Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Public opinion is there. This is something people really want, especially those on he left side of the political spectrum. 61% of Americans favor recreational legalization and over 90% favor at least medical. The only demographic in America still overwhelmingly opposed to legalizing marijuana is white evangelicals.

However, establishment Democrats have been slow to board the legal marijuana train or have been at best passively supportive on the subject eg. Obama. Republicans on the other hand will continue to fight legalization tooth and nail because of the religious right as well as big money from special interests like Big Pharma and private prisons. I think the time is right that if the Democrats were to fully embrace legalization and push for it, it would be politically beneficial to them. What do you think?

I disagree...to the bolded

this conservative has always been for hemp...

there are 1001 uses for hemp (cannabis ) not counting getting high

democrats are the ones who made hemp illegal in 1937

everyone should be for the freedom of hemp, yet its the liberals that want to REGULATE it..as always liberals are anti-freedom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Of course they should and then pass it out free to gain more sheeple voters. Yep, get 'em stoned and stupid and put a lever in their hands...

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Would it be a good idea for Democrats to officially embrace marijuana legalization?

You mean you actually found a Democrat who didn't already embrace it?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If it was considered a high priority issue, they definitely would use it during their 2018 campaign, but it not happening.
That is because you are leaving dirty, corrupt money from lobbyists out of the picture, just like a previous poster does.

There is a HUGE distinction to be made between the gigantic tax revenues a cash cow product like opioids and marijuana can generate, and dirty, corrupt, under the table money that buys politicians.

Who in their right mind would think a politician would actually say:

"If we legalize pot it will generate a lot of tax revenues for the city/county/state/federal government, so I think I will vote for legalization instead of continuing to take the hundreds of thousands I get every year from the lobbyists, under the table and tax-free."

NOT!

Last edited by Raddo; 07-24-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Of course they should and then pass it out free to gain more sheeple voters. Yep, get 'em stoned and stupid and put a lever in their hands...
What an ignorant post.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
If it was considered a high priority issue, they definitely would use it during their 2018 campaign, but it not happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That is because you are leaving dirty, corrupt money from lobbyists out of the picture, just like a previous poster does.

There is a HUGE distinction to be made between the gigantic tax revenues a cash cow product like opioids and marijuana can generate, and dirty, corrupt, under the table money that buys politicians.

Who in their right mind would think a politician would actually say:

"If we legalize pot it will generate a lot of tax revenues for the city/county/state/federal government, so I think I will vote for legalization instead of continuing to take to hundreds of thousands I get every year from the lobbyists, under the table and tax-free."

NOT!
Like I said, they would legalize it if it were a high priority issue. Why? To get re-elected. They get nothing under the table (unproven claim) if they get replaced by a candidate who supports legalization.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said, they would legalize it if it were a high priority issue. Why? To get re-elected. They get nothing under the table (unproven claim) if they get replaced by a candidate who supports legalization.
That is exactly right.

The voters in Oklahoma have sent a clear message that it is indeed getting pushed up higher and higher in their voting priorities. I've said it before. The power of the vote is the only power in the universe strong enough to overcome the enormous sums of money involved, and it will eventually force the politicians to POP (Pivot on Pot).

It is only a matter of time at this point. The propaganda of the last 81 years is finally losing steam.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:05 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Would it be a good idea for Democrats to officially embrace marijuana legalization?
Yes. Beating another dead horse is always a good idea. Be sure to tout how the war on drugs has been such a failure, and promote the idea that all drugs should be legalized.
That, and the elimination of ICE will insure the Democrats get their appropriate reward this November, and for many Novembers to come.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yes. Beating another dead horse is always a good idea. Be sure to tout how the war on drugs has been such a failure, and promote the idea that all drugs should be legalized.
That, and the elimination of ICE will insure the Democrats get their appropriate reward this November, and for many Novembers to come.
Dead horse? Are you saying the legalization issue is dead, and that federal legalization is not coming after all?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Dead horse? Are you saying the legalization issue is dead, and that federal legalization is not coming after all?
Be informed:
Quote:
Under this proposal, cannabis would remain a Schedule I dangerous drug -- only states would be given the freedom to engage in the legal cannabis trade without the risk of raids and prosecutions.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeada.../#1c5950604047
Republican know full well that these polls are among "Americans". But since only about 40% of "Americans" vote there needs to be a lot more said.
20% of "Americans" - 63 million votes - will stop any legislation dead in its tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies