Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I would go a little further and say after years of cities being ruled by liberals and liberal failing their citizens only a change to people who know what they are doing is the answer. Liberal policies have been a dismal failure and the results is crime, murder and gangs running rapid.
Two of the most conservative cities in the US have high crime/ murder rates.

Some of the most liberal cities in the US have very low crime/ murder rates.

Crime is a personal choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I keeping hearing it's the gangs doing the shooting and killing. I'm not buying it. I believe most of these shooting are due to petty personal disputes and other complete non sense. I'm not sure how much the police or city hall or anyone can do to greatly reduce the carnage. It has to start in the black community, with stable families, education and religion and above all how to resolve conflict without the use of violence. Sadly I don't think anything else will do much good.

Maybe we have to accept this as just being the way it is and live with it. This has been going on for over 50 years now.
Personal disputes/ challenges made on social media are factors in many of the shootings. It is considered bad form to turn off your location on private messages.

Seems many affiliated with gangs engage in personal disputes on social media. This includes some of the victims.

While social media location trackers can pinpoint a location, it cannot distinguish between inside and outside or who in a group.

Victims who survive a shooting often don't talk. Instead they carry out retaliation on their own. If the victim does not make it, a brother or uncle or friend might seek revenge.

That the target may be one in a crowd does not seem to cause some hood rats to hesitate spraying bullets at the entire group.

Shooting is a personal choice.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, well we don’t want to go the way of Saudi Arabia, where the penalty for cocaine possession is decapitation, or at least it used to be in the early ‘90s according to someone I know who lived there at the time.
I was thinking about Singapore.

In any event, the imposed consequences have deterred the masses from using drugs or affiliating with people who do.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:14 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

In any event, the imposed consequences have deterred the masses from using drugs or affiliating with people who do.
I’m not sure Singapore would be much better, but I take your meaning.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
I was just back in Chicago for a few weeks visiting family and friends. NONE of us went to the "Taste of Chicago" or any and all related "festivals" because shootings/killings are so prominent at all of the above.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Haad Rin. Full Moon Party. Occasional noteworthy deaths. Yes, I've been there. Much less risky than going to Chicago for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I was just back in Chicago for a few weeks visiting family and friends. NONE of us went to the "Taste of Chicago" or any and all related "festivals" because shootings/killings are so prominent at all of the above.

I recall there was one shooting at Taste of Chicago about 15 years ago. Did you attend back then?

What have I missed about more recent shootings? How many were shot and killed at this year's event?

We are both, I assume, on the older side of average attendee age, at most city festivals. Nothing about mingling with 1 million + people anywhere, interests me. Same deal with Lolapalooza. There was however a large contingency of 40-50 somethings from my neighborhood who rented a bus to see Bruno Mars.

On the flip side, we are the prime demographic at the Old Town Art Fair and Ravinia, the latter of which is in Highland Park with trains to the city, right outside the gates. The Beach Boys and Darius Rucker don't attract young adults.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
Why can't they even mention that the drug war is the sole cause of 2018's gang violence ?

That is the irritating part, no discussion about the cause.
Gang violence is more about territory and tribalism than drugs.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, what drugs do you want legalized? Marijuana is one thing, but what about heroin, or cocaine or meth? Those are incredibly destructive drugs, and I’m not sure I want that to be legalized since legalization adds some social acceptability to it.
The places where hard drugs have been legalized, they have had nothing but positive results.

Keeping them illegal (even the hard drugs) just ensures the criminal cartels will continue to control the trade. Legalizing and regulating the industry is the only way to remove the criminal element and the dangers from using these hard drugs. A good example is supervised injection sites, they set up sites and give addicts pharma grade heroin (not laced or stepped on to increase weight to increase value), that takes most of the danger and risk away.

Thats what led to so many people dying when the elephant tranquilizer laced heroin was around, the addicts DIDNT KNOW it was laced with this stuff. If the trade was regulated, this would have never happened, because there would not be a black market to begin with.

Those of you that think hard drugs need to stay illegal....just remember, the drug cartels share this opinion with you!!!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The places where hard drugs have been legalized, they have had nothing but positive results.

Keeping them illegal (even the hard drugs) just ensures the criminal cartels will continue to control the trade. Legalizing and regulating the industry is the only way to remove the criminal element and the dangers from using these hard drugs. A good example is supervised injection sites, they set up sites and give addicts pharma grade heroin (not laced or stepped on to increase weight to increase value), that takes most of the danger and risk away.

Thats what led to so many people dying when the elephant tranquilizer laced heroin was around, the addicts DIDNT KNOW it was laced with this stuff. If the trade was regulated, this would have never happened, because there would not be a black market to begin with.

Those of you that think hard drugs need to stay illegal....just remember, the drug cartels share this opinion with you!!!
Most people define a hard drug as a substance that results in addiction, opiates/ opioids, cocain / by products and Meth.

What places have lelgalizecd hard drugs?

The Netherlands views heroin addiction as a health condition. It chooses to treat long - term heroin addicts with heroin 3x/ day in supervised municipal facilities. The UK has a similar deal.

All drugs used for recreational purposes, including marijuana, are illegal in Portugal. They do not view quantities for personal use as a crime instead, it’s treated as a health issue. Emphasis is on Methadone Maintenance.

Healthcare is not a civil right in the US and it does not have a Universal Healthcare System.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies