Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I've always been agnostic on this one. No strong opinion either way. UrbanAdventurer leans conservative but also has a Machiavellian streak. Why bother bringing yet another mouth to feed into the world if you don't want it and can't realistically afford to take care of it? What's one dead anything in the grand scheme of things. They got off easy if you ask me. This has nothing to do with women's rights per se either, merely one of practicality. it should be an unpleasant last resort because there are plenty of responsible ways to never have to face the issue if you have moral or religious hangups about it.

Agreed.....

However I can't help but notice the referencing yourself in the third person.....

There was another poster a few years back that was fond doing the same thing.

Hmmmmm....I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Agreed.....

However I can't help but notice the referencing yourself in the third person.....

Hmmmmm....I wonder?
I've had this screen name for a long time so probably not.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:21 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Why?

What is it that makes her body more important than the fetus?

What is it in your view that makes one human life more valuable than another?
There is only one body to discuss, that of the realized living woman. A fetus is not a life, it is a collection of cells that can be removed and discarded for any or no reason without ethical implications.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Maybe so, but abortion advocates always seem to want to use these types of extreme examples in order to justify the far more common run of the mill baby killing on demand for convenience.

Same goes for instances of pregnancy due to rape etc.

Exceptions to the rule don't disprove the rule.

You must have a sour opinion of women. I've never met one that would ever consider an abortion on demand a convenience.

This thread is ultimately pointless. Abortion is here to stay. Roe vs Wade isn't getting overturned. Abortion is up to the woman. If you feel other wise, it should be a requirement that you adopt an unwanted child. Otherwise, go mind your own.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:35 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Amen to this post. Men cant imagine that avoiding pregnancy would be their responsibility too.

Men don't get pregnant and have to deal with the consequences . Common sense dictates that the person who WILL get pregnant take responsibility for preventing one if she doesn't want to be pregnant . This is not intended to suggest that men get off free and clear, but just to inject some common sense into a ridiculous question . Women will be the ones having to carry a baby or get an abortion. Rational thinking dictates that they take steps to avoid unwanted pregnancies regardless of what the man does or does not do .

Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default There are several subjects @ play here, & all of them are volatile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
In 2014 over 600,000 abortions were performed in the United States and with the recent revelation that we'll be getting a new and likely conservative justice added to the court the left has become concerned about the possible overturning of Roe vs Wade. There's talk of the SCOTUS outlawing abortion or possibly throwing the issue back to the states.

Nobody wants to take away your abortions ladies, we just want some common sense abortion controls. I mean, why would so many of these people actually need an abortion? Can't we come to some sort of compromise? Perhaps we could eliminate abortions for anyone who's had an abortion before? What about strict background checks for anyone seeking an abortion? What about closing the Planned Parenthood loophole? These seem like common sense abortion controls that everyone should be able to support right?
No, it's not just the Left concerned about impacts to Roe v. Wade - it's women in general, Liberals, Conservatives who are concerned about privacy laws, I assume Independents & anyone who doesn't want to have to negotiate with the state to regulate their own body - or their daughter's or granddaughter's, or niece's or sister's, for that matter. There's also a concern for the Judiciary as a co-equal branch of government, & the rule of law. TMK, the Supreme Court would not have ruled if Congress had ever found the spine to pass legislation on the subject. Now, going on 47 years after Roe, it's late in the day for Congress to suddenly blink awake & decide to act.

& perhaps Trump would truly like to take the GOP down with him in flames, a kind of political Götterdämmerung. I can't think of anything more likely to motivate a bigger block of women & political allies to rush to the polls & severely spank an unruly party than for a Trump Supreme Court to reverse Roe.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Ok for Pete's sake...will you give up on the Sharia nonsense already?

And I've already told you that I'm not religious.

I'm not advocating outlawing abortion, so stop talking like I am.
Your viewpoints are religious and Sharia-like, regardless of your professed beliefs. You want to insert your hands into the social vagina and rummage around, making rules and issuing “common sense” edicts and controls.

And by the way, you did not say you were “not religious”. You said you were not “very” religious. Whatever the hell that means. You are apparently religious enough to be in lockstep with religious arguments that seek to control and define a woman’s body, what it includes, what it omits, what parts of it have rights and when.

So if you don’t want to be viewed as someone favoring Christian variant Sharia, then don’t adopt that viewpoint.

But you actually want to do just that, and you know it. You want to control women and what they can do, when they can do it and under what circumstances. My position is that you should butt out of the lives of others, and leave them free to make this personal decision for themselves without your input.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
The "social vagina"?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your viewpoints are religious and Sharia-like, regardless of your professed beliefs. You want to insert your hands into the social vagina and rummage around, making rules and issuing “common sense” edicts and controls.

And by the way, you did not say you were “not religious”. You said you were not “very” religious. Whatever the hell that means. You are apparently religious enough to be in lockstep with religious arguments that seek to control and define a woman’s body, what it includes, what it omits, what parts of it have rights and when.

So if you don’t want to be viewed as someone favoring Christian variant Sharia, then don’t adopt that viewpoint.

But you actually want to do just that, and you know it. You want to control women and what they can do, when they can do it and under what circumstances. My position is that you should butt out of the lives of others, and leave them free to make this personal decision for themselves without your input.

Men trying to impose their say on women's bodies are stuck in the middle ages and suffer from self confidence issues, whether they want to admit or not. Only explanation for those trying to control the opposite sex in such a matter that has zero effect on themselves.

Any woman ever tried to pass any sort of similar law on men would be laughed out of the room.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Agreed.....

Hmmmmm....I wonder?
I thought the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I've had this screen name for a long time so probably not.
the correct answer would be to say it wasnt you, but you purposefully gave vague answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies