Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM

626 posts, read 992,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
if the doctors are for it, and the people are for it, then why not?
Define 'it'.

I doubt anyone can give a precise definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ann Intern Med -- Sign In Page
Annals of Internal Medicine (subscription required, which I don't have)

I'd be very interested in seeing this survey, including the question(s) asked and possible answers. A survey can be designed to generate a desired response.
They asked 2,000 doctors, wonder how many of them are liberals.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I advise you to read the constitution at least once in your life.
how does the constitution tie in (sincere question)

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
The Supreme Court has already found health and social insurance programs to be constitutional under the "general welfare" clause of Article I, Section 8 of the constitution (see Justice Cardozo's opinion in Helvering v. Davis).

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM

23,863 posts, read 24,096,161 times
"Constitutional" is far different than "required by the Constitution." I'd rather the government stick to what's required, and very sparingly pick up a FEW additional responsibilities (e.g. the interstate highway system was a good idea).

Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
It doesn't make any difference anyway. Now many really think that we will see a universal health care program in our lifetime anyway.Look at the cost of medicare and figure out how much it would cost.Ain't going to happen. That is why Obama says that like 15 million would not be able to afford it under his plAN.They have been talking about fixing social security;medicare and medicaid for years and ywears ;had commisions and congressional studies and still done nothing. medicare was I believe made law in 1966 and prescription drug program was promised year after year since then.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
After reading many of the threads on the pros and cons, I believe that in the long run our health care in Canada is less costly than what is available in the US. It's fine when you are young and healthy, but that won't last, as I am beginning to find out. ...You will too.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 AM

217 posts, read 752,029 times
A lot of conjecture flying about here!

The one point about doctors dealing with Medicare parts A & B is insightful. However, your doctor is dependent upon the payments received from any source, Medicare and insurance companies just happen to have an agreement with your provider that pays him a little over 50% of his bill. READ YOUR EOBs!

The US government is so crooked at present I don't know how it operates on what money is supposedly in the budgets. The defense bill is overblown by 500% or more due to the greed of sub-contractors and their knowledge of billing the government. Any project that is done by a sub-contractor for any branch of the government for any reason is a rape of funding. How and why it continues baffles me. Where are the whistle blowers? I am no longer around it.

Here in Washington, DC US government employees (GS ratings) receive - not earn - salaries that are unheard of anywhere else in the country. How many managers can there be? Who does the actual work? Where else in the nation can one receive $75K a year for sitting at a desk doing nothing 6 hours a day - it was supposed to be an 8 hour day but an hour lunch break and other personal errands tie that up.
Exaggerating? Those in that position know well who I speak of. Flex-hours, sick leave and vacation give that employee quite a break from the office.

Too bad the rest of America doesn't enjoy this kind of employment. The one thing that beats it all is it is almost impossible to be fired from these positions.

Some of the worse I have seen is at the Government Accounting Office - GAO. You would think it was a party or free day.
Getting one of those (as seen on TV) quick 6-week college degrees is a sure raise. Oh, yeah. A college degree in Air Technology can give the average paper pusher an added boost in salary and assure a manager position for life. Air Technology may be the odor of the room but the US government loves the point you have that "degree" and gives you the key to moving into a number of any jobs you have no idea of.
Retirement? I have friends that are retired from the federal government and receive more than I ever did working hard. Some of them did little, if anything and were drunk at work. I have a friend who reads the Post, the Times and USA Today from cover to cover, eats lunch, then surfs the internet until it's time to go home. He writes his own performance reviews and gets raises. He did go to school and got a degree in literature 30 years ago but, what does that have to do with his $90K government employment?
If I come across as bitter or jealous the answer is NO WAY. I gave up a position like that because there is no mental challenge to it. Why go brain dead at work? I got another degree and changed my career. I am merely in awe of the ineptness of the federal government.

Yet the question of HEALTH CARE is again on the table?

Ask a senator or representative about his health are plan.
The manner in which cash flows in the federal system needs to be corrected before universal health care is addressed.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
fish

unless there is a social upheaval I don't think any of what you said will happen

These guys in Washington are eating heavily off our tax dollars.

Also what health plan do the politicians have? If they have a universal health care plan then I think they should have that revoked or we citizens should raise pure hell.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
if the doctors are for it, and the people are for it, then why not?
Because the govt and big corporate ain't !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies