Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 09:55 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I did this once when I was a kid, except it was in a trailer park. My family was visiting a relative that lived in one of those retirement trailer parks, and I was at the pool and went to the trailer from the back way, and went through the back door, and realized my mistake immediately. LOL, I walked right into some old couple's trailer, and they looked at me and me at them in shock. I was then like "Uh, do you know where the Saranac's live?". The woman told me two trailers down, and then gave me a basket of home made chocolate chip cookies she had just made to give to my aunt, and then I left and went on my way.

But I still don't buy this cop's story. I just don't believe her and she looks shady as hell.
Same. I've done this before in my condo building in DC. I was walking my dog around 8pm and admittedly, I was texting and hit the same condo as mine, but I was on the wrong floor (I was on 3 instead of 2). I wondered why my key wasn't going in, then realized I had the wrong apt. Some girl opened the door and I was kinda embarrassed, but the girl laughed, pet my dog (and she kinda flirted with me, not gonna lie) and we went on about our day.

If I knew I was in the wrong apt, my first instinct wouldn't be for my dog to attack anyone. That's why that Amber officer's entire story seems really just silly and suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 09:57 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Twenty something % of the apartment dwellers have gone to the wrong door. Obviously that's why the victim put the mat out. However, she had her arms loaded with her backpack and junk, so she missed it. Not to mention, she was apparently in heat and sexting. Still, the poor guy was sitting on his couch eating vanilla ice cream topped with crushed cookies. It could have been any of us. This cop was a disgrace, she needs to go to jail.

The difference of stepping from concrete to a rug would be easily palpable even if one wasn't looking down.

And how was she fumbling with her key if her arms were loaded?

Old 09-26-2019, 10:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Same. I've done this before in my condo building in DC. I was walking my dog around 8pm and admittedly, I was texting and hit the same condo as mine, but I was on the wrong floor (I was on 3 instead of 2). I wondered why my key wasn't going in, then realized I had the wrong apt. Some girl opened the door and I was kinda embarrassed, but the girl laughed, pet my dog (and she kinda flirted with me, not gonna lie) and we went on about our day.

If I knew I was in the wrong apt, my first instinct wouldn't be for my dog to attack anyone. That's why that Amber officer's entire story seems really just silly and suspect.
She states she did not know, she thought she was in her apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The difference of stepping from concrete to a rug would be easily palpable even if one wasn't looking down.

And how was she fumbling with her key if her arms were loaded?
I am sure it is doable to fumble with keys while arms are loaded, done it a million times.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She states she did not know, she thought she was in her apartment.

I am sure it is doable to fumble with keys while arms are loaded, done it a million times.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So you're saying this lady knowingly and willingly caused the death of the victim?? .
She intended to kill him because she pointed the gun and shot at him. She didn't even shoot him in the leg or something, she shot him in the chest. Seems like an intentional killing to me.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:42 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I've done it before (walked into the wrong apt)... but, yes, the devil is in the minute details.
Did you kill the occupant when you walked into the wrong apartment?

Old 09-26-2019, 02:49 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
the DA overcharged her and i am afraid that's going to lead to acquittal. This was negligent homicide with the added use of a firearm. that carries a 10 year sentence and that's what she should have been charged with.

They went for murder and the standard is way above what she is guilty of.

23% of the residents of this condo have admitted to going to the wrong apartment. She should go to jail. she is guilty of killing Botham John. She should not be found guilty of First degree Murder. That's an over charge.

she could walk because the DA screwed up.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She intended to kill him because she pointed the gun and shot at him. She didn't even shoot him in the leg or something, she shot him in the chest. Seems like an intentional killing to me.
I do not think anyone here, even her, is disputing this.

The only dispute is how to weigh the "I thought I was in my apartment and he was an intruder".

Old 09-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the DA overcharged her and i am afraid that's going to lead to acquittal. This was negligent homicide with the added use of a firearm. that carries a 10 year sentence and that's what she should have been charged with.

They went for murder and the standard is way above what she is guilty of.

23% of the residents of this condo have admitted to going to the wrong apartment. She should go to jail. she is guilty of killing Botham John. She should not be found guilty of First degree Murder. That's an over charge.

she could walk because the DA screwed up.
I have no idea/cannot recall Texas law about being considered for a lower charge by the jury.

At that, I believe the murder charge was for political reasons, not practical ones. Anything less because she is a white cop, and the victim was a black guy, would have been a political mess for some people.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

23% of the residents of this condo have admitted to going to the wrong apartment.

Unfortunately, that cop had no training in taking surveys.

The condo--like many such complexes--have people who do not decorate or differentiate their doors and people who do. Certainly, there will be a significant percentage that mistakes undifferentiated doors.

But we are not talking here about an undifferentiated door.

A trained survey-taker would have understood that the significant question is what percentage of people have admitted going to the wrong apartment when the resident has decorated or differentiated his door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies