Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
That sounds reasonable to me. I don't know why our politicians can't come up with something similar. It's ridiculous, really.
The answer is that the donor class makes a fortune off of the backs of illegal labor so Congressional Republicans won't implement a measure that will actually work. Instead, they use illegal immigration as a political issue and make proposals that will make them seem "tough" on illegal immigrants but won't actually address the problem. The "wall" is a great example of this - most illegals in the US (by a fairly wide margin) are people who overstayed their (legal) visas, but the wall is easy to visualize for those unwilling or unable to grasp the nuances of the US illegal immigration population.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
The alternative (in this case) is to not separate children.
Its not viable.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The answer is that the donor class makes a fortune off of the backs of illegal labor so Congressional Republicans won't implement a measure that will actually work. Instead, they use illegal immigration as a political issue and make proposals that will make them seem "tough" on illegal immigrants but won't actually address the problem. The "wall" is a great example of this - most illegals in the US (by a fairly wide margin) are people who overstayed their (legal) visas, but the wall is easy to visualize for those unwilling or unable to grasp the nuances of the US illegal immigration population.
You are wrong to place the blame on one party.

Come on.

1,081 posts, read 549,455 times
Quote:
The alternative (in this case) is to not separate children.
There are three types of children being detained:
1) Those that were smuggled here.
We should leave them with the smuggler?
2) Those that crossed on their own whose parents left them to wander the desert.
What parents would you like them not separated from?
3) Those who are with parents who just endangered their lives and committed a crime of trying to cross into a country illegally. If you commit a crime, your children would not be allowed to go to jail or prison with you. Do you have any idea how much leverage that gives another criminal over you?

There are LEGAL and SAFE ways to come to this country. Once they are in Mexico, they are no longer considered persecuted or in danger. That $9000 smuggler fee could buy them a room outside a US Embassy in Mexico to wait for their paperwork to clear.

As an FYI, the last two hysterical children brought to the forefront by the media were both kidnapped by one parent and taken across multiple international boundaries against the will of the other parent. Try to imagine the plight of the other parent whose spouse and children disappear one day. You are seeing the crying children but you are ignoring the criminal acts of the parent.

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Its not viable.
because......

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
But Conservative and Democrats alike are glued to their screens (me included) watching a team of teenaged soccer players rescued from a flooded cave in another part of the world. Funny that.
I'm sure many of them would lose interest if they knew following that story obligated them to support open borders. You better keep that little secret to yourself.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
because......
See CtrlEsc's post (#84) above yours.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That's wonderful.

You have loads of concern. Enough to go around for multiple problems.

Concern doesn't solve the problem. Resources do. Resources, however, are finite.

The best definition of politics (IMO) is who gets what when where and how.

I'd prefer that the US apply whatever resources we have to spare to our own people.
If resources are finite, why allocate hundreds of millions of dollars to building and maintaining a wall that is unlikely to materially affect the total number of illegal immigrants in the US when those immigrants can be disincentivized from resorting to illegal immigration by both making it easier to enter the country legally and making it more difficult to get employment if they fail to do so for near nothing? If resources are finite, why spend extra money to house children separately from their parents when a less expensive (and more humane) alternative is available?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 AM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm not a "lefty" but this makes the most sense to me:

Implement E-Verify with stiff penalties on employers for violations.
Make it easier for immigrants to come to the US legally.
Provide a straightforward way for the immigrants already here to become resident aliens and have them pay back taxes.
Don't separate children from their parents while they are waiting for deportation/asylum hearings.
1. E-Verify? This would be a very good thing.

2. Easier? Sure, but it should be flexible. It should be easier when we need more immigrants, but more difficult when we dont.

3. Sounds a lot like amnesty to me. This says to me, and more importantly, to the rest of the 3rd world, “If you come illegally, and you persevere, you will eventually be rewarded.”

It should be extremely difficult for anyone who came illegally to ever become a citizen. That should be the punishment and deterrent.

4. As long as we dont release them into the US, I dont care what we do with them. If they can provide family facilities, that is great.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You are wrong to place the blame on one party.

Come on.
Bush II and Senate Democrats made an attempt to implement a proposal similar to mine in 2007 and the Republicans torpedoed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies