Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 PM

18,471 posts, read 7,112,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Every fetus is unique, and there is no specific time when viability can be declared. Leave the decision to the woman involved in consultation with whoever she decides is relevant. Keep your hands to yourself. Keep your hands out of other people's vaginas and minds. Tend to your own business. And stop trying to impose your religious beliefs on others. Don't Sharia your fellow Americans. We don't do that in a free country.

Ok for Pete's sake...will you give up on the Sharia nonsense already?

And I've already told you that I'm not religious.

I'm not advocating outlawing abortion, so stop talking like I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
True. I had a friend who had a late term abortion after having tried for many years to conceive. She aborted well after any arbitrary "viability" deadline. This was because she (the fetus) had a severe form of osteoimperfectii and had her brain growing outside of her skull. Not only was she suffering (multiple broken bones in utero) but she was not going to survive birth. So my friend had the late term abortion. That sort of decision should be made between a woman and her doctor. Don't you agree?

Yes I do.

However that situation is far outside the norm and far beyond what most abortion rights advocates have in mind when they push for legalization of late term abortion.

Anyone can cite extreme examples....it doesn't make them particularly relevant in the big picture.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:14 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,556,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why?

What is it that makes her body more important than the fetus?

What is it in your view that makes one human life more valuable than another?
Because the fetus doesnt survive until the late stages of pregnancy without the mothers body. It cant. Doesnt have the development to survive outside. If one potentially human, cant survive without its host, which do you think is more important.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,556,758 times
Quote:
Yes I do.

However that situation is far outside the norm and far beyond what most abortion rights advocates have in mind when they push for legalization of late term abortion.

Anyone can cite extreme examples....it doesn't make them particularly relevant in the big picture.
To say extreme examples dont count or arent relevant, degrades the individual. Groups dont matter and are worthless, when individuals have to make this decision of whether to abort.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM

37,157 posts, read 41,357,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've already asked the following question, and NO one has answered it:

Women can get contraceptive services/supplies at the exact same Planned Parenthood facilities where they're getting their abortions, or at one of the likely much closer 14,000+ publicly funded (Title X) Family Planning Clinics, nationwide. That would eliminate the need for having so many abortions in the first place, so why don't they do so?
It has been answered. You keep ignoring the answer.

1. There are not 14,000 Publicly funded (Title X) Family Planning Clinics nationwide.

https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...-united-states

"In 2010, subsidized family planning services were provided at 8,409 safety-net health centers—3,165 (38%) were federally qualified health centers, 2,439 (29%) were health department clinics, 1,324 (16%) were other clinics, 817 (10%) were Planned Parenthood centers and 664 (8%) were hospital clinics."

That means that 10% of those "publicly funded (Title X) Family Planning Clinics, nationwide" were PP clinics.

2. Half the women who request abortion were using contraceptives in the cycle in which they conceived, obtained at PP or elsewhere.

Edit: I looked for more recent data on the number of clinics and found this.

The numbers did not change significantly between 2010 and 2015:

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/pu...ic-survey-2015

"In 2010, state or county public health departments administered 29% of all clinics and served 27% of all clients receiving care from this network of providers. Planned Parenthood affiliates administered 10% of clinics, but served more than one-third of the clients (36%). The remaining clinics were administered by FQHCs (38%), serving 16% of clients; or by other types of agencies (16%), serving 13% of clients. Hospital outpatient clinics account for 8% of the network and make up the largest single clinic type within the “other clinics” category. Groups too small to report separately include independent women’s clinics, other community clinics not part of the FQHC network (such as FQHC look-alikes*), Indian Health Service clinics and other unaffiliated clinics."

"Forty-five percent of all publicly funded clinics providing contraceptive care received some funding from the federal Title X program. This status varies widely by provider type: 86% of health department and 69% of Planned Parenthood clinics receive Title X funding, compared with 17% of FQHCs. Nearly three-quarters (72%) of Title X–funded sites reported being focused on providing reproductive health services."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-08-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Because the fetus doesnt survive until the late stages of pregnancy without the mothers body. It cant. Doesnt have the development to survive outside. If one potentially human, cant survive without its host, which do you think is more important.
The definition of "viable" is a fetus capable of surviving outside of the mother's body.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
To say extreme examples dont count or arent relevant, degrades the individual. Groups dont matter and are worthless, when individuals have to make this decision of whether to abort.

Maybe so, but abortion advocates always seem to want to use these types of extreme examples in order to justify the far more common run of the mill baby killing on demand for convenience.

Same goes for instances of pregnancy due to rape etc.

Exceptions to the rule don't disprove the rule.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm just talking about common sense abortion controls that all Americans agree on, what's not reasonable about that?
What you're really talking about it getting into people's personal lives.

Abortion is a legal, medical procedure.

Why do people want to try to decide what other people should or should not do?

How does your example (number of abortions) matter?

I doubt most people have had multiple abortions and if they have, they might have a good reason. Have you ever considered the idea that a woman who has had multiple abortions MIGHT NOT be the best mother if she was forced to have a kid?

And, please don't go with something punitive like "force her to have one and put it up for adoption" because forcing people to breed like farm animals is not a good idea, either.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:37 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nobody is coming to take away anyone's abortion, we just want common sense abortion controls to make this country safer and to protect children.
Children don't typically have abortions. So, they're already safe from them.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM

37,157 posts, read 41,357,088 times
Quote:
Yes I do.

Who is "pushing for late term abortion" and how do you define "late term abortion"?

More Guttmacher numbers:

https://www.guttmacher.org/evidence-...later-abortion

"Although most abortions take place early in pregnancy, 9% of women who obtain an abortion do so after the first trimester (at 14 weeks or later), and slightly more than 1% of abortions are performed at 21 weeks or later."

"Women seeking later abortions typically experience more logistical delays—including difficulties finding a provider, raising funds for the procedure and travel, finding a facility and securing insurance coverage—than women who receive a first-trimester abortion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies