Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 10:58 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Perhaps the background check could be used for abortion registration purposes. How else could the gov track who has had too many abortions?
Look...this whole attempted analogy with guns is just not working out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
"At least not completely anyways" is an unacceptable equivocation. If you are Libertarian on abortion, than you must leave it to be legal 100% and without conditions, limitations, exclusions, or other door-opening methodologies that would permit you to impose your religion on others.

There is nothing illogical about the position that a fertilized egg is NOT a human being. You may "feel" that it is wrong, but that is exactly what it is, a feeling. Feelings are not a tool of cognition. Reason is the ONLY tool of cognition.

I'm not a Libertarian, I just have some Libertarian leaning views.
But even most dedicated Libertarians acknowledge that some laws are necessary for society to function.

Putting limits on abortion after the first trimester isn't really unreasonable and those who support abortion on demand after the second trimester are truly vile human beings IMO.

And one could argue that abortion of a viable fetus is a violation of the non aggresion concept.

And as I have also previously stated, I'm not particularly religious either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
But, do not tell others how to live or when to bring a new human into the world, or not to bring a new human into the world. That's not your call. Don't do that. It's called Sharia Law when we impose our values on others against their will. We don't do that in a free society. So don't even suggest it.

Quote a post from me where I am telling others how to live........

I'll wait.

Last edited by FatBob96; 07-08-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 11:02 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Having said that, the mechanics of intercourse only work if both the man and the woman "drop their zippers".
Would you have been okay if you were married and your wife had said, “Bob, I don’t want to get pregnant under any circumstances because I have had all the kids I want to have, so we are not going to have sex any more until I get through menopause?”

Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'd love to hear what the Ladies have to say about that. Some would most likely take exception to your comment.
If the men are doing so without the woman's consent, then it's rape...... which is what I've already said.

Are some men "persuasive" about initiating sex?

Sure, but if the woman gives in to a man's persuasion, that's consent.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Would you have been okay if you were married and your wife had said, “Bob, I don’t want to get pregnant under any circumstances because I have had all the kids I want to have, so we are not going to have sex any more until I get through menopause?â€

Would I be happy if my wife said that?

No, but my wife would never propose such a thing. And there are alternative types of sex that are guaranteed to never result in an unwanted pregnancy.

Having said that, sex without both partners consent is rape, even in marriage, so if my wife were to decide such a thing, that is up to her.

Whether or not I'm happy about it would be irrelevant to the question, if not to our marriage.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Would you have been okay if you were married and your wife had said, “Bob, I don’t want to get pregnant under any circumstances because I have had all the kids I want to have, so we are not going to have sex any more until I get through menopause?”
I don't think married men realize they have 3 choices:

1) Be ok with the possibility of abortion should contraceptives fail

2) Be ok with the possibility of having 15 kids

3) Have the saddest, worst marriage ever because you won't have vaginal sex unless you plan to conceive.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
CLUELESS 22 pages later!!!!! Too friggin funny!

The entire thread is to use the same narrative the loony liberal left use against public firearm ownership, against them on the abortion issue. It is nothing more.

The mental gymnastics is amazing. They totally debunk the "we need common sense gun control" as the weasel around the control issue. Not the gun or abortion.... The control.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Access? You think 14000 public healthcare facilities isn't enough access?

Why do you think people are so inherently stupid?
Why do you think people realize they are pregnant immediately? Many women do not have typical cycles, and even then, stress, exercise, or illness can make a woman with fairly normal cycles be late or skip a month. If you were using birth control that you didn't know failed, knowing about your pregnancy within 6 weeks could be challenging.

I was on the pill when I missed a period. That was a little weird - but not entirely. I had PCOS and was a year out from cancer treatment which made my already wonky cycles even worse. I had a weird feeling about it, so I took a pregnancy test. Thankfully I acted on that feeling, and was able to get an abortion at 6 weeks. Even then, I was close to the window. Didn't get an expected period on a Friday, took the test on Sunday, got an appointment with my oncologist on a Wednesday, and had the medical abortion on a Saturday.

When I'm not on the pill, I can go 3 months with no period only to have it for a full month straight, have a week off, and have it start again. That's not uncommon for women, and makes it VERY difficult to know about an unplanned pregnancy within the 6 week window.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:44 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm not a Libertarian, I just have some Libertarian leaning views.
But even most dedicated Libertarians acknowledge that some laws are necessary for society to function.

Putting limits on abortion after the first trimester isn't really unreasonable and those who support abortion on demand after the second trimester are truly vile human beings IMO.

And one could argue that abortion of a viable fetus is a violation of the non aggresion concept.

And as I have also previously stated, I'm not particularly religious either.

Quote a post from me where I am telling others how to live........

I'll wait.

Of course some laws are necessary for society to function.

But no abortion laws are necessary for society to function. Even in the second trimester. Even in the third trimester. Your opinion of what constitutes a "vile human being" is of importance to you, but nobody else. I support your right to associate with anyone you want, and to disassociate with anyone you want.

But that's where I insist that your power begin and end. So I do not support you thinking certain human beings are "vile" into legislative action with respect to abortion. Think what you want, hang with who you want, do what you want. But do not prevent others from enjoying that same freedom.

If one arrives at the logical and rational view that a potential is a potential and a realized is a reality, and one then concludes that a fertilized egg is not a human being and can be removed and disposed of at will, then that's that.

You can have a different emotional position, and that can guide your life, but no one else's. Keep out of it. Don't Sharia others by coercion and compulsion.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:46 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
CLUELESS 22 pages later!!!!! Too friggin funny!

The entire thread is to use the same narrative the loony liberal left use against public firearm ownership, against them on the abortion issue. It is nothing more.

The mental gymnastics is amazing. They totally debunk the "we need common sense gun control" as the weasel around the control issue. Not the gun or abortion.... The control.
The OP is apparently a gun nut and he tried a silly tactic to advance his 2nd amendment support. Retarded really, but hey, you can't blame a guy for trying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies