Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Do you support those kind of absurd controls on guns?
False equivalency is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency. If you are a gun nut, and want to promote your right to bear arms, do it on its own terms. If your arguments are valid and convincing, they should stand on their own. Linking abortion and the right to bear arms is utterly silly, and undermines your position on guns. Who told you to do this? Don't listen to them next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:11 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,090 times
There are still no anti-choice posters saying what they think should be done with all the unwanted babies women would be forced to bear if they got their way.

If guys think they have problems getting sex now, they might want to consider how much less they might get if women were forced to carry to term any unwanted conceptions. I am sixty-six and uninterested in sex now, but if I were young and knew I would be forced to give birth if my birth control failed, I would be much less inclined to take ANY chance of pregnancy by having sex at all, no matter how small or unlikely the chance may be—unless I were ready to have a child.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:12 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The irony of wanting to force a woman to participate in carrying a child against her will...
Unless she was raped, she didn't become pregnant "against her will".

Even in the case of BC failure, a responsible adult engages in sexual activity acknowledging that possiblity.

Don't want to get pregnant under any circumstances?

Don't have intercourse.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You cannot outlaw abortions, only legal abortions. They will happen regardless of any reactionary neanderthal laws to try to control women. The GOP needs to change its symbol from an elephant to a coat hanger.

If men would learn to keep their zippers up, we might not have a problem.
Other than in instances of actual rape.......

Men, for all their enthusiasm, don't "drop their zippers" without a woman's consent.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hilarious and totally PRICELESS!

Use the same fallacy the anti-gunners use, for abortion and the insanity ensues from the exact same people.
I haven’t found a single leftie in here smart enough to see the purpose of this thread, even after I spelled it out.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Unless she was raped, she didn't become pregnant "against her will".

Even in the case of BC failure, a responsible adult engages in sexual activity acknowledging that possiblity.

Don't want to get pregnant under any circumstances?

Don't have intercourse.
So you are okay if the bio dads were forced to raise the offspring? If you are going to force the woman to carry and bear the child, that seems fair to me.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:24 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Then we should enforce some common sense abortion controls, nobody is coming to take away anyone's abortion.
There are no common sense abortion controls. Common sense dictates that we allow each citizen the right to live according to their own self-determined values. To do otherwise is tyranny, and we don't do that in a free society.

Remember, these viewpoints are both valid to the individual holding them:

A fertilized egg is nothing more than 2 cells combined into a new cell that will one day become a human being. If I don't desire to one day be responsible for the human being this will become, but is not now, it is rational to remove it before the potential becomes realized. Abortion is the logical way to prevent the potential from being realized. And it is fine, because a fertilized egg is NOT a human life. There are no ethical issues to be considered, because a fertilized egg is not a human being.

OR

A fertilized egg is the hand of God creating new life. It is not Man's place to disturb this process, and abortion is a crime against God.

A free society is made up of many individuals each having his own set of values. No one's values are presumed to be intrinsically right. We therefore agree to live and let live. We agree not to impose our values on others.

Some people believe in a God and may choose to run their lives accordingly.

Some people do not believe in God and may choose to run their lives accordingly.

Some people believe abortion has no more ethical significance than killing an insect.

Some people believe that an embryo is an expression of God and is a human being now.

In a free society, no one is allowed to impose their religious beliefs on others. And atheism is just as valid as religion and must be respected to the same extent. Meaning not respected at all by the State.

So an ideal society? People who have strong opinions about the negativity of abortion don't have them and live their lives without them. People who have strong opinions that abortion is a perfectly valid means of birth control live their lives accordingly and have abortions when they need them.

Let's stay with the free society concept. Everyone can live according to their own personal values, without coercion and compulsion from those who have different views.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
All cells are life. Not an argument. Have you ever jerked off? Of course you have. Maybe yesterday. All those dead sperm cells? Every one was alive, and was a potential human being. If they were found on Mars, you have my respect, but that's not important now. If they were found on Mars, they would not be miraculous, they would not be human beings, they would be: cells on Mars. That's it.

You are attempting to force your irrational views on others. Don't do that. Live your life, and only your life. Don't have an abortion if you don't want to.

It is a perfectly rational viewpoint to view a fertilized egg as of no more significance than a collection of cells. An insect is a collection of cells. A sperm cell is just that, and nothing more. A sperm cell is not a human, and is not half a human. An egg is not a human, and not half a human. A fertilized egg is not a human being, and won't be a human being for many months. While it remains in this state, it can be removed with no moral or ethical significance whatsoever.

That is a perfectly rational viewpoint.

If you don't agree with it, then you may conduct yourself according to your own viewpoint. So you might not permit yourself to have an abortion, and you might conduct your sexual activities in such a way as to eliminate the need for an abortion. Good. You are now a moral and rational member of society. Live your life to your standards, and leave others to do the same.

I am not attempting to force my views on anyone.

As I have previously stated in this and other threads on the subject, I take a Libertarian stance on abortion.

Meaning that just because I think it's abhorrent doesn't mean that I think it should be illegal....at least not completely anyways.

However, that doesn't mean that I can't or won't express my opinion on the morality of it.

Especially when people are using irrational and downright illogical thought processes to justify ending another human life to themselves.

I think if more people were really honest with themselves about what they are doing, we wouldn't need laws about it.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
And I support gun ownership for some because the poetic justice/irony when they accidentally shoot themselves always cracks me up. It’s like hearing about the guy who loses a finger every year while annoying neighbors with his firecrackers.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
So you are okay if the bio dads were forced to raise the offspring? If you are going to force the woman to carry and bear the child, that seems fair to me.
We already force bio Dads to help pay for raising the child.

And like I've said repeatedly, I'm not advocating forcing anyone to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies