse for individuals driving by and screaming the "n" word at me.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Remember guys, white people are not racist.

... But all blacks are criminals and all Latinos are Mexican

Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Remember guys, white people are not racist.

... But all blacks are criminals and all Latinos are Mexican
So when someone on here says all whites are racist and there only goal in life is too keep the black man down they are not telling the truth? Who knew!!! Thanks!!!

Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I've read several posts in this thread, and the excuses and justifications and pointing out of crime rates from fellow whites people almost makes me ashamed to be white.

When reporting a suspicious person to law enforcement, their race (or what they look like in general) doesn't matter. What matters is how they are behaving. A scary looking black man carrying groceries a block away from a grocery store, or planting a tree, or doing construction work, is not a suspicious person period. It doesn't matter that black people commit crimes at higher rates - these are normal activities that should not be suspicious to anyone. A black guy pacing around the edge of a parking lot for like 15 minutes without pressing a button might be suspicious - deal with the activity people are doing, not the color of the skin. Otherwise, your obvious racism is showing.
Those persons have nothing to do with you. They are what they are. The only thing you can do is call said persons out on their mentality and behavior.

The whole "suspicious person" thing is more or less a cover. Who is going to go to the police and say "There is a Black man in my neighborhood, I don't want him here. Arrest him"? It is much easier to make a "suspicious person" call. It sounds much more plausible. This is not to say that there aren't suspicious actions taking place. As you say, planting a tree, doing construction work, or carrying groceries, that isn't suspicious activity. Riding a bike at night is not suspicious activity. Taking a walk at night isn't suspicious. Some people just make that call to the police because they don't want certain people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies