Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What you fail to understand is that the WHOLE can NEVER BE GREATER than the sum of its parts.

"According to the U.S Census Bureau "The per capita income for the overall population in 2008 was $26,964; for non-Hispanic Whites, it was $31,313; for Blacks, it was $18,406; for Asians, it was $30,292; and for Hispanics, it was $15,674."" SOURCE

Those numbers were from 10 years ago, but the gap has gotten worse.

The per capita income of black individuals is 18,000 and 31,000 for whites. That means that the average income of a black individual in America is 18,000 dollars and average income is 31,000 for white individual. Hence, if you take a black man and women both with the average income of 18,000 and they get married you get a black household income of 36,000. Do the same for the average white person and you get a white household income of 62,000.

I know you are not a rocket scientist, but all you need is elementary math skills to see that the gap of income between blacks and whites have little to do with rates of marriage. Its that BLACK INDIVIDUAL EARN 58% of what the average white individual EARNS!!!!

That is not the worst of it, white families have 10 times the net worth of black families. Why? The reason is because WHITE INDIVIDUALS have a lot more average wealth and income creating wealth than black individuals (although much of wealth is wrapped up in ones home which are usually owned by couples). White home values are the result of whites not valuing living in any other community but white ones, which means most DOLLARS are demanding white communities which bids up the value of white homes. Contrarily, the only people who desire to live in black areas are generally black people, who are only 13% of the US population and who have far less dollars to bid up the value of homes in the black community, but also blacks desire to live in majority white communities as well. Then factor white flight and housing discrimination into the incubation and creation of white black neighborhoods.

So marriage really does not have jack slit to do with the gaps between blacks and whites. The gaps are due to black individuals making less money and having less wealth. Keep in mind the wealth is inheritable.....as well as poverty. 300 years of racial oppression stunted the accrual of wealth that would have been passed down to the current generation. In regards to poverty, poverty was the consequence of the end of slavery, as blacks were landless and penniless. Poverty is more likely to produce poverty than any other economic class is likely to produce the poor. Ergo, high black poverty was not born from single parent household....but the oppression of black individuals. A symptom or side affect of that oppression became.......higher rates of single parent households.

Again.....some of you people WANT to be ignorant because ignorance is required to rationalize and hold onto your racism.
Wow. You are really going down the rabbit hole with this post!!

I'd say that the reason for the income disparities between the races is all due to EDUCATION. Asians value academic achievement. They aren't smarter than the other races, but they are willing to study hard in order to GET AHEAD and so they are in careers that pay very well. Asians tend to go into the sciences and become specialty doctors and surgeons, although rarely do you find Asian nurses or nurse practitioners. And you will find Asians writing computer software too. As a culture, they want the brass ring. Most don't start off wealthy, but see excelling academically as an achievable goal.

If blacks and Hispanics don't make as much money, it's because they don't push themselves academically. And most young black adults are content to dream about success as a rapper or dream about being a professional athlete... even though if they showed the slightest interest in software coding, they'd be guaranteed a top paying job in Silicon Valley... companies like Google are anxious to diversity their staff, they've been trying for years to hire more blacks and Hispanics, but those groups seem not to be interested in the geek culture.

35 years ago, I worked with a very smart black man who knew how to write software, yet also had talents as a professional chef AND... was also a professional electric bass player. A real renaissance man. Too bad, there aren't more black men like him.

Anyway, if you can somehow inspire young black children to be interested in excelling in STEM curriculum at school, they will get college scholarships and have terrific well paying careers. But school teachers can only do so much, if the parents of black students aren't encouraging their children to do well in their classes.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the answer to breaking the cycle of poverty in the black community is EDUCATION. Either go to college or go into a highly needed and skilled trade... and work. Winning a lottery ticket is not the answer to their problems.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:43 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Both MIU and Indentured servant have valid points.
Asians really push academics over everyone else. You show me a poor white trash family and Ill show you exactly what you get from inner city poor minorities. White trash doesn't push education, horrible life choices and down right short term thinking only.
Successful parents have a plan. They teach their children to plan. They teach personal responsibility. They teach values and have high expectations of their children. They teach them to succeed and how it's done.

A 2 parent family obviously has a greater success rate. That doesn't mean married and living together, it means active in their children's lives.

Why do so many blacks fail? Well part of the reason might be that they are taught from a very early age that they can't succeed. Not only by their parents but by the system, by the media, by Hollywood, you name it. Movies like to portray blacks as thugs. Yes you get some that are role models but many down right drive the negative stereo type.
I just watched Black Panther. Great movie, even though it was fairly political. It also in my opinion, portrayed blacks as ruthless and disloyal.

I am honored to have helped children and to have helped them in life. To role model successful behaviors, provide nurturing environments and yes been strict and set high expectations along with a lot of accountability. All but one went to college, the 1 opted for a trade school. (my favorite kid). All are doing well and making North of 70g a year.
Black children are not inferior. They are not dumber, slower or more prone to screw ups. Their parents might be. The same as white trash parents, hispanic trash parents, or people who grew up being taught that they were born losers with no hope of success.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
What you fail to understand is that the WHOLE can NEVER BE GREATER than the sum of its parts.

"According to the U.S Census Bureau "The per capita income for the overall population in 2008 was $26,964; for non-Hispanic Whites, it was $31,313; for Blacks, it was $18,406; for Asians, it was $30,292; and for Hispanics, it was $15,674."" SOURCE

Those numbers were from 10 years ago, but the gap has gotten worse.

The per capita income of black individuals is 18,000 and 31,000 for whites. That means that the average income of a black individual in America is 18,000 dollars and average income is 31,000 for white individual. Hence, if you take a black man and women both with the average income of 18,000 and they get married you get a black household income of 36,000. Do the same for the average white person and you get a white household income of 62,000.

I know you are not a rocket scientist, but all you need is elementary math skills to see that the gap of income between blacks and whites have little to do with rates of marriage. Its that BLACK INDIVIDUAL EARN 58% of what the average white individual EARNS!!!!

That is not the worst of it, white families have 10 times the net worth of black families. Why? The reason is because WHITE INDIVIDUALS have a lot more average wealth and income creating wealth than black individuals (although much of wealth is wrapped up in ones home which are usually owned by couples). White home values are the result of whites not valuing living in any other community but white ones, which means most DOLLARS are demanding white communities which bids up the value of white homes. Contrarily, the only people who desire to live in black areas are generally black people, who are only 13% of the US population and who have far less dollars to bid up the value of homes in the black community, but also blacks desire to live in majority white communities as well. Then factor white flight and housing discrimination into the incubation and creation of white black neighborhoods.

So marriage really does not have jack slit to do with the gaps between blacks and whites. The gaps are due to black individuals making less money and having less wealth. Keep in mind the wealth is inheritable.....as well as poverty. 300 years of racial oppression stunted the accrual of wealth that would have been passed down to the current generation. In regards to poverty, poverty was the consequence of the end of slavery, as blacks were landless and penniless. Poverty is more likely to produce poverty than any other economic class is likely to produce the poor. Ergo, high black poverty was not born from single parent household....but the oppression of black individuals. A symptom or side affect of that oppression became.......higher rates of single parent households.

Again.....some of you people WANT to be ignorant because ignorance is required to rationalize and hold onto your racism.
Hang on there. I'll have to respond to this.

My family immigrated to the US back in the 90s with nothing and no one here to take us in. Really. We did not have a thing. Back in southeast asia, we were so poor that I remember when I was little there were a few times when our parents told us to sleep all day because there wasn't anything to eat that day. The opportunities were just not there for us.

The first place we lived in was a cockroach infested apartment with gangs and fights almost on a daily basis. It was bad. Our parents worked 2 minimum wage jobs to get by. Even though they still qualified for food stamps, they got the hell off of it as soon as they understood what it was. All 5 of us kids went to college in technical fields and got into really good careers.

My oldest sister never finished college not because she couldn't but because she had to drop out to get a full time minimum wage job to help raise us. She eventually found an assembly line job. From there, she worked her way up to technician and eventually got recognized as an engineer in a large electronic company. She is now the head electrical engineer there even without a college degree.

We did not win the lottery. We did not inherit anything. And no, I am not bragging, because this is actually a very normal story in our community. Most families we know from our background have the same story. We're not geniuses. We just have the right attitude in life.

We have a formula to success that works. It doesn't involve buying lottery tickets. And I know it works with people outside our community. How? My husband.

I met my husband 6 years ago. He had just graduated high school and was working a minimum wage job. We started going on dates and eventually got more deeply intimate. I got to know his family more. His biological father have 7 kids from 3 different women. None was married to him of course. Every single one of them to this day still work minimum wage jobs except for my husband. In fact, his entire extended family have always been poor and work low wage low skill jobs. They are the classic representation of what a white trash family would look like.

When I decided we were serious about our relationship, I asked him to move in with me and quit his warehouse job to go to school. Started out at community college. When he got his associates degree, we invited everyone on both sides of the family to attend. My family, especially my parents, weren't fond of him... or us. We're a gay couple, and it took them quite some time to get used to us. And yet, they all came to celebrate. Only 2 people from his side of the family showed up. His 2 aunts. And they didn't stay long.

This past December, he graduated with his BA. Again, we invited everyone to attend the ceremony. My entire family came. My sister's family lived in another state and yet they drove for 5 hours, stayed in a hotel over night, and attended the ceremony the next day. This time, no one from his side came. Too busy, you see.

He now works in a professional setting with far higher income than had he stayed in his low skill low wage jobs. He is the first in his extended family to get a college degree.

So, our formula to success clearly works. It does not at all include food stamps, having babies out of wedlock, or welfare.

And again, we never inherited or won anything in our lives. We worked from the bottom up. This is America, the land of opportunities!

One more thing. I work for a huge billion dollar engineering firm as a project manager. We are a liberal firm. So liberal that gay couples were given benefits long before the government required it. We also always try to diversify our people. Finding qualified black engineers is always a huge struggle for us. Engineering firms fight each other to get their hands on the rare qualified black engineering candidates. We pay very well. If only more black kids go into technical fields. There's always a shortage of black engineers everywhere. I regularly review resumes in the hiring process and it's always white white white white white white asian asian asian asian asian asian… with the once in a blue moon black candidate. Hispanic candidates are even rarer.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Asians really push academics over everyone else. You show me a poor white trash family and Ill show you exactly what you get from inner city poor minorities. White trash doesn't push education, horrible life choices and down right short term thinking only.
Successful parents have a plan. They teach their children to plan. They teach personal responsibility. They teach values and have high expectations of their children. They teach them to succeed and how it's done.

A 2 parent family obviously has a greater success rate. That doesn't mean married and living together, it means active in their children's lives.

Why do so many blacks fail? Well part of the reason might be that they are taught from a very early age that they can't succeed. Not only by their parents but by the system, by the media, by Hollywood, you name it. Movies like to portray blacks as thugs. Yes you get some that are role models but many down right drive the negative stereo type.
I just watched Black Panther. Great movie, even though it was fairly political. It also in my opinion, portrayed blacks as ruthless and disloyal.

I am honored to have helped children and to have helped them in life. To role model successful behaviors, provide nurturing environments and yes been strict and set high expectations along with a lot of accountability. All but one went to college, the 1 opted for a trade school. (my favorite kid). All are doing well and making North of 70g a year.
Black children are not inferior. They are not dumber, slower or more prone to screw ups. Their parents might be. The same as white trash parents, hispanic trash parents, or people who grew up being taught that they were born losers with no hope of success.
All of this makes sense and I'm in agreement with you. And additional factors come into play based on class differences. A black young adult going into the business world may be the first one in his family to get a college degree. He doesn't have anyone to help him negotiate a salary, or help him maneuver through corporate b.s. when he wants a promotion. There's nobody in his life to help him with things like investing his money, etc. So, just like a white student who is the first to get his college degree, they're behind the kids of any race whose parents can help him with these things.

There's another factor too, though, and it exists among people of poverty of all races. They're often raised in a way that makes them more than a little defiant when it comes to authority of any kind. They can't keep a job because of it.

And last but not least, all things being equal, there are still people who will hire a Ryan over someone with a name they cannot pronounce or spell. And that includes many black hiring managers who consider those names "ghetto".

It's only going to get worse though, as I keep saying. The more people cry racist over b.s. things - the more you'll find companies and hiring managers limiting their exposure....legal or not.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Hang on there. I'll have to respond to this.

My family immigrated to the US back in the 90s with nothing and no one here to take us in. Really. We did not have a thing. Back in southeast asia, we were so poor that I remember when I was little there were a few times when our parents told us to sleep all day because there wasn't anything to eat that day. The opportunities were just not there for us.

The first place we lived in was a cockroach infested apartment with gangs and fights almost on a daily basis. It was bad. Our parents worked 2 minimum wage jobs to get by. Even though they still qualified for food stamps, they got the hell off of it as soon as they understood what it was. All 5 of us kids went to college in technical fields and got into really good careers.

My oldest sister never finished college not because she couldn't but because she had to drop out to get a full time minimum wage job to help raise us. She eventually found an assembly line job. From there, she worked her way up to technician and eventually got recognized as an engineer in a large electronic company. She is now the head electrical engineer there even without a college degree.

We did not win the lottery. We did not inherit anything. And no, I am not bragging, because this is actually a very normal story in our community. Most families we know from our background have the same story. We're not geniuses. We just have the right attitude in life.

We have a formula to success that works. It doesn't involve buying lottery tickets. And I know it works with people outside our community. How? My husband.

I met my husband 6 years ago. He had just graduated high school and was working a minimum wage job. We started going on dates and eventually got more deeply intimate. I got to know his family more. His biological father have 7 kids from 3 different women. None was married to him of course. Every single one of them to this day still work minimum wage jobs except for my husband. In fact, his entire extended family have always been poor and work low wage low skill jobs. They are the classic representation of what a white trash family would look like.

When I decided we were serious about our relationship, I asked him to move in with me and quit his warehouse job to go to school. Started out at community college. When he got his associates degree, we invited everyone on both sides of the family to attend. My family, especially my parents, weren't fond of him... or us. We're a gay couple, and it took them quite some time to get used to us. And yet, they all came to celebrate. Only 2 people from his side of the family showed up. His 2 aunts. And they didn't stay long.

This past December, he graduated with his BA. Again, we invited everyone to attend the ceremony. My entire family came. My sister's family lived in another state and yet they drove for 5 hours, stayed in a hotel over night, and attended the ceremony the next day. This time, no one from his side came. Too busy, you see.

He now works in a professional setting with far higher income than had he stayed in his low skill low wage jobs. He is the first in his extended family to get a college degree.

So, our formula to success clearly works. It does not at all include food stamps, having babies out of wedlock, or welfare.

And again, we never inherited or won anything in our lives. We worked from the bottom up. This is America, the land of opportunities!

One more thing. I work for a huge billion dollar engineering firm as a project manager. We are a liberal firm. So liberal that gay couples were given benefits long before the government required it. We also always try to diversify our people. Finding qualified black engineers is always a huge struggle for us. Engineering firms fight each other to get their hands on the rare qualified black engineering candidates. We pay very well. If only more black kids go into technical fields. There's always a shortage of black engineers everywhere. I regularly review resumes in the hiring process and it's always white white white white white white asian asian asian asian asian asian… with the once in a blue moon black candidate. Hispanic candidates are even rarer.

I think I missed your point relative to the point I was making. Also, for the record, African Immigrants have the highest educational attainment of any immigrant groups. What Asians, Africans and a lot of other come with is YOUR NATIVE CULTURE. Who you are and where you come from is intact and that serves as the FOUNDATION for your growth. African Americans lost their true culture...well....lost is being a bit too euphemistic....it was stripped from blacks to help break them and make them slaves. Never underestimate the power of knowing who you are, where you came from, your traditions and heritage. Also, Asians benefit from being a favored minority among whites and you doubly benefit in the "information age" of high tech, because whites stereotype Asians as smart and therefore they look to give a lot of opportunity to Asians and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Blacks are stereotyped as not smart....low IQs and lazy and that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when whites treat blacks as such.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
All of this makes sense and I'm in agreement with you. And additional factors come into play based on class differences. A black young adult going into the business world may be the first one in his family to get a college degree. He doesn't have anyone to help him negotiate a salary, or help him maneuver through corporate b.s. when he wants a promotion. There's nobody in his life to help him with things like investing his money, etc. So, just like a white student who is the first to get his college degree, they're behind the kids of any race whose parents can help him with these things.

There's another factor too, though, and it exists among people of poverty of all races. They're often raised in a way that makes them more than a little defiant when it comes to authority of any kind. They can't keep a job because of it.

And last but not least, all things being equal, there are still people who will hire a Ryan over someone with a name they cannot pronounce or spell. And that includes many black hiring managers who consider those names "ghetto".

It's only going to get worse though, as I keep saying. The more people cry racist over b.s. things - the more you'll find companies and hiring managers limiting their exposure....legal or not.
Bolded. I have observed this pattern over the years. Why do you think this is? Poor people really do tend to be defiant to authority. Not just the police. Their boss. Anyone that has a little bit of authority. I never heard any reason why this is.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I think I missed your point relative to the point I was making. Also, for the record, African Immigrants have the highest educational attainment of any immigrant groups. What Asians, Africans and a lot of other come with is YOUR NATIVE CULTURE. Who you are and where you come from is intact and that serves as the FOUNDATION for your growth. African Americans lost their true culture...well....lost is being a bit too euphemistic....it was stripped from blacks to help break them and make them slaves. Never underestimate the power of knowing who you are, where you came from, your traditions and heritage.
I completely agree. Which is why I think the current welfare system (food stamps, public housing, money for single moms, etc.) is a waste of time, money, and effort. If politicians truly want to help uplift the blacks out of poverty, they ought to be spending their political will on education, training, social programs, etc. We have to teach impoverished blacks to aim to have stable families and aim for higher career paths.

A few posts ago, I made it clear that I blame the white majority on past, current, and future problems that the black community faces.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

I don't know where you get the ideal that black parents have ever taught their children that they cannot succeed. That is NOT true. We were told that we COULD succeed, despite racism, but that we had to work twice as hard as they did to get the same thing that they got. Now, if you are telling your kids that you can be anything they want to be.....but you are in poverty....that is a mixed message because kids are not stupid. If it were true then why did the parents choose poverty if they could be anything they wanted? Often times what you see around you is your biggest template for what you can and will become in life.

This is not rocket science. Unless a race is innately superior to black people......you would be in our SAME situation today had you experienced what we experienced when and where we experienced it. All your stories about how you immigrated to America and was poor and the like.....THAT IS NOT WHAT AFRICAN AMERICANS EXPERIENCED!!! That is not walking in the shoes of African Americans....nowhere near it. If you walked in our shoes.....your feet would hurt just like ours....unless you just think your feet are stronger and better.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I completely agree. Which is why I think the current welfare system (food stamps, public housing, money for single moms, etc.) is a waste of time, money, and effort. If politicians truly want to help uplift the blacks out of poverty, they ought to be spending their political will on education, training, social programs, etc. We have to teach impoverished blacks to aim to have stable families and aim for higher career paths.

A few posts ago, I made it clear that I blame the white majority on past, current, and future problems that the black community faces.

Yes....and it runs deeper than that because the damage to blacks was not just economical and cultural....the deepest damage has been psychological. Black people have to change the way we have been conditioned to see ourselves under a system and doctrine of white superiority. Until and unless the psychological component is addressed, the other attempts will fall woefully short.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you get the ideal that black parents have ever taught their children that they cannot succeed. That is NOT true. We were told that we COULD succeed, despite racism, but that we had to work twice as hard as they did to get the same thing that they got. Now, if you are telling your kids that you can be anything they want to be.....but you are in poverty....that is a mixed message because kids are not stupid. If it were true then why did the parents choose poverty if they could be anything they wanted? Often times what you see around you is your biggest template for what you can and will become in life.

This is not rocket science. Unless a race is innately superior to black people......you would be in our SAME situation today had you experienced what we experienced when and where we experienced it. All your stories about how you immigrated to America and was poor and the like.....THAT IS NOT WHAT AFRICAN AMERICANS EXPERIENCED!!! That is not walking in the shoes of African Americans....nowhere near it. If you walked in our shoes.....your feet would hurt just like ours....unless you just think your feet are stronger and better.
I agree.

Where I work, I'm a manager. Got some 50+ guys working for me. I've found that the most effective way to resolve a problem is not to dwell on the past but figure out how to go forward from here.

I have proposed what should be done to help uplift blacks out of poverty. Do you have your own ideas on how we should move forward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies