Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The honest answer? People who don't give a damn. They're just following the lead of Trump. Why does that surprise me?
You desperately wish to make this a Trump problem. It isn't. I certainly won't go back and forth with you over this, because I think you are being emotional over reasonable, therefore we will never meet in the middle. I respect your position even though I don't agree with it.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You desperately wish to make this a Trump problem. It isn't. I certainly won't go back and forth with you over this, because I think you are being emotional over reasonable, therefore we will never meet in the middle. I respect your position even though I don't agree with it.
This is definitely not a Trump problem. But what has happened lately and their response to it certainly is.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I am not without compassion for the plight of immigrants, and as a Texan have many friends and colleagues who emigrated here from points south. I applaud the efforts of any person who diligently and patiently applied for citizenship legally, and did everything above-board to receive it. They are the really courageous ones.

I am not devoid of compassion for these children, either. But having taken the time and effort to educate myself with our immigration detention system and it's limitations, I find very little fault with our Administration. They can certainly do a better job, but they do not deserve the amount of criticism they are receiving. There are Americans here busting their asses to do a good job and care for these children, whose own parents put less effort into their concern of when they brought them here illegally.
^ this 100%

Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
One more thing to consider in this:

Once they cross an international border, they can no longer claim refugee status which is necessary to claim asylum. Unless these are refugees of Canadian or Mexican origin, they are not asylum seekers. Once you cross into a safe country, you are no longer fleeing persecution.

"Article 1(A)(2) of the 1951 Convention defines a refugee as an individual who is outside his or her country of nationality or habitual residence who is unable or unwilling to return due to a well-founded fear of persecution based on his or her race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Applying this definition, internally displaced persons (IDPs) – including individuals fleeing natural disasters and generalized violence, stateless individuals not outside their country of habitual residence or not facing persecution, and individuals who have crossed an international border fleeing generalized violence are not considered refugees under either the 1951 Convention or the 1967 Optional Protocol."

There are US embassies in Mexico from which they could apply to enter legally.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This "Leftist" would very much simply like to see that United States fulfill its obligation to reunite separated families...
Why is it our obligation? The parents of those children either separated from their children willingly or by illegal acts caused the separation.

Ideally, we could reunite families.

But, the ideal does not create an obligation on the party that did not create the separation.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This is definitely not a Trump problem. But what has happened lately and their response to it certainly is.
As a Texan, I've been familiar with the immigration detention system and it's shortcomings since long before Trump (whom I did not vote for) was elected. We had many similar issues during Obama's helm, too. They just didn't make mainstream news. In fact, these issues have been occurring throughout many Administrations.

We have family facilities here in Texas by the way - we cannot build them fast enough - and when they become crowded, progressives begin haraunging the state to build more. Our Herculean efforts are simply not enough to staunch the flow. The last three years has placed an inordinate burden on our facilities here, and left the state desperate to provide sufficient care for these folks. Trump may be the world's biggest d-bag, but thousands of employees of the US Immigration system work very hard to care for these folks, and they deserve a little credit, instead of being lumped into half of the country's hatred for our POTUS.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
The same people who argue so passionately on behalf of illegals are nowhere to be found or far less vocal when it comes to threads about our government having zero dollars or concern to put into:
  • abhorrent veteran care
  • the homeless
  • mental illness
  • declining standards of education
  • the opioid crisis
  • healthcare costs that result in bankruptcy
  • assisting those on welfare become employable
  • 2,000 children disappearing a day - many of human trafficking
  • ETC.

Your so-called *compassion* is so out of whack it's disturbing.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, the real question is why did they enter our border illegally with their kids when they were forewarned not to do so or they'd be jailed and their kids can't go to jail with them so they would be separated from them. They chose to do so anyway so who's really to blame here?
YOU:

ME:

Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The same people who argue so passionately on behalf of illegals are nowhere to be found or far less vocal when it comes to threads about our government having zero dollars or concern to put into:
  • abhorrent veteran care
  • the homeless
  • mental illness
  • the opioid crisis
  • ETC.
I am concerned about those things as well. I have the capacity to be concerned about more than one thing at a time. What is this administration doing to address those issues?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
  • abhorrent veteran care
  • the homeless
  • mental illness
  • the opioid crisis
  • ETC.

The sooner we can create a nation of self-loathing Americans, the sooner we can lose our identity entirely, and became just another global rest stop on the super highway of lost civilizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies