Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 06:02 AM

89,027 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uh huh. Because going in for a abortion, scheduling it, showing up, and recovering from it is just so "convenient"
Wouldn't going to the exact same clinic for contraceptives so an abortion isn't even needed in the first place be even more convenient? Yet they don't do that; Black women much more so than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 06:12 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Does any country in the world allow abortions in the last 3 months of the pregnancy for every reason, it being purely up to the mother?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Eh - debatable.

Also, who is to say that modern-day Quakers feel similarly and would "participate" in the war (that is a very weak definition of "participate").
I attended a Quaker church during my teen years. As a teen I wasn't always paying attention to what was being said but i find it interesting that now 40 years later I align very much with Quaker beliefs.

Quote:
I'm not necesarilly inherently opposed to what you're trying to argue - but you must realize that a great deal of things would become undone by this argument. A lot of publicly-funded things that you likely use and rely on.

You must also remember that similar debates have already been waged in the SC for decades, primarily around the "general Welfare of the United States". And these debates have not gone in the favor of "individual freedoms" versus the general welfare of the nation.

And like it or not, abortion in many cases can certainly be argued that it supports the general welfare of the nation. Especially if you want to quantify the costs of caring for a child with a severe and terminal illness vs. aborting that child.

If you REALLY want to debate this, prepare for a can of worms to be opened. And precedence is not on your side.
I have never complained about paying taxes to assist families as would be needed to take care of their kids in this way. How many wheelchair assist vans could we purchase for the cost of one bomb? Sadly, far too many who consider themselves pro-life would also prefer to pay for the bombs.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read it again. That's not what it says. And even what it does say is doubtful.

Planned Parenthood performs over 328,000 of the 650,000 abortions per year (about 50%) while serving 2.7 million patients a year. Some but not all of its 650 facilities provide abortion services, nationwide. That's a 12% abortion rate. PP is the nation's biggest abortion chain.
So what? It's 12 %. It's not your body that will be forced to carry a child you don't want. The alternative is to have a baby you don't want so others can feel good about it? Nonsense. You have no right to override a woman's decision. Moral busybodies.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I attended a Quaker church during my teen years. As a teen I wasn't always paying attention to what was being said but i find it interesting that now 40 years later I align very much with Quaker beliefs.

I have never complained about paying taxes to assist families as would be needed to take care of their kids in this way. How many wheelchair assist vans could we purchase for the cost of one bomb? Sadly, far too many who consider themselves pro-life would also prefer to pay for the bombs.
That's why I said that given the fact that Trump is nominating Constitutionalist Judges to SCOTUS, perhaps it's time to bring cases like these before SCOTUS again:

In the late 1990s three court cases were filed by Quaker war tax resisters using the recently enacted RFRA and the First Amendment guarantee to the free exercise of religion in an attempt to have penalties against war tax resisters removed and permit them to pay only for non-military programs. These cases were dismissed in lower courts, appealed, then dismissed again in the Second and Third Circuit Courts. In 2000 the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear any of the appeals.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
That's why I said that given the fact that Trump is nominating Constitutionalist Judges to SCOTUS, perhaps it's time to bring cases like these before SCOTUS again:
And you continue to be wrong.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
So what? It's 12%. It's not your body that will be forced to carry a child you don't want. The alternative is to have a baby you don't want so others can feel good about it? Nonsense. You have no right to override a woman's decision. Moral busybodies.
12% of their patients go there for abortions, and they perform about 50% of all abortions performed in the US each year. Expecting one's Constitutional Rights to be upheld doesn't equate to being a "moral busybody."

Are those who expect their 6th Amendment Rights to be upheld "moral busybodies?"

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

How about those who expect their 8th Amendment Rights to be upheld. Are they "moral busybodies?"

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

As Kennedy noted in the 7-2 majority opinion in the Colorado baker's case:

"The government, consistent with the Constitution's guarantee of free exercise, cannot impose regulations that are hostile to the religious beliefs of affected citizens and cannot act in a manner that passes judgment upon or presupposes the illegitimacy of religious beliefs and practices"

Two prohibitions there. Cannot impose in the first place, and then cannot act to enforce that imposition.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And you continue to be wrong.
No, I am not wrong. Read my last post quoting Kennedy's majority opinion rendered in the Colorado baker's case.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Gallup Poll. May 1-10, 2018. 68% believe abortion should be legal under only certain circumstance (rape, incest, mother's life is at stake, etc.) or illegal altogether. Only 29% believe abortion should be legal under any circumstances.

How Americans Feel About Abortion - Gallup Poll

Digging deeper into the data... Less than half of Americans support abortions conducted when the woman doesn't want the child "for any reason," and there is a sizable falloff in support for this from the first trimester (45%) to the third (20%).
Unlimited access to most things in life is not good.

Loaded question of a complex issue.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Unlimited access to most things in life is not good.

Loaded question of a complex issue.
It's a loaded issue. The bottom line is that the public doesn't support abortion for the sake of convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies