Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
But what if some Americans are scared of abortions or just want to eliminate them completely? Shouldn't their concerns be important and respected?
Of course. Nobody is making those people who are scared of abortions have them so I fail to see the issue.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
But it's for everyone's safety and the American people agree...
You could say that about overturning the 2nd amendment. I mean, some people are definitely afraid of guns and would like to see the right to carry them removed.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Thank your mother every day that she chose to give you life.
This sort of comment is highly presumptuous. Not everyone had great moms, great childhoods, or has a great life.

Not everyone is worried about what their mom could have done before they were born, because they'd never know about it either way.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
My gun doesn't pose any more or less threat to your life than your abortion threatens my life. In fact, my gun(s) will likely never harm a person and they're even less likely to kill another person. Your abortion is fundamentally designed to prevent and/or eliminate a human life. Abortions affect 10 times as many lives as guns do each year in this country and that includes justifiable shootings and suicides.
Not true. A gun is a dangerous object.

Your gun could be stolen tomorrow and used to kill a room full of people. You have no clue what could happen.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Wow. Some women must really hate kids.
Some women do not want to have kids. Doesn't mean that they hate kids.

I want abortion safe and legal. I love kids. I have raised a few of them and I WANTED THEM.

That's the thing... women who do not want a kid, or do not want one at the time they become pregnant, should not be FORCED to carry a pregnancy to term because some 3rd party thinks they should handle their medical condition in a different way.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes I do.

However that situation is far outside the norm and far beyond what most abortion rights advocates have in mind when they push for legalization of late term abortion.

Anyone can cite extreme examples....it doesn't make them particularly relevant in the big picture.

Late term abortions account for 1.3% of all abortions. So we are already talking about an extreme by talking about late term abortions at all.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/...cid=ss6624a1_w

Keep in mind most legislation regarding late term abortion is written to only allow it to "save the life of the mother", so how do we protect the rights of people like my friend? Or do we just force people like her to bring a child to term who is suffering just to prevent 1.3% of abortions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe so, but abortion advocates always seem to want to use these types of extreme examples in order to justify the far more common run of the mill baby killing on demand for convenience.

Same goes for instances of pregnancy due to rape etc.

Exceptions to the rule don't disprove the rule.
If we say that some should be able to have legal abortions but because they are the "extremes" they don't matter, what you are actually saying is you are willing to sacrifice the rights of some to punish others. Others meaning the bad women, who should be punished for having an unwanted pregnancy.

Does that seem right to you?

Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Who is "pushing for late term abortion" and how do you define "late term abortion"?

More Guttmacher numbers:

https://www.guttmacher.org/evidence-...later-abortion

"Although most abortions take place early in pregnancy, 9% of women who obtain an abortion do so after the first trimester (at 14 weeks or later), and slightly more than 1% of abortions are performed at 21 weeks or later."

"Women seeking later abortions typically experience more logistical delays—including difficulties finding a provider, raising funds for the procedure and travel, finding a facility and securing insurance coverage—than women who receive a first-trimester abortion."

There are abortion rights activists that advocate the "right to choose" right up until delivery.

That's a bit extreme.....but to me, anything after the first trimester and most certainly after the second, had better be to save the life of the mother.

There really isn't any valid excuse to wait that long for any other reason.

Not only is it more gruesome, it's more dangerous to the mother as well.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:09 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If we say that some should be able to have legal abortions but because they are the "extremes" they don't matter, what you are actually saying is you are willing to sacrifice the rights of some to punish others. Others meaning the bad women, who should be punished for having an unwanted pregnancy.

Does that seem right to you?
Once again, you and others are mistaking my moral objections to abortion as a desire to make it illeagle.

That is not the case.

My personal opinion is sort of irrelevant...

But I can see how those of you on the Left can get so easily confused by that distinction, since it is one that is so rarely practiced by you.

Liberals, (and to be fair, most Statists in general) are just fine with making anything they disagree with illeagle.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
I've always been agnostic on this one. No strong opinion either way. UrbanAdventurer leans conservative but also has a Machiavellian streak. Why bother bringing yet another mouth to feed into the world if you don't want it and can't realistically afford to take care of it? What's one dead anything in the grand scheme of things. They got off easy if you ask me. This has nothing to do with women's rights per se either, merely one of practicality. it should be an unpleasant last resort because there are plenty of responsible ways to never have to face the issue if you have moral or religious hangups about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies