Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:17 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
To answer the OP....in this day and age? Nope. And I don't care who doesn't like to hear it.

It's not the driving factor imo, although there are certain incidents that can't be denied...and I say this as someone who is black. It is what it is...But just based on observation...i'd say that there are two particular reasons for why many poorer blacks collectively and habitually fall behind...imo and it's primarily because of:

1) The OOW rate-which basically removes us from two committed parent household incomes, which ultimately restricts where we live, where our children go to school, their extracurricular activities, their choices in colleges, and eventually who is in their network for jobs, marriage prospects etc etc. It also increases the likelyhood of everything negative...from crime to low test scores to teenage pregnancies. It just has a ridiculous domino effect.

2) The over indulgence in depreciating assets (i.e the disproportionate amount of income spent on fashion, and entertainment as opposed to investments and savings) aligned with VERY poor money management and prioritizing. Financial illiteracy is a HUGE problem in the BC imo....especially amongst the poorest.
I am so glad to hear you, as a black person, acknowledge that the high OOW rate is directly correlated to many problems among blacks, including those you mentioned. (The tie to poverty, which in turn is tied to higher crime rates, is indisputable. Single-parent households are poorer.)

Yet when I mentioned the same thing, several pages back, it was pointed out that people who quote statistics surrounding the high black OOW birthrate are "embracing white supremacist ideology." Far too often there is a quick backlash - a defense mechanism, obviously - to attack any white person who points out that there are trends within the black community that "keep blacks down" (to use the phrase of this thread's title) that they and only they are responsible for. It's so much easier to blame failure entirely on racism.

As far as the overindulgence in depreciating assets, I'm not sure what that's all about, but I do remember driving through a very poor black neighborhood when I was a child (well, Mom was driving) and seeing all these Cadillacs. Even at age 9 or 10, I saw the disconnect. My middle-class neighborhood, by comparison, had Fords and Chevys in the driveway. Something was just so "off" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 11:18 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I figured you did which is why I didn't take it personal lol.

I do consider myself to be "pro-black" in nature, but IMO hoteps are not pro-black. Pro-black for me means that I see all black people as capable of doing the things they set out to do and to help other black people achieve those goals. Being pro-black for me doesn't mean I am hateful towards anyone else either. Love is love and people are people - I just worry a lot about the psycho-social conditioning of black people because it is something that will affect my children and grandchildren. I honestly don't worry much about the stuff people on here worry about in regards to black people - I worry the most about us not loving each other and our history and our culture. We are wonderful people just as wonderful as everyone else.

Note, I don't support illegal immigration (mostly because of my children had their identity stolen by an illegeal immigrant - I am actually "for" our nation defining citizenship as being based on the citizenship of a child's parent(s) - basically the same as nearly every other country) I have no problem with inter-racial dating/relationships - in America IMO we are all mixed with something else anyway.

I don't take hoteps seriously because they are ignorant. They attempt to try to push "Afrikan culture" yet they fail to realize that the continent of Africa is made up of thousands of cultures. I always ask them which one do they think we should follow lol. I also truly don't like their homophobic rhetoric, racist rhetoric towards white people and other non-black people, racist rhetoric about black people ourselves, and their misogynistic attitudes toward women. They are the worse of the worse and unfortunately it seems that with the proliferation of YouTube in particular they have become more popular in black America - that worries me a lot because I do feel they push the ideology of white supremacy unknowingly in black America. So while all these posters around here try to tell us black people what to do when it comes to our families or jobs or educations - I'm trying to make sure the young people I know and people I work with don't fall for the okey-doke of these hoteps who actually are being successful in pushing a message of black inferiority and the idea that white people keep black people from XYZ when that is not the case IMO.
I don’t like them either because they constantly talk about problems.

They know every single problem but have no solutions.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
I figured you did which is why I didn't take it personal lol.

I do consider myself to be "pro-black" in nature, but IMO hoteps are not pro-black. Pro-black for me means that I see all black people as capable of doing the things they set out to do and to help other black people achieve those goals. Being pro-black for me doesn't mean I am hateful towards anyone else either. Love is love and people are people - I just worry a lot about the psycho-social conditioning of black people because it is something that will affect my children and grandchildren. I honestly don't worry much about the stuff people on here worry about in regards to black people - I worry the most about us not loving each other and our history and our culture. We are wonderful people just as wonderful as everyone else.

Note, I don't support illegal immigration (mostly because of my children had their identity stolen by an illegeal immigrant - I am actually "for" our nation defining citizenship as being based on the citizenship of a child's parent(s) - basically the same as nearly every other country) I have no problem with inter-racial dating/relationships - in America IMO we are all mixed with something else anyway.

I don't take hoteps seriously because they are ignorant. They attempt to try to push "Afrikan culture" yet they fail to realize that the continent of Africa is made up of thousands of cultures. I always ask them which one do they think we should follow lol. I also truly don't like their homophobic rhetoric, racist rhetoric towards white people and other non-black people, racist rhetoric about black people ourselves, and their misogynistic attitudes toward women. They are the worse of the worse and unfortunately it seems that with the proliferation of YouTube in particular they have become more popular in black America - that worries me a lot because I do feel they push the ideology of white supremacy unknowingly in black America. So while all these posters around here try to tell us black people what to do when it comes to our families or jobs or educations - I'm trying to make sure the young people I know and people I work with don't fall for the okey-doke of these hoteps who actually are being successful in pushing a message of black inferiority and the idea that white people keep black people from XYZ when that is not the case IMO.
As for youtube and other social media platforms. Blacks in general are far bigger users of social media than white people according to Pew but slightly. Black Twitter, black youtube and black Facebook are no joke to be messing around with.

http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/social-media/

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-03-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As for youtube and other social media platforms. Blacks in general are far bigger users of social media than white people according to Pew but slightly. Black Twitter, black youtube and black Facebook are no joke to be messing around with.

I agree, and I know this is something that many non-black Americans are unaware of - that black Americans are heavier users and "Influencers" of social media platforms on a percentage basis than other groups. IMO it is just that black media has gone from TV/radio to the internet basically. It is extra interesting that we also still have a large presence as a racial demographic in radio as our stations/shows are listened to more on average as well than other groups of people.

We debate a lot, we know a lot about our own issues, much moreso than non-black people do and we often work with each other on solutions to those issues - one of them that is a huge issue IMO that people need to discuss more and which I'm glad more people are doing - is the rise in popularity of people who follow or are interested in pursing some hotep sort of philosophy/lifestyle.

It is very concerning to me mostly because of the cultural ignorance and the claim that black Americans have no culture that come from these people. They often have no real knowledge of black American history and culture and are just repeating stuff they heard from some other hotep. They are easy to confront and put in their place in person and even online because they do not have a wealth of knowledge about black American history in particular. Their primary focus in on "white people" and for me that is not a focus that black Americans need to be honing in on - we need to pay attention to ourselves and our mindsets and also be more loving and welcoming of each other.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

The bold is why I say they remind me of the posters around here lol!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx

Quote:
The bold is why I say they remind me of the posters around here lol!
Relaxx, relax - he said you were a troll, but added that your posts were not to be taken lightly. That's a compliment. A troll whose posts are so profound they shouldn't be taken lightly! Wow, you're good!

Residinghere, don't you mean posters here think they have all the answers when they don't even understand the problems? Because that seems more like it to me.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:35 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I worked in manufacturing ,and as a caucasian male I was often the target of being set aside for other ethnic groups .
The work force( 5000) was a mixture of people from all over the globe, but where you saw the conflict were the mexicans referring their own in training over all other ethnic groups. philippine did the same thing as well as others .
Black people isolated them selves and so did every other ethnicity .
People will naturally go out of their way for those of their own, even if they don't like them personally. unless it is really something outrageous .
I am a naturally friendly person and tried to blend in, but in this environment i was still very alone.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
But when drug pushers target minority communities, it isn’t racism?
How are the drugs coming in and reaching their destinations so consistently though?

If you notice there is NEVER a lull in the illegal drug supply chain, always PLENTY in just about every city and state in the country!!! So much so, in some cities, they have epidemics...this doesnt just happen by coincidence...either the border patrol is ridiculously ineffective or there is some level of collusion.

Plus, we know for a fact the CIA used profits off cocaine to fund the training of the contras in the 70s and 80s, they made sure these drugs got in and reached their destination. I assume the same thing happens today, but looks like its the DEA controlling this today.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How are the drugs coming in and reaching their destinations so consistently though?

If you notice there is NEVER a lull in the illegal drug supply chain, always PLENTY in just about every city and state in the country!!! So much so, in some cities, they have epidemics...this doesnt just happen by coincidence...either the border patrol is ridiculously ineffective or there is some level of collusion.

Plus, we know for a fact the CIA used profits off cocaine to fund the training of the contras in the 70s and 80s, they made sure these drugs got in and reached their destination. I assume the same thing happens today, but looks like its the DEA controlling this today.
Congratulations for connecting the dots! It's our government bringing drugs and guns into black neighborhoods.

They have ways to track everyone in the world but can't track that activity, right?

Old 08-03-2018, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Minorities are being kept down? Who told you that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies