Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And nobody who ever go laid off or fired ever said "man am I glad I was less productive and valuable than my colleagues."

I have a family to take care of. I have a life that requires a certain amount of funding. Nobody is waiting in line to hand me free bags of money. Given these parameters, and knowing that businesses only employee and retain those who provide a value add, I know for a fact I will outwork, out hustle and out "value" my colleagues. I will not be the name of the list of people to cut.

So if I have colleagues who want to be all righteous about unpaid overtime, good for them. I will always be the guy that says "no problem, none whatsoever" when my boss asks if I am cool with pitching in more than 40 hours in a week. When my colleagues say "that's not my job," I'll always be the guy who says "I'll give that a try, no sweat" even if the task comes nowhere near my job description. Every job I've ever had, I did more than my colleagues were willing to. My boss just made a joke the other day about me being the one person you can always count on to be in the office. That's how my employers see me - the guy they know they can count on same as the sun rising in the east.

All I'm saying is while everyone is arguing rule changes from the bench, I'll be on the field reminding the employer why they have me on the field and the whiners on the bench. That's what the whiners and sad sacks don't get. The company/"Man"/government isn't your competition, I am. The rules of the game are simple, the successful people simply play harder, longer and with more dedication. If you produce more value than your colleagues, you'll succeed. It's not real complicated.

Enjoy your time off. I enjoy mine. But if having 5 minutes less time off than you means I get paid more and have less risk of being the guy who gets cut in the next downsize, it was 5 minutes well spent, imho.
You can pat yourself in the back all day long, but no one says you can't be the best emplyee while getting paid for the extra hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 01:37 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can pat yourself in the back all day long, but no one says you can't be the best emplyee while getting paid for the extra hours.
Yep, but while everyone else is out protesting, complaining and demanding the government bully employers, I'll be at work, doing my thing.

Have fun trying to get someone else beat up though.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Yep, but while everyone else is out protesting, complaining and demanding the government bully employers, I'll be at work, doing my thing. Have fun trying to get someone else beat up though.
Why deflect? Why can't you be the best employee while getting paid for the extra hours? It sounds like you think it is a good to not get paid for them. I was a "key employee" too and survived countless rounds of lay-offs. I used to work 60 hour weeks (often more) and not get paid for OT. Next to me were contractors with dollar signs in their eyes, because they were raking it in from all the OT. I became a contractor myself and saw a huge increase in income. I felt sorry for the full timers because they were still putting in all the extra hours for free.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why deflect? Why can't you be the best employee while getting paid for the extra hours? It sounds like you think it is a good to not get paid for them. I was a "key employee" too and survived countless rounds of lay-offs. I used to work 60 hour weeks (often more) and not get paid for OT. Next to me were contractors with dollar signs in their eyes, because they were raking it in from all the OT. I became a contractor myself and saw a huge increase in income. I felt sorry for the full timers because they were still putting in all the extra hours for free.
I get paid for extra hours. It comes in comp time, better than average raises compared to my peers, never being on any cut lists, a lot of leeway from my boss on my coming and going, etc.

And yes, I would make more as a contractor, but I am too old for that hustle at this point, and I like the FTE security. Also, I was in the fast boat submarine force, and civilians in the corporate world don't know anything close to what I consider serious overtime.

But again, if demanding government go beat people up makes you feel like you're helping, go for it.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
I get paid for extra hours. It comes in comp time, better than average raises compared to my peers, never being on any cut lists, a lot of leeway from my boss on my coming and going, etc.

And yes, I would make more as a contractor, but I am too old for that hustle at this point, and I like the FTE security. Also, I was in the fast boat submarine force, and civilians in the corporate world don't know anything close to what I consider serious overtime.

But again, if demanding government go beat people up makes you feel like you're helping, go for it.
You acted like you were the champion of unpaid OT.
No one is demanding that we go beat up employers. What I'm calling for is trickle down economics in action. The best part about this is that the very people who are putting in the effort are getting the benefit.

The only thing that is necessary is for Congress to increase the yearly cap in a law that already exists. Overtime initially was denied to those who were bonafide corporate executives. Slowly inflation allowed abuse of the law to the point where people making thirty thousand a year could be considered salaried. The law needs to be updated. That's all. According to Obama's economists this would effect 4 million people. Think of how much revenue that could bring in.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:27 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
The Republican party has been droning on about the benefits of trickle down economics since the eighties. Corporate earnings are up. Corporate taxes are down. The number of people who need full time jobs but work part time, is up. Remember Paul Volcker? He was Reagan's Chairman of the Federal Reserve. He said that if you cut corporate taxes everyone benefits, the big guy and the little guy. In the 38 years since Reagan was elected the little guy hasn't been doing so well.

A law was created in 1938 called the Fair Labor Standards Act. Among other things like the minimum wage it regulated who was eligible for overtime pay and who was not. Back in 1938 a new house cost $3900 and average wages per year were $1730. So to be exempt from overtime back in 1938, one would need to be highly compensated. Current Department of Labor guidelines still enable a corporation to classify you as exempt at $456 a week under certain conditions. Corporations take full advantage of these certain conditions.

When Republicans passed the 14% tax cut for corporations back in January they still spoke of the trickle down effect. I believe that giving employees the right to overtime pay up to a thousand dollars a week would be trickle down at it's best.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Keep your options open. You aren’t married to this place. I would leave when I could and forget worrying about notice. How much notice are they going to give you if you get fired? Make too many waves and they’ll find a way to get rid of you I’m sure.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I just remembered one company I worked for that used people like Volo... to force other people to do more for less. We had to install the equipment that we also maintained. The company used guidelines for the amount of time it would take for an installation. It was based on the fastest workers and when nothing went wrong. The company demanded that no one gets OT for installations, but it still had to be done on time. Some idiots in some areas of the company obviously worked overtime without pay to get the job done. By doing this they even violated the labor laws in some cases. They also made it bad for other employees who would not bow down to the demands.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 07-11-2018 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
If Congress changed it to $150k per year, I'd still work free overtime, at least one more hour of it than anyone I compete with, because when layoffs eventually come around, my boss will remember who pitched in without griping and who didn't.

Welcome to the rat race. I will run faster than other rats near me and I will finish first. While the slower rats are all trying to make their slowness profitable, I'll be busy winning the race.

Just an FYI to people who think government legislation can save them from the forces of the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
No one ever said that "they should have put in more time at the office" on their death bed.
Or even earlier, like when you are close to retirement and you take stock of all the efforts you put into your job, at the same time you realize your family deserved more of your time, if they are still around, that is.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Or even earlier, like when you are close to retirement and you take stock of all the efforts you put into your job, at the same time you realize your family deserved more of your time, if they are still around, that is.

The benefits of self-employment.

Control of your schedule.
Flexibility to spend time with family.
Earning potential is limitless.
The more effort you put in, the more business and income you earn.
You set your own destiny.
You set your own worth.
You decide how to build value in your community.

Lifetime employees, can only complain their lives are in a rut. They never do anything about it. Working for another to find a different job, has an employee right back in the pity of their own choices in life.

Learn more, earn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies