Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,993,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
We keep military bases around the world to make sure the fight stays on foreign soil. Every incursion into the Middle East has been under the banner of “fight them over there instead of over here”. If you think we have bases all over the world to protect the nations they’re in, you’re naive in the extreme. Overseas bases are ALL about the projection of the US military around the world.
This is true. But too be honest, one of Osama Bin Laden's biggest reasons for his attack on 9/11 was U.S. troops on the horn of Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Almost every bullet, every drone, every plane, and every soldier has gone in to Iraq and Afghanistan through Ramstein. Image if we had to pack that up and go home.
Get real.

It has been far more than Ramstein.

Closing our bases overseas would then just channel our military into ICBM's and bombers (do we want to go there?), the entire Navy, and focused rapid deployment forces.

Our foreign allies certianly benefit greatly from U.S. bases in their lands. They can certianly help pay the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You heard WHAT argument, may I ask?

Look, NATO guidelines encourage all members to spend 2 percent of their respective country’s GDP on their own military defense, so that each member can defend itself to a certain degree without relying too often on pooled NATO forces and equipment. In 2014, NATO leaders came to an agreement that members who spend under that 2 percent benchmark are to work towards reaching that goal within a decade.

So, it is NOT America who came up with this rule, agreement is agreement, period. It is not about taking sides either.

So if you guys want our troops to go home, you need to talk to ALL members of the NATOS. Come up with a new agreement and follow the rule.

Simple as that.
You're going to presume to lecture the world about "agreements" when your chosen orangeness has broken any number of them since taking office?

That takes a really special kind of arrogance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...74927817301028

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...t-live-updates

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/unpac...c-partnership/

Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
You heard WHAT argument, may I ask?

Look, NATO guidelines encourage all members to spend 2 percent of their respective country’s GDP on their own military defense, so that each member can defend itself to a certain degree without relying too often on pooled NATO forces and equipment. In 2014, NATO leaders came to an agreement that members who spend under that 2 percent benchmark are to work towards reaching that goal within a decade.

So, it is NOT America who came up with this rule, agreement is agreement, period. It is not about taking sides either.

So if you guys want our troops to go home, you need to talk to ALL members of the NATOS. Come up with a new agreement and follow the rule.

Simple as that.
It's a guideline or encouragement as you point out in your post.

It is not a stipulation and is in relation to 2024.

Trump is the one moaning about how much you pay when in fact only a tiny persentage of your defence budget is spent on Europe and only 5% of Active US Service Personnel are based in Europe.

I am indifferent about it, but if you want to go, then close ALL your bases, most of which are in relation to intelligence, lofistics, medical support, naval support etc in relation to the wider region and areas such as the Middle East and North Africa, the Med., the Atlantic routes to the US, the Arctic and of course Russia and even parts of Asia.

A lot of the bases in the UK are intelligence bases, run by the NSA/NRA and other shadowy US Agencies.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The bases don't belong to the US, and you can't pay rent on something you own.

Don't like it, then leave.

There is a reason that they are referred to as US Visiting Forces.
Please, let's get real here, shall we?

no matter how messed up anyone considers the US right now, the other countries really don’t mind the strongest military in the world having a base in their country. Leaving Duerto aside and the occasional populist opposition to having bases in their country, in reality most countries are fundamentally ok with having bases there. It keeps them from having to spend on their own military and deters someone from invading it.

The bases in Germany are leftover from post WWII. If Germany really, truly wanted them out they’d have been out a long time ago.

American people don't want bases in Germany, Regular Germans don't want us there. I agree

But German government might have a different opinion. Talk to your own government if you want to kick us out. Until then, shut up or pay up.

It is that simple.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're going to presume to lecture the world about "agreements" when your chosen orangeness has broken any number of them since taking office?

That takes a really special kind of arrogance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...74927817301028

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...t-live-updates

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/unpac...c-partnership/
Stay on topic.

You can lecture me about the rules he broke, but this is about military protection and agreement.

If you cannot stay on topic, I will just ignore your post. Insult really does not work for me, try another good way for a productive debate.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Please, let's get real here, shall we?

no matter how messed up anyone considers the US right now, the other countries really don’t mind the strongest military in the world having a base in their country. Leaving Duerto aside and the occasional populist opposition to having bases in their country, in reality most countries are fundamentally ok with having bases there. It keeps them from having to spend on their own military and deters someone from invading it.

The bases in Germany are leftover from post WWII. If Germany really, truly wanted them out they’d have been out a long time ago.

American people don't want bases in Germany, Regular Germans don't want us there. I agree

But German government might have a different opinion. Talk to your own government if you want to kick us out. Until then, shut up or pay up.

It is that simple.
Some US Bases in UK.

The NSA's British Base at the Heart of U.S. Targeted Killing - The Intercept

NSA's Quiet Presence at a Base in England's Countryside Revealed in Snowden Documents - The Intercept

Whistleblower claims Pentagon issued 'misleading' information about UK intelligence hub - inews

Exclusive: RAF Croughton base 'sent secrets from Merkel's phone 'straight to the CIA' - The Independent

Pentagon to open major £200m intelligence centre in Britain | The Independent

GCHQ taps fibre-optic cables for secret access to world's communications - Guardian

Exclusive: NSA pays £100m in secret funding for GCHQ | Guardian

RAF Fairford:Written question - 112003 - UK Parliament

America's Most Important Spy Plane That Isn't an SR-71 Blackbird

RAF Fylingdales - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-14-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
well, Please do not give me the hand, it is not necessary.

I don't see the above has anything to do with the point I was making.

I was talking about Germany, not UK in case you missed

Plus, I don't know what I posted you disagree with, so there is really nothing else for me to say.

All these said, I don't disagree with you 100%, but I sincerely wish that you could take some time considering the point I was making.

I genuinely enjoyed our exchange. I know this is a sensitive topic for a lot of countries. So I understand the emotion side of it. lol

Have a nice day.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM

1,705 posts, read 539,094 times
So.. How much of US military spending is spent on NATO?
Please answer us this lilyflower, since you are the most fanatical one about this.

The US Military is Global.. how much of the 3.2% is spent on NATO, IN EUROPE?

NATO has agreed to ramp up its spending from 2014 to 2024, and set a 2% goal.. Is the US spending 2% of its GDP defending NATO in Europe?

NATO spent 3-5% of GDP during the Cold War.. then spending dropped when Soviet Union collapsed.. even the US military spending. Then 9/11 happened, ALL NATO countries stepped up and helped the US in Afghanistan. The US is the ONLY country that has ever enacted article 5... the US ramped up its military spending to fight goat herders in Afghanistan and Iraq. Wasting 8-10 TRILLION Dollars blowing up hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians during the last 15 years.

Who benefits from the US leaving NATO : Putin
Who benefits from the US leaving bases in Europe : Putin
Who benefits from the US criticizing its allies in Europe : Putin
Who benefits from the US imposing tariffs on its allies in Europe : Putin
Who benefits from a divide from the 70+ years of agreements the US and Europe has negotiated : Putin
Who benefits from Trump gutting the FBI, the DOJ, the NSA, the CIA : Putin

and you are like, YES, finally somebody stands up to our "allies".. those scum, taking advantage of us. Somehow..

Sad bunch!

Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
So.. How much of US military spending is spent on NATO?
Please answer us this lilyflower, since you are the most fanatical one about this.

The US Military is Global.. how much of the 3.2% is spent on NATO, IN EUROPE?

NATO has agreed to ramp up its spending from 2014 to 2024, and set a 2% goal.. Is the US spending 2% of its GDP defending NATO in Europe?

NATO spent 3-5% of GDP during the Cold War.. then spending dropped when Soviet Union collapsed.. even the US military spending. Then 9/11 happened, ALL NATO countries stepped up and helped the US in Afghanistan. The US is the ONLY country that has ever enacted article 5... the US ramped up its military spending to fight goat herders in Afghanistan and Iraq. Wasting 8-10 TRILLION Dollars blowing up hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians during the last 15 years.

Who benefits from the US leaving NATO : Putin
Who benefits from the US leaving bases in Europe : Putin
Who benefits from the US criticizing its allies in Europe : Putin
Who benefits from the US imposing tariffs on its allies in Europe : Putin
Who benefits from a divide from the 70+ years of agreements the US and Europe has negotiated : Putin
Who benefits from Trump gutting the FBI, the DOJ, the NSA, the CIA : Putin

and you are like, YES, finally somebody stands up to our "allies".. those scum, taking advantage of us. Somehow..

Sad bunch!
I have to think about how to answer your question.

But I don't believe your question has anything to do with the point I was making.

LOL

so have a nice day to you too.

I am? didn't think so. But whatever.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:54 PM

1,705 posts, read 539,094 times
Allright.. answer this: The US Military is Global.. how much of the 3.2% is spent on NATO, IN EUROPE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies