Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:04 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well when was the last time Trump was shopping for groceries? Was it 20, 30 years ago?
Trump has people to do those things for him. I'd venture to guess he's never had to place his fat, privileged foot inside a grocery store in his entire fat, privileged life.

He has absolutely no clue what life is like in the real world. He probably does believe you can't buy a quart of milk without a photo ID. He's that stupid.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:05 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I would not know, but since they do sell beer/wine along with over-the-counter medications that contain controlled substances, I would assume that they do. If you attempt to pay with a credit card or check, I am sure they would ask for ID.
While you may be asked for an I.D. if you pay with a check, buy beer/wine, or medications that contain controlled substances, the topic is buying groceries.

Trump's comment was not on how one pays for groceries.

Nor was it about buying beer/wine, or medications that contain controlled substances, or even lighters, or violent horror video games.

He said you need an I.D. to buy groceries.

This is not true.

No matter what spin you try to defend this, it is still not true.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
No, you don't.

I get my groceries delivered about 30-50% of the time nowadays (I've got 3 preschool aged children and trying to do a big shop devolves quickly!) and I have never been asked.

I've even done grocery pickup with the Walmart service where they come out to your car, and their policy is to only ID if you're making an alcohol purchase.

With that said, when my husband was in the military, yes, we needed IDs for the commissary.

99% of the time at other local grocery stores though, no ID unless I'm purchasing alcohol, which is almost never nowadays.

He's not ahead of his time... he's probably never set foot in a grocery store to actually buy groceries.
Yep. We have groceries delivered all the time. Also do pickup at the local Harris Teeter occasionally. Never once been asked for an I.D.

At the commissary, military I.D.s are required to prove that you are authorized to shop at a military store.

However, since Trump never served in the military, dreadful bone spurs you know, he would not have had this experience. As Commander-in-Chief I suspect he could shop at a military commissary. However, I cannot imagine him being asked for an I.D.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Fake I.D.s are available at a reasonable cost. Even high school students can easily get one.

Next time you vote, take a good look at the election officials and ask yourself how many of them could even spot a fake I.D.
True, but every time I have voted my name is on a log sheet and the election official at least looked it up. Someone in high school under 18 is not going to be on that list. Someone trying to steal my vote and using my name will set off alarms when I try to vote and they say I already have. I have heard of at least one case where someone tried to vote in two different counties, in different states when they had moved. They were caught.

Certainly, a 'fake vote' due to ID fraud could make it through the system, but there are checks and balances that come into play that help minimize it. Voter ID could certainly be part of those checks and balances.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Trump doesn’t go grocery shopping and if he did, I don’t think he would need to show his ID.

...and he doesn’t fill up his car at the gas station either so he probably doesn’t know the price of gas (as was asked of a political candidate at a debate a few decades ago).

Any intelligent person would realize he was just using it as a random example of a time when ID would be required for a mundane purpose, yet libs don’t believe that it should be required for the sacred act of voting.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
LOL at the people trying to defend his statements!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I can’t believe the level of pettiness being demonstrated narrated here. Jesus Christ.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So you need an I.D. to buy your "survival horror shooter" video games, and you were asked for an ID at Kmart to buy lighters. (Cigarettes or tiki torches?)

Since groceries, rather than beer, lighters, and video games, is the topic of the thread, how about when you buy groceries?

“You know, if you go out and you want to buy groceries, you need a picture on a card, you need ID." Donald Trump.

Are you asked for your I.D. when you buy pizza pockets and Little Debbies?

This thread reminded me of two things:

1. The media kerfuffle in 1992 re George H W Bush and the grocery store scanners, which Snopes judged to be false:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/maybe-im-amazed/

2. In the early 1980s (when I was in my 20s) I volunteered to canvass for a political action committee. We took a lunch break one day, agreeing to resume I think in about 90 minutes. I needed to go to a Ralph's (IIRC) to cash a check (Ralph's is owned by Kroger). A younger female fellow volunteer wanted to come with me. She said it was because she wanted to see what the inside of a regular grocery store looked like . She'd spent almost her entire life living in Harbor Ridge in Newport Beach, and the only market she'd ever been to was Gelson's (a small gourmet market chain).

Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I can’t believe the level of pettiness being demonstrated narrated here. Jesus Christ.
I believe the word you meant to use was ignorance. And yes, I agree, but he's the president, so what can we do?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I believe the word you meant to use was ignorance. And yes, I agree, but he's the president, so what can we do?
Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies