Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. Since most of you have never experienced the racism that most blacks have (not only institutional but also the economically stiffing and punitive racism that can only be dealt from the majority to the minority) how would you have any idea how much racism or the intensity of that racism the average black person experiences?

Assuming that you yourselves are not racists - as many of you insist - that would indicate that you are probably not hanging with true racist and therefore not privy to all the thoughts and expressions and actions taken by those racists. So, again, what makes you think you should have any input (or standing to comment) as to what someone who is on the receiving end of racism experiences?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-09-2018 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It can affect your family. Also, I know many people who have been arrested for supposedly doing drugs (including my own spouse) who don't do drugs and whose charges were dropped and subsequently expunged - but in regards to my spouse, we had to pay to have those charges expunged and if one doesn't they can negatively impact your job opportunities. Some people falsely arrested because of the over-policing of black neighborhoods, do not have the money to pay to get these charges removed or they donj't know that an arrest shows up on their "criminal record."
What I'm saying is this. Black Americans don't control their economy in thier neighborhoods. Africans, jews, Hispanics, Arabs, Asians and Indians have business on black neighborhoods and services can be subpar. At end of the day such groups do not invest in the black community, instead invest the money in thier own community. Also Chinese food is very unhealthy, especially for black Americans who suffer disproportionately from type 2 diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.

I'm sorry to hear about your spouse. I'm glad that charges have been expunged. As a man who is in an relationship with a black American woman. I told her right off the back I have no criminal record. I don't and I live in the hood of nyc. How did I stsy out of trouble. School and work, come back home at a certain time, have positive family and role models. Look out for one another and be honest. I helped out plenty of black Americans by not having them face the wrath by NYPD, and helped some with resumes to obtain jobs.

Last, please don't judge my grammar. I'm typing from a smart phone.

I'm glad that your spouse has his criminal records expunged for misdemeanors and other small petty crimes. Small small crimes can make it difficult to find a local job to earn an honest pay living. I too would love to build an organization to help men get their records expunged. Getting arrested is also not a race thing, but also class. Blacks in America ignore class is an issue when it comes to crime. Remember, if you don't have the money, than do the time. A black American woman told me that phrase.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-09-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I wasn't cherry picking lol.

You said "poverty culture" was to blame for XYZ.

I said "poverty" is not a culture and explained that any group of people can be in poverty and it is hard to get out of poverty. Also that there are a lot of Asian Americans living in poverty today who adhere to what you all believe everyone should (have 2 parent homes, have education, etc.) yet they are still in poverty. That it is not so much about culture - but economic circumstances of the family.

Note, I don't have a bleeding heart
Poverty is not a culture, but the ghetto lifestyle with its machismo aspects and ghetto speak is a culture.

What Asians Americans are trapped in poverty?

1. There are 17 nationalities associated with Asia. I would say from what I've encountered in MA, that the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans and Indians do the best economically in the US. Those cultures have traditionally valued academic skills more highly. And less so, the Vietnamese, Filipinos, Thai and Malaysians cultures... historically. And a lot depends on their English skills.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM

241 posts, read 143,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I'm curious. Since most of you have never experienced the racism that most blacks have (not only institutional but also the economically stiffing and punitive racism that can only be dealt from the majority to the minority) how would you have any idea how much racism or the intensity of that racism the average black person experiences?

Assuming that you yourselves are not racists - as many of you insist - that would indicate that you are probably not hanging with true racist and therefore not privy to all the thoughts and expressions and actions taken by those racists. So, again, what makes you think you should have any input (or standing to comment) as to what someone who is on the receiving end of racism experiences?
Well we know the truth is that they are racist/prejudice and don’t care to see America from the eyes of a Black person. If this was the 1960’s many of these posters would be calling us n1663rs and telling us to get off their forum. Thankfully political correctness has stopped us from having to tak that abuse but on the flipside it has allowed the racists to hide like snakes in tall grass.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

830 posts, read 486,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It is pretty east to get insight into the experiences of others using wonderful tools such as language. It is not as if all black people are "black boxes" (pun intended) into which one can have absolutely no idea about the inner workings!

Why not speak with black people, listen to their podcasts, read their books. They're fellow human beings after all!

I've heard similar arguments from other Identity politics groups (such as women) to which I don't belong. For example, one often hears about how painful childbirth is, or how difficult it is to be a stay at home mom. As a guy, I'll never have direct experience with either of those things but I can still get a decent idea about certain aspect of them. For example, if a woman says that being a stay at home mom is the most difficult job in the world, I know that she is using hyperbole. There is plenty of evidence, including the testimony of other women, to aid in my understanding.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
In recent years the only news that is presented on network TV is about sex, race, and murder. Racism is reported on constantly to keep us distracted and divided.
the point you said, "they reported"... means its happening or has happened, Most people don't even know what the words "NEWS" stands for... " Its: N=North | E= East | W=West | S= South

Reporting was of design to Report the happening, event and concerns and interest that take place in these navigational quadrants.

Profit seeking in the form of advertisement revenue, drove
N.E.W.S. to become about "sensationalizing the Happenings, the Events, and Concerns and it then began to focus on "if it bleeds it leads", and sex and murder has always been of social interest, and race, has been a tool used to promote as well as to disparage.

It's always up to the individual to be of discerning minds when its comes to pursuing truths and facts. Knowing something about "history" can aid that process tremendously.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:19 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP: Is the Pope Catholic?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What I'm saying is this. Black Americans don't control their economy in thier neighborhoods. Africans, jews, Hispanics, Arabs, Asians and Indians have business on black neighborhoods and services can be subpar. At end of the day such groups do not invest in the black community, instead invest the money in thier own community. Also Chinese food is very unhealthy, especially for black Americans who suffer disproportionately from type 2 diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.

I'm sorry to hear about your spouse. I'm glad that charges have been expunged. As a man who is in an relationship with a black American woman. I told her right off the back I have no criminal record. I don't and I live in the hood of nyc. How did I stsy out of trouble. School and work, come back home at a certain time, have positive family and role models. Look out for one another and be honest. I helped out plenty of black Americans by not having them face the wrath by NYPD, and helped some with resumes to obtain jobs.

Last, please don't judge my grammar. I'm typing from a smart phone.

I'm glad that your spouse has his criminal records expunged for misdemeanors and other small petty crimes. Small small crimes can make it difficult to find a local job to earn an honest pay living. I too would love to build an organization to help men get their records expunged. Getting arrested is also not a race thing, but also class. Blacks in America ignore class is an issue when it comes to crime. Remember, if you don't have the money, than do the time. A black American woman told me that phrase.

on the bold - where did I say my spouse had "misdemeanors and other small petty crimes." You are falling in the OP type of trollish behavior with that.

I said he was arrested for suspected drug use - it was actually for "possession of a controlled substance." He was riding his bike home from work and the police stopped him and sat him on the street with other black men who were charged with the same thing. He went to court and the report showed he didn't have any drugs so charges were dismissed.

Point is that anytime you are arrested by police - you get a criminal record.

And authentic Chinese food is not unhealthy. Only the crappy Chinese food is unhealthy.

Your whole economy thing is similar to hotep stuff (that I've spoken to you before about) and the things they espoused. I'd rather black people open businesses in wealthy neighborhood where they would stand to obtain more profits than in a lower income neighborhood (black or otherwise). Also just because a business is black owned doesn't mean it will do anything of significance for the community.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
It is pretty east to get insight into the experiences of others using wonderful tools such as language. It is not as if all black people are "black boxes" (pun intended) into which one can have absolutely no idea about the inner workings!

Why not speak with black people, listen to their podcasts, read their books. They're fellow human beings after all!

I've heard similar arguments from other Identity politics groups (such as women) to which I don't belong. For example, one often hears about how painful childbirth is, or how difficult it is to be a stay at home mom. As a guy, I'll never have direct experience with either of those things but I can still get a decent idea about certain aspect of them. For example, if a woman says that being a stay at home mom is the most difficult job in the world, I know that she is using hyperbole. There is plenty of evidence, including the testimony of other women, to aid in my understanding.
When I passed a kidney stone, it was agony - from the desire/need to throw up every 5 minutes to the fact that I could not get comfortable for days on end no mater what position I was in... When I laid down I felt good for 30 seconds and then felt I had to sit - then stand - then lay down again. I rotated through those positions for hours.

A few of my female friends commented that what I was experiencing was the closest a man could get to "giving birth."

Since there are women who have also passed stones and since women give birth and no man has ever experienced that, I have to take the woman's word (over any man) as to how the passing of a stone is experienced and how similar it is to birth.

I think this analogy is appropriate when it comes to whites and blacks as to racism. and since no whites in this country can ever experience the same things blacks have/do, I have to wonder why it is that so many whites ignore and discount the experiences of blacks in this area.

In fact, a white person can always be found to tell blacks that the racism they are experiencing is not as bad as they believe, or that white experience just as bad - which I would find hilarious if it wasn't such a sad statement.

Edit: BTW, I don't believe any "language" can convey the depth of feelings. As terrible as something sounds, I don't believe someone hearing or reading about it, can get a true feeling of the experience. There is not enough empathy in anyone to achieve this transfer of feeling - especially if you do not have and have never experienced the same baseline emotion.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-09-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Poverty is not a culture, but the ghetto lifestyle with its machismo aspects and ghetto speak is a culture.

What Asians Americans are trapped in poverty?

1. There are 17 nationalities associated with Asia. I would say from what I've encountered in MA, that the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans and Indians do the best economically in the US. Those cultures have traditionally valued academic skills more highly. And less so, the Vietnamese, Filipinos, Thai and Malaysians cultures... historically. And a lot depends on their English skills.

On the bold - the ones living in poverty. I mentioned in specific regions, Asians have very high poverty rates. I specifically mentioned NYC poverty rates for Asians are the highest of all ethnic groups - including African Americans and Latinos. Asians also have higher poverty rates in Boston than black Americans. You've mentioned you are Asian and live in MA so I'm sure you are aware there are poor Asians in MA.

ETA: Being poverty stricken from an economic perspective doesn't mean that one engages in a "ghetto" or low class culture. It means they don't make a lot of money based on their family's size. And often not making decent money means you and your family are very vulnerable to negative financial circumstances such as a health issue for a family member.

When I was in college a good friend of mine had to drop out of school because her mother acquired breast cancer and my friend had to go home and take care of her younger siblings and work to help financially support the family since her mother was not able to. Mind you, her father died when she was a girl from another health condition and her grandparents and extended family were also rather poverty stricken so she had no other choice - other than not care about her mother and siblings - but to go back home and help the family. These are the things that often keep people of all backgrounds in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies