Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Bush II and Senate Democrats made an attempt to implement a proposal similar to mine in 2007 and the Republicans torpedoed it.
Its 2018, now.

Quote:
If resources are finite...
I am quite sure that resources are in fact finite.

Quote:
...why allocate hundreds of millions of dollars to building and maintaining a wall that is unlikely to materially affect the total number of illegal immigrants in the US...
The cost of the wall will be far less than the cost of dealing with illegal aliens over the years. I disagree with your opinion re the probable effectiveness of the wall.

Quote:
when those immigrants can be disincentivized from resorting to illegal immigration by both making it easier to enter the country legally and making it more difficult to get employment...
I agree with making it difficult to gain employment. I think we should also make legal immigration more difficult.

Quote:
If resources are finite, why spend extra money to house children separately from their parents when a less expensive (and more humane) alternative is available?
Resources are in fact finite.

The least expensive and intrusive means would be to keep them out, together.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Its 2018, now.
In 2018 the Republicans control the House, the Senate, and the Executive and have been unable to advance sensible proposals for immigration reform while preventing the Democrats from doing so. Making DACA recipients permanent legal residents is a great example of something that should be a no-brainer, yet what position have they taken on that in 2018? Democrats have their own issues, but the immigration reform failure can be laid at the feet of Republicans who want to appear tough on illegal immigration without actually being tough on illegal immigration.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
we have to figure out a way to keep these people out in the first place
Build a wall.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
I advocate a "Mirror Law". An illegal immigrant will be afforded the same protections and punishments as those currently in effect in his or her country of origin.
A Mexican will be granted the same rights, privileges, and punishments as prescribed by Mexico.
A Honduran by the present laws of Honduras.
Etc.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Its 2018, now.

I am quite sure that resources are in fact finite.

The cost of the wall will be far less than the cost of dealing with illegal aliens over the years. I disagree with your opinion re the probable effectiveness of the wall.

I agree with making it difficult to gain employment. I think we should also make legal immigration more difficult.

Resources are in fact finite.

The least expensive and intrusive means would be to keep them out, together.
Where there's the rub. You want to reduce legal immigration as well when virtually every economist on Earth thinks we should do the opposite. Increased immigration expands the economy, the tax base, and the labor market. We have a labor shortage, a greying populace, and declining birthrates. Look at Japan's fiscal situation. That's where we are headed with folly like this.

I would like to reduce illegal immigration. There is a cheap, humane and effective way of deterring illegal immigration. Additionally, immigrants can be incentivized to emigrate legally if measures are taking to ensure that the process is not unnecessarily onerous. That is not the proposal being floated. Walls don't work to prevent the free movement of people. They never have and never will. Ask the Mongols.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I advocate a "Mirror Law". An illegal immigrant will be afforded the same protections and punishments as those currently in effect in his or her country of origin.
A Mexican will be granted the same rights, privileges, and punishments as prescribed by Mexico.
Etc.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Etc.
So you want to scrap the Constitution and create several subclasses of people in the US and apply different laws to each of them? What an expensive, pointless, unworkable, and stupid idea.

If I come from outer a remote region in Nepal that does not proscribe against the sales of narcotics or the rape of women, I'm free to do that in the US?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There is a legal way to enter the country. This is the parents fault.

This thread wants to blame Trump for a one year old doing what a one year old does when its parents aren't around.
So 1 year olds routinely represent themselves in court when their parents aren't around?

Do tell.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's not the baby crying that disturbs me. It's that our court system is so fundamentally unprepared to deal with the children separated from their parent(s). We have people being deported without their dependent children and few options for getting them back. It's difficult for me to see that as anything other than the U.S. engaging in child abduction.
Yes, the administration argued in court that they shouldn't have to (try to) reunite kids with parents that have already been deported.

Just sell them to the highest (adoption) bidder is their plan, I guess.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
So you want to scrap the Constitution and create several subclasses of people in the US and apply different laws to each of them? What an expensive, pointless, unworkable, and stupid idea.

We don't have to scrap the constitution. That's the way this country was for a very long time after the constitution was written. There are some groups of people who believe that is how the country still is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies