Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:47 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Drug laws impact a group by law enforcement and the populace associating said group with drug use and or distribution (stereotyping people of a specific group).

Black people don't sell or consume more drugs than whites in this country, yet majority black areas are consistently policed for these sorts of crimes. If they focused on majority white communities - stopped them at the same rates, raided houses at the same rates, then I could see how it would not impact minority groups, but that is not what occurs.

That is how the criminal justice system is a system used to negatively impact specific minority groups in America.

Also, many people are arrested for a drug charge who are of a minority group just because their neighborhood is over policed compared to a white neighborhood, when they didn't even do or sell any drugs.

I'll note, being that across the country the white population is suffering the most from the opiod epidemic, so conversations on drugs is always interesting to me where people try to act like minorities do more drugs than whites. That has never been the case in this nation. Whites just aren't policed as often as minority groups.

I agree people who commit crimes should be impacted by breaking laws - but often this is not the case for wealthier and whiter areas even though on drugs especially - they do the same amount of drugs as minorities.
Thank you, for pointing out the truths as to crime and drugs, here's facts to support your truthful presentation.

FBI - Arrests, by Race and Ethnicity, 2016
*Of juveniles arrested for drug abuse violations, 74.8 percent were White.
*White individuals were arrested more often for violent crimes than individuals of any other race and accounted for 59.0 percent of those arrests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 AM

482 posts, read 242,369 times
No, but some cultures tend to have far more problems with poverty, while some cultures tend to be more financially successful. I went to HS with both Chinese American kids and Mexican American kids. Racism has nothing to do with the reason that the Chinese kids tended to be very good students and stayed out of trouble. Their culture promotes these behaviors more than most cultures. They're raised to be respectful and hard working is why they do well on average.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
No, but some cultures tend to have far more problems with poverty, while some cultures tend to be more financially successful. I went to HS with both Chinese American kids and Mexican American kids. Racism has nothing to do with the reason that the Chinese kids tended to be very good students and stayed out of trouble. Their culture promotes these behaviors more than most cultures. They're raised to be respectful and hard working is why they do well on average.

Poverty is an economic condition and not really a culture.

Also Chinese immigrants tend to be from families that are more well off versus many other immigrant groups. The Chinese and Asian Indians have the highest amounts of wealth and education amongst Asian immigrant groups. However, many Chinese Americans actually do suffer from poverty in specific geographic locations. Poverty in the Asian population in certain areas is growing at a faster rate than others today. I remember reading about how in NYC in particular that even with their higher levels of education, they are the most poverty stricken ethnic group in NYC (Asian Americans) which counters the stereotypical view of them.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I think fear distrust and misdirected anger are the giant factors in hurting our communities
We hear much about inequality
But when I was a janitor I never was angry that I did not draw the salary of the manager of the buildings I cleaned
How did I rise above it? Ask me how

Old 08-08-2018, 09:13 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Minorities are not held down.

/discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 12:01 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Chinese in a big part, had a tradition like a religion about paying respect to their ancestry, thus saving face is very big in their culture, which means are groomed with strong inference not to bring shame upon and unto the family.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:52 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
Uh, Have you ever taken an IQ test? It’s so clear to me that they dont truly measure ‘innate’ intelligence.
Use the Raven's progressive matrices. Totally abstract, and not culture-loaded. IOW, it measures fluid innate intelligence, not crystallized intelligence. The results are similar.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
You think there was less racism in 1930 than today so I know now not to take anything you say seriously lol.
lol No I don't and you have no proof. Make something else up.

Quote:
If you want to learn about the items discussed, you can read so read some books.
Translation you do not have an intelligent response

Quote:
It is funny to me you think something doesn't exist just because you don't know about it.
It is funny to me you think when you make things up, others will believe you.

Which institutions are racist?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Poverty is an economic condition and not really a culture.

Also Chinese immigrants tend to be from families that are more well off versus many other immigrant groups. The Chinese and Asian Indians have the highest amounts of wealth and education amongst Asian immigrant groups. However, many Chinese Americans actually do suffer from poverty in specific geographic locations. Poverty in the Asian population in certain areas is growing at a faster rate than others today. I remember reading about how in NYC in particular that even with their higher levels of education, they are the most poverty stricken ethnic group in NYC (Asian Americans) which counters the stereotypical view of them.
lol As if cherry picking from 1 city vs the nationwide. Black and Hispanic povery rate ~20%, Asians 10%, Whites 8%

Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I agree. Why should some black kid face jail time for smoking pot. Meanwhile those on Wall Street that gambled away trillions pre-2008 face no consequences.
Always go with the establishment. There is a sport called cricket where some games are fixed. The higher powers of the game know it, but if you venture on your own you are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies