Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with raising your kids to be a boy or girl depending on their bodies, who can wear or do whatever pleases them? Then when they're older, if they end up with any gender issues, they can keep on wearing/doing whatever they want and deal with the private bits as they see fit? That won't be an issue in the vast majority of cases, so I don't see the point in making everyone focus on the outlier issue.

I was born in the late 60s, graduated high school in 1985. I was a tomboy (as it was called in the day). Like even as a very small child I liked all things stereotyped as boy things. I was also interested in some more girly things, like my mom taught me to sew and cook. But a big chunk of my life was a struggle to be allowed to do and be who I wanted to be. I was constantly told by adults and other children that I wanted to be a boy, I was called lesbian (yes, even as a child), I was called weird and wrong.

I shudder to think what would happen to me if I'd been born now. I was never confused about my gender, and I am pretty hard on the heterosexual end of the scale. I can only imagine the well-meaning adults who might try to convince me otherwise. I never wanted to be a boy, I just wanted the privilege and freedom I saw them having to do the things that I liked.

I'm glad that society is becoming more aware of how limiting gender roles can be to individuals. Let's not go crazy, though, eh? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 04:58 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
No one is saying that.

No one is suggesting that.

The idea is to let them be who they are and not pressure them to be something they feel uncomfortable with. All of the stuff in your post is just your fantasy.

I recommend reading Becoming Nicole by Amy Ellis Nutt.
If no one is suggesting that, why is it a GENDER movement?

How about: Let the kids play with what they want.

See? No mention of boy/girl. Easy peasy.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
How are you supposed to explain this to the school or Doctor? My child doesn't have a gender or we are waiting for them to decide. I really dislike this non gender movement.
Doctors might want to know a child's sex, but they are not interested in "gender".

Old 07-25-2018, 05:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Doctors might want to know a child's sex, but they are not interested in "gender".
And that went over 95% of people's heads. I've pretty much given up on explaining the difference.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
What's wrong with raising your kids to be a boy or girl depending on their bodies, who can wear or do whatever pleases them? Then when they're older, if they end up with any gender issues, they can keep on wearing/doing whatever they want and deal with the private bits as they see fit? That won't be an issue in the vast majority of cases, so I don't see the point in making everyone focus on the outlier issue.

I was born in the late 60s, graduated high school in 1985. I was a tomboy (as it was called in the day). Like even as a very small child I liked all things stereotyped as boy things. I was also interested in some more girly things, like my mom taught me to sew and cook. But a big chunk of my life was a struggle to be allowed to do and be who I wanted to be. I was constantly told by adults and other children that I wanted to be a boy, I was called lesbian (yes, even as a child), I was called weird and wrong.

I shudder to think what would happen to me if I'd been born now. I was never confused about my gender, and I am pretty hard on the heterosexual end of the scale. I can only imagine the well-meaning adults who might try to convince me otherwise. I never wanted to be a boy, I just wanted the privilege and freedom I saw them having to do the things that I liked.

I'm glad that society is becoming more aware of how limiting gender roles can be to individuals. Let's not go crazy, though, eh? lol
Ditto!!! Except I graduated high school in 1976.

I was also and... still am a tomboy. But definitely a heterosexual tomboy. My best friends were guys, I hated makeup and high heels. I lived in t-shirts, blue jeans and comfortable sneakers. I love driving stick shift. If I was a child today, some might wonder if I was a transgender. However, I was a happy girl, just not a girly girl.

We ought to let children just be what their bodies say they are and not complicate matters. And BTW just because a teen girl has a string of bad boyfriends, doesn't mean that she should give up and only date girls. And vice versa.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Indeed. Leave that to the grammarians.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:54 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
There is no difference. Reality is reality. If you have a penis and you think you are a girl, that is REALITY dysphoria. Sex and gender are one. You cannot change your sex, or your gender. You can pretend you are a woman if your sex is male, but it is an existential lie. You can mutiliate your body with chemical invasion and grotesque surgeries, but nothing changes. You are what you were born. This needs to be treated as what it is: a psychiatric condition. A disassociative disorder. Bruce Jenner was born a man, Bruce Jenner is now a man, and the casket Bruce Jenner is buried in will contain the body of a man.

Therefore, permitting and encouraging existential confusion in small children by failing to guide them properly into accepting the REALITY of their sex and gender is a form of child abuse. Outside of direct molestation, I can’t think of too many things you can do to a kid that are more evil.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I was also and... still am a tomboy. But definitely a heterosexual tomboy. My best friends were guys, I hated makeup and high heels. I lived in t-shirts, blue jeans and comfortable sneakers. I love driving stick shift. If I was a child today, some might wonder if I was a transgender. However, I was a happy girl, just not a girly girl.

We ought to let children just be what their bodies say they are and not complicate matters. And BTW just because a teen girl has a string of bad boyfriends, doesn't mean that she should give up and only date girls. And vice versa.
Maybe, if only to say "Well I'm not like that"... That said girls wearing jeans and even t-shirts is surprisingly normal today. Today I think interests make the tomboy, not the clothing choices.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

This is correct. Especially since the suicide rate for transgenders is in excess of 33%, both for those who have the surgery, and those that do not.

It is a tragic psychiatric condition, a dissociative disorder, a break from cognitive and psychological connection with reality, requiring compassionate medical treatment. Pushing a child toward this possibility is utterly ghastly.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And that went over 95% of people's heads. I've pretty much given up on explaining the difference.
Quote:
They are the same. if they were not the same, then why is it when someone "feels" they are a woman, then they go get the surgery to make them appear female? And dress as such also?

Same with when a woman "feels" they are a man, they go and make all efforts to look the stereotype, including surgery.

Female and woman are one in the same, same with male and man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies