Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:12 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

The people, their culture and their lifestyle is the problem. Lack of ambition is another problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
It's a result of having a lack of self-worth. They don't care about themselves or their communities.

I would go a little further and say after years of cities being ruled by liberals and liberal failing their citizens only a change to people who know what they are doing is the answer. Liberal policies have been a dismal failure and the results is crime, murder and gangs running rapid.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:24 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The people, their culture and their lifestyle is the problem. Lack of ambition is another problem.
Actually I think its the lack of a family unit.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
It’s not the drug war that is causing this; it’s the drugs.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Actually I think its the lack of a family unit.
That is culture and lifestyle. Money doesn't seem to change things. Derrick Thomas, the football player made millions, but he had, I think, 11 kids with 9 different women.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:31 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,727 times
I keeping hearing it's the gangs doing the shooting and killing. I'm not buying it. I believe most of these shooting are due to petty personal disputes and other complete non sense. I'm not sure how much the police or city hall or anyone can do to greatly reduce the carnage. It has to start in the black community, with stable families, education and religion and above all how to resolve conflict without the use of violence. Sadly I don't think anything else will do much good.

Maybe we have to accept this as just being the way it is and live with it. This has been going on for over 50 years now.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It’s not the drug war that is causing this; it’s the drugs.
I agree, and they want people to be able to go to a store and buy meth or cocaine? Just look at what legalization has done for the strength and variety of marijuana. Making those hard drugs more socially acceptable would be disastrous for this country in my opinion.

And it probably wouldn’t stop cartels or crime, because they would just find something else for their black market.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
That's because any lawmakers who got together and built up a campaign to persuade Congress etc. that drug laws were creating far more problems than they are solving (a true statement) would be attacked, maligned, lied about, and professionally destroyed by the media and other politicians paid by the cartels. After which they would all lose their jobs and be unable to mount campaigns to do anything. Plus they'd have sh!tloads of p!ssed-off drug traffickers after them and their families, people who have direct ways of solving problems.

If the media would mount the campaign to persuade people we were better off without the drug laws, there might be a chance that would work. But it ain't gonna happen. Why not? Go ask the media.
Prohibition was a Christian movement. No shortage of counties throughout the US were dry. Many states banned alcohol as a part of their constitution. Congress overrode Wilson’s veto.

Speakeasies exploded. Organized crime got a major boost. Resources to combat were lacking.

The Constitution was amended and ratified in 1933. Took 13 years to repeal.

While a few states have legalized recreational marijuana and more will do so going forward, no state has legalized hard drugs and will not do so going forward.

The myth of Portugal is often cited as an example when it comes to legalizing drugs. All drugs, including marijuana, remain illegal in Portugal. Trafficking is a serious offense. What is different is how those caught with substance for personal use are treated.

Portugal chose to expand its Universal Healthcare System to include drug treatment, which relies on Methadone Treatment. Government vans make weekly drop offs at community centers and to homes in rural areas.

Unlike the US, opioid medications are not routinely prescribed, let alone used for recreational purposes. There is no pain pill gateway to heroin.

Things can get tough for those who relapse and resist treatment: including confiscation of assets.

Portugal’s population is 1/33 the size of the US.

On the flip side, countries that impose the harshest consequences on drug offenders, spend the least on drug enforcement.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Prohibition was a Christian movement. No shortage of counties throughout the US were dry. Many states banned alcohol as a part of their constitution. Congress overrode Wilson’s veto.

Speakeasies exploded. Organized crime got a major boost. Resources to combat were lacking.

The Constitution was amended and ratified in 1933. Took 13 years to repeal.

While a few states have legalized recreational marijuana and more will do so going forward, no state has legalized hard drugs and will not do so going forward.

The myth of Portugal is often cited as an example when it comes to legalizing drugs. All drugs, including marijuana, remain illegal in Portugal. Trafficking is a serious offense. What is different is how those caught with substance for personal use are treated.

Portugal chose to expand its Universal Healthcare System to include drug treatment, which relies on Methadone Treatment. Government vans make weekly drop offs at community centers and to homes in rural areas.

Unlike the US, opioid medications are not routinely prescribed, let alone used for recreational purposes. There is no pain pill gateway to heroin.

Things can get tough for those who relapse and resist treatment: including confiscation of assets.

Portugal’s population is 1/33 the size of the US.

On the flip side, countries that impose the harshest consequences on drug offenders, spend the least on drug enforcement.
Yeah, well we don’t want to go the way of Saudi Arabia, where the penalty for cocaine possession is decapitation, or at least it used to be in the early ‘90s according to someone I know who lived there at the time.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:59 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
It's a result of having a lack of self-worth. They don't care about themselves or their communities.

Organized crime is obviously not. They wouldn't care to get organized then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies