Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I am also one of them. Perhaps (just my opinion, but I'd lay down money on it) the left would stand a chance next election if they really understood that Trump's hard -core fan base is much smaller than they perceive. Until the left really opens their eyes and accepts that an incredibly large number of us don't like the guy through & through but will take him over what they're offering.....well...they stand a very, very good chance of losing again.

Y'all want to change the 2020 outcome? Then start paying attention to the silent majority. Your focus on the hard core right wing nutjobs will never be effective - asking "what it will take" is an exercise in futility, and there aren't enough of them on which to waste your energy. Put out someone better, 'cuz face it, what you've been serving up lately just blows.

I wouldn't count on this. Trump has an immense amount of supporters who like him bigly. The 2020 elections will reveal just how many.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Talk about reeking of a "troll" thread.... here we go again with more "tolerance".
It's a legitimate question. Trump himself has bragged about the extreme loyalty of his supporters, and there is nothing wrong with asking if that loyalty has limits. Then again, I don't think the thread about alliances was a troll thread either, just misguided.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:16 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
How long will it take before Loony Leftists realize they have been conned by the Dems and their media lapdogs? That is time and money you won't get back, folks! Some people are addicted to outrage because they have nothing and no one.

#WalkAway and start enjoying life again. There is a famous saying, "Living well is the best revenge."

Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Thank you, Treebeard - and that brings up something that keeps puzzling me. I understand that most informed, logical people probably would not have fallen for a con man like Trump. What I can't understand is why there aren't more sane Republicans speaking up, presumably still capable of common sense, good logic, and coherent writing.
I'm not a Republican, nor a Trump supporter/voter. There are people though who, IMO, fit your criteria (high income Trump supporting Republicans in Texas with low ($ wise) property tax bills who were most concerned with getting a tax cut). What would be the point of any of them 'coming forward' in this thread? They would probably either be attacked as liars re income, or be branded as selfish. In another thread, one poster called such people (Republicans caring about paying less in taxes, and thus voting for Trump hoping for that) not merely just selfish, but referred to them as sociopaths.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:25 PM

949 posts, read 788,833 times
Trump's fan base is unlikely to abandon him unless his policies inflict a lot of pain on them. It took a long time for GW's fan base to ditch him, but that they did after realizing the US mission in Iraq wasn't accomplished as planned, followed by the financial meltdown.

I think Trump will be very careful to ensure the trade war doesn't get out of hand and damage his support. So far he has a record of going in bigly, only to realize that his objective either cannot be achieved or is misguided... in which case he backtracks and redirects blame (like any good politician!).

It will be interesting to see how the trade war turns out over the next few months, given the midterms are only months away. I'm still betting he backtracks, much to the chagrin of his idealogues (Navarro for one) that are pushing him on China and others. Just like he backtracked on the child separation policy likely pushed by Miller.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 07-07-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 06:32 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Are you talking about the nearly 2 Million homeless, living in the streets, citizen kids, many that do not have parents with them? No, of course you aren't. The left doesn't care about them, at all, much like they don't care about the illegal kids. The illegal kids are simply useful to the left right now (mid terms), once they are no longer useful then the left will kick them to the curb.
Many on the left have been concerned about homelessness for decades. If you want to talk about homelessness and affordable housing, I suggest you look first to some of the things being proposed by Dr. Ben Carson, who seems to me like nothing more than a fox in the HUD's henhouse.

Don't EVEN go there, claiming we don't care. Just don't.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What we used to call "funny-peculiar" back in junior high, perhaps.

Otherwise, Abraham Lincoln is still unchallenged when it comes to presidential humor.

Though Trump's recent comments that Elton John had an organ but that he, Trump, didn't have an organ were hilarious, I do admit.
Kennedy was supposedly very funny. Lincoln largely told jokes, I think, which is not necessarily the same thing as being funny

Trump is not "funny" in any real sense. Most of his supposed jokes are just insults, and if he were in any true audience - not just his slavish supporters and claque - or if you read his words, they wouldn't be funny. But he does have a nice actorly sense of expression and inflection, so that he can get his supporters to laugh just by a shrug and a grin.

I'm trying to remember who it was who observed that Trump doesn't really laugh.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:44 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Your hatred for straight white Christian conservatives is showing. A perfect example of the left doing the very things that they accuse conservatives of.

Trump might not say everything perfectly, but he's the perfect man for the job.
He's a gay man, within a hard core right wing Baptist family, living in Oklahoma.

If you were in his shoes, how would you feel?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:06 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
=RMESMH;52424350]He's a gay man, within a hard core right wing Baptist family, living in Oklahoma.
If you were in his shoes, how would you feel?

That is no excuse. What good does hating white, straight Christian conservatives do anyone? Or hating anyone for that matter.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Seems like he can do no wrong.
What's your limit for this guy? To those that are Trump fans.

What if he becomes close allies with dictators?

Just going by what I see posted here. Like the "Reassessing our allies" thread. Just reeks of "troll". And there just seems to be every excuse imaginable for Trump these days.

The guy is just like me. One with a lot more money. He can run a fork lift, backhoe, crane and work a shovel and drywall knife, but enjoys the finer things in life, and that makes you envious and jealous, of "The Donald".

You know how hard it is to make an enemy and have to watch your back every waking moment?
Surely you know it is much harder to make a friend, and not have to worry so much.
If we could all get along, instead of making so many enemies, you would not be so hated at this point in time. Violence doesn't solve everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies