Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 11:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Local news just said that they seized both the victim's and officer's door locks and keys, along with the computerized data contained in both. They also seized all security video data from the apartment's leasing office. Plus, all the video from the parking garage and hallways. I believe they said five search warrants were carried out and they will be sealed for 31 days. They also searched the officer's apartment. Her search was done without a warrant because she consented to the search. This was done last week. Sorry no link, but I was watching WFAA. I also didn't catch who the "they" were, I assume the Ranger's (don't really know).
The Texas Rangers have an awesome title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
It seems as if the credibility of the officer is being questioned by all sides of the political spectrum!

A thread, plus other social media, where everyone is in unison is a rarity, these days!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Does not seem to be any controversy to this, she walked into an apartment and killed the resident.

Sure, I do not believe she did this on purpose, and I do believe she thought she was in her apartment, but that does not mean she should not be punished for what she did, the only question is what punishment she should get.

I completely understand about getting the wrong apartment, I have gotten off the wrong floor before, and I have had even maintenance knock and start coming in all to find out it was the wrong apartment.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:45 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Does not seem to be any controversy to this, she walked into an apartment and killed the resident.

Sure, I do not believe she did this on purpose, and I do believe she thought she was in her apartment, but that does not mean she should not be punished for what she did, the only question is what punishment she should get.

I completely understand about getting the wrong apartment, I have gotten off the wrong floor before, and I have had even maintenance knock and start coming in all to find out it was the wrong apartment.

These are funny moments, except when you are armed and ready to shoot.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:45 AM

200 posts, read 548,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
These are funny moments, except when you are armed and ready to shoot.
Very true...Personally I had an extreme case due to a same day hotel booking....
I opened the door and found someone else (a dark figure, not sure even male or female) on the bed.
It turned out the hotel assigned me a room that was already occupied.
I guess I should count myself lucky neither of us had a gun...

Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
That this happened - a man with no connection to criminal activity who is sitting at home on his very own couch - is killed by a police officer who walks in his door is a very unlikely event. The typical explanation that there was some romantic entanglement appears to not be the case.

A commercial airliner crash is also an unlikely event with investigations often showing multiple causes - some combination of pilot error, mechanical malfunction, weather, tower miscommunication, maintenance issue etc. For one to occur there must be a series of coincidences that is statistically improbable.

That she'd just moved in makes more believable the lack of "muscle memory" that we more often than not operate on when tired or zoned out. That the apartment door was electronic and self-closing makes more likely that Jean relied on its mechanism and didn't notice an improper closing. That the intruder was a police officer makes more likely that she would confront not flee, particularly with long halls (I believe) that provide no cover. That she had a gun available makes more likely there would be a shooting.

The alternate explanation (that she'd gone there deliberately in uniform to intimidate over noise then lost it) is also improbable - we hope for who wants to think of rogue, unstable police officers. But that, too, could have happened.

In some ways, that's the more satisfying scenario for there the police officer clearly should be charged with murder etc. with Jean a victim of more than a series of coincidences.

Most agree that the officer should in some way "pay" for her action. But on some level we want a perpetrator punished because of deliberate action not those improbable coincidences.

Maybe the clearest path to some retribution is that she used her service weapon when off duty - and, as many do, chose to use it badly.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 AM

1,066 posts, read 630,319 times
Life in prison is only answer

Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Question for Guyger defenders. You know who you are. If I worked for long hours and become fatigued from it and crashes my car into someone killing that person, what do you think should happen to me?

I asked this because conservatives are starting to suggest that this was an accident and she should get off completely.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
If she couldn't find her own apartment, she should not be a police. Period.

Yes, people do make mistakes, there is no doubt about it. But from the time she entered wrong apartment till the time she killed somebody, there were many opportunities for her to realize her mistake. Not a very intelligent or a responsible person. Making mistake is just a lame excuse.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Question for Guyger defenders. You know who you are. If I worked for long hours and become fatigued from it and crashes my car into someone killing that person, what do you think should happen to me?

I asked this because conservatives are starting to suggest that this was an accident and she should get off completely.
Instead of a car accident, the closest example is what happens to a person who mistakenly kills who they think is an intruder.

No argument ... only an investigation (of the door locks etc.) will show the probability this was an accident not a cop gone crazy ... but under the accident assumption ...

This "accident" differs from my example because the setting is flipped (the cop was the one who pushed open that door) plus she was an officer who's presumably better trained.

But it also differs because Jean played no part at all in his death - not even, say, popping into a friend's house to "surprise" them. That he's totally innocent (contributing not in the least to the outcome) really doesn't change how one weighs how the cop processed various inputs. It only impacts how we view the incident.

A while back someone implied that Jean might be at fault - at least partially - for not following the cop's instructions. That I don't get. She appears to have shot pretty much right away with the closest witness not hearing a man's voice, or being able to tell.

A criminal might half expect the police to come popping in and respond - either by fleeing or by following commands. Jean? No doubt he was surprised to the point of immobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies