Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 03:32 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Get the Fed Gov OUT of health care.

Oh yes, let's get that big bad goooooooberment out of health care! That's the answer. God, do you people ever stop to think why the big bad 'ol gooooooberment entered health care in the first place? Maybe it is because private industry could not control and regulate itself in the first place causing the deaths of thousands of Americans and tainting untold number of health and food products?

Yes, let's return to the days when food companies could rip off consumers 100% by giving them half of what they claimed was in a product. Let's go back to the days when we had deceptive packaging, such as simply using yellow plastic over a package of noodles to claim they were egg noodles, when they were simply plain noodles. Let's go back to the days when maple syrup was not regulated and industry charged consumers like they were getting pure maples syrup but were instead just getting 75% sugar water. Let's go back to the days when food was not regulated under the McNary-Mapes amendment. Back to the days when industry gave us products like Banbar, which was marketed as a treatment for diabetes, that was completely ineffective, causing the deaths of untold numbers of people. Let's go back to the days when private, unregulated industry was selling dinitrophenol to consumers as a way to quickly lose weight and to boost metabolism when consumers who took it found out that it caused cataracts, fatal blood disorders, and other serious side effects. Let's go back to the days when private unregulated healthcare and medicine industries were able to give us products like Koremlu for hair removal, which of course was nothing more than thallium acetate - a common and highly toxic chemical used to kill rodents - that not only caused hair loss, but blindness, loss of teeth, neuromuscular damage, and death. Let's go back to the unregulated days when industry was able to sell us products like nuxated iron, which promised to invigorate and improve athletic ability. The only problem was that the product was derived from the same plant from which you can get strychnine; multiple people died consuming nuxated iron. How about going back to the days without the goooooooberment when you could buy othine, a product used as a cream to remove brown spots. The only problem with othine is that it used mercury and caused dozens of people to have permanent kidney damage, heart damage, and neurological impairment.

Seriously, do you types of people ever read a history book? The FDA, DEA, USDA, etc. etc. just didn't spring up out of no where. It used to be the wild wild west in terms of our food and drug safety; millions of consumers every single year take it for granted that they have safe drugs and food to consume or that what they're buying IS actually milk, syrup, or butter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This just in!!! people love the idea of someone else having to pay their bills!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is the gist of the OP and many other posts in this thread. They're demanding a return to slavery.
That's awfully condescending and sounds like something Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity would say. Both of you clearly did not understand the bog words I used. I don't want anyone to ay my frigging bills. I just don't want my bills to be so high that I can't get my insulin and pay for it myself.

The "return to slavery" part is so asinine I won't bother to shoot it down. Others already have.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:37 PM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's awfully condescending and sounds like something Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity would say. Both of you clearly did not understand the bog words I used. I don't want anyone to ay my frigging bills. I just don't want my bills to be so high that I can't get my insulin and pay for it myself.

The "return to slavery" part is so asinine I won't bother to shoot it down. Others already have.
You've taken my post out of context and if you had bothered to read the rest of my posts on the matter, you'll see that I've offered my opinion on how to lower medical expenses.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have private insurance or Medicare.
Right now Medicare. I lost my work-provided insurance, oddly enough, when I was in the hospital and lost my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You've taken my post out of context and if you had bothered to read the rest of my posts on the matter, you'll see that I've offered my opinion on how to lower medical expenses.
I'm catching back up on the thread after being away from the computer all day.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
In the past you would have died because there would have been no cure. Maybe the medical industry should close up shop so you can blame god instead of them for your misfortune?
That's helpful to this debate. Well, not really. It illustrates an earlier post I made about people wanting to make political points and pat themselves on the back not to mention the title I gave to the thread in the first place. You just proved my point. Catgirl mentioned health care being a divisive issue in this country. She's right and it blows me away. Not wanting people to die earlier than they should, not wanting folks to go bankrupt, not wanting that mother in the OP to have to lie to hr daughter... those should not be divisive issues.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Snd her $500 if it bothers you so much. I am sure she'd take it and say thanks.
You obviously did not read the OP.

SMH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And checking the prices on GoodRx and then calculating my needs if I were a Type 2 Diabetic, the best insulin on the market (Lantus) would run me ~$115 per month, if I paid cash and had exactly no insurance.
I will look into that. $115 is more doable but is still more than 10% of my monthly income.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So society should take care of you because you did not have the foresight to plan ahead? Sorry you are going through this but you are not my problem nor society’s. I had planned ahead long before I became the beneficiary of a trust fund.

Sound callous, maybe, but you need to take care of you.
I'm open for suggestions on how to take care of this. Finding a job with health benefits was already mentioned even though I had a job with health benefits when I went into the hospital. I also am not ready to find work right now according to my doctors who know about such things. Also, how does one become the beneficiary of a trust fund? I missed out on that.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:11 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm open for suggestions on how to take care of this. Finding a job with health benefits was already mentioned even though I had a job with health benefits when I went into the hospital. I also am not ready to find work right now according to my doctors who know about such things. Also, how does one become the beneficiary of a trust fund? I missed out on that.
These posters are just giving you lip-service, and I wouldn’t count on them admitting to it anytime soon.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Oh yes, let's get that big bad goooooooberment out of health care! That's the answer. God, do you people ever stop to think why the big bad 'ol gooooooberment entered health care in the first place? Maybe it is because private industry could not control and regulate itself in the first place causing the deaths of thousands of Americans and tainting untold number of health and food products?

Yes, let's return to the days when food companies could rip off consumers 100% by giving them half of what they claimed was in a product. Let's go back to the days when we had deceptive packaging, such as simply using yellow plastic over a package of noodles to claim they were egg noodles, when they were simply plain noodles. Let's go back to the days when maple syrup was not regulated and industry charged consumers like they were getting pure maples syrup but were instead just getting 75% sugar water. Let's go back to the days when food was not regulated under the McNary-Mapes amendment. Back to the days when industry gave us products like Banbar, which was marketed as a treatment for diabetes, that was completely ineffective, causing the deaths of untold numbers of people. Let's go back to the days when private, unregulated industry was selling dinitrophenol to consumers as a way to quickly lose weight and to boost metabolism when consumers who took it found out that it caused cataracts, fatal blood disorders, and other serious side effects. Let's go back to the days when private unregulated healthcare and medicine industries were able to give us products like Koremlu for hair removal, which of course was nothing more than thallium acetate - a common and highly toxic chemical used to kill rodents - that not only caused hair loss, but blindness, loss of teeth, neuromuscular damage, and death. Let's go back to the unregulated days when industry was able to sell us products like nuxated iron, which promised to invigorate and improve athletic ability. The only problem was that the product was derived from the same plant from which you can get strychnine; multiple people died consuming nuxated iron. How about going back to the days without the goooooooberment when you could buy othine, a product used as a cream to remove brown spots. The only problem with othine is that it used mercury and caused dozens of people to have permanent kidney damage, heart damage, and neurological impairment.

Seriously, do you types of people ever read a history book? The FDA, DEA, USDA, etc. etc. just didn't spring up out of no where. It used to be the wild wild west in terms of our food and drug safety; millions of consumers every single year take it for granted that they have safe drugs and food to consume or that what they're buying IS actually milk, syrup, or butter
It's cute that people think that their little neighborhood committee will be able properly ensure food and drug safety, much less truthfulness of what are actually in the products.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So society should take care of you because you did not have the foresight to plan ahead? Sorry you are going through this but you are not my problem nor society’s. I had planned ahead long before I became the beneficiary of a trust fund.

Sound callous, maybe, but you need to take care of you.
One can plan and save everything they've got, but sometimes things happen before the destination (financial security) is reached.

Fate doesn't give a damn about respecting anybody's planning timetable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies