Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

How strange that such a pathetic loser could become a billionaire and president
Oh Yes i remember mr obama remarks
We did not build it We are just white and lucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I know for a fact that the official death toll was in the 60s for months after the storm passed and all of a sudden it was inflated to thousands with no data to back up the claim. That ~3000 person claimed death toll was instantly used to attack the President, FEMA and the GOP by the left and it continues today. It's never been proven and it doesn't make sense. Your personal feels about Trump are meaningless, the death toll math just doesn't add up.
Again..., just about every disaster reports low casualties in the early going, and just about always the numbers grow over time, as the numbers can be better counted and confirmed. Never noticed that? Besides the number of deaths, 60 or 3,000, there is much else to criticize when it comes to what happened in PR, still the problems of recovery going on there today, aside from Trump's bone-head comments along the way. I won't quote him again...

How has Trump proven his claim?!? That the number accepted by PR authorities (2,975) was Democrats raising the death toll “in order to make me look as bad as possible.”

This you accept without a second thought? Without question? And you want to suggest you are being objective about this?

My feelings and all others not so enamored by Trump may be "meaningless" to you, of course. Never said otherwise. Our feelings are meaningless in terms of what is truth vs fiction. It's healthy to check the numbers and cross check them, but to dismiss them out of hand because of yet another conspiracy against Trump? Oh HELL no...

My feeling that Trump is a chump continues to be reinforced as Trump goes on about PR, now, while we've got possibly an even bigger disaster hitting our eastern shores.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
WaldoKitty spreading his kitty litter again.

“This was a scientific research project commissioned by the government of Puerto Rico and independently done,” said Carlos Santos-Burgoa, who led the study from George Washington University's Milken Institute of School of Public Health.

“We stand by what we did,” Santos-Burgoa told USA TODAY in a telephone interview, adding that the study that found 2,975 deaths underwent rigorous peer review.

Bad kitty. No milk for you.
Hey! Don't try to bury the truth in the kitty litter! Or even give it the chance to see light of day...

No matter how many times it is pointed out, for example, that initial death counts for most large disasters are far lower than later confirmed, the stubborn insistence on conspiracy instead continues. Fact is, officials first told Trump the number was 16! Then numbers went up from there, of course, like always. Duh, but still the Trump supporters continue to insist the numbers can't go up after initially estimated!

Why? Too obvious. Sad and all too obvious...

Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hey! Don't try to bury the truth in the kitty litter! Or even give it the chance to see light of day...

No matter how many times it is pointed out, for example, that initial death counts for most large disasters are far lower than later confirmed, the stubborn insistence on conspiracy instead continues. Fact is, officials first told Trump the number was 16! Then numbers went up from there, of course, like always. Duh, but still the Trump supporters continue to insist the numbers can't go up after initially estimated!

Why? Too obvious. Sad and all too obvious...
huh?

Quote:
Trump supporters continue to insist the numbers can't go up after initially estimated!
Got some proof of that? going from 16 to like 100 is one thing, but to go from 16 to nearly 3000? Really?

Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Responses.
  • I don't think about Black Helicopters. Why are you?
  • When I have I said that I believe Trump without question? Furthermore anyone who doesn't think CNN, WaPo, and NY Times produces biased fake news against Trump, was probably surprised on Election night.
  • It's you and the Democrats who are doing all the talking about the storm from a year ago. Not Trump. You are even posting in a topcic about it.
  • I am worried about the storm hitting now. I have family all over the coastline of the Carolinas.
  • Sick & tired of the nonsense? You just insulted Me, Trump, and large numbers of Americans. A clean street starts on the side closest to your house.
  • The ship is fine.
Uhh...

Are you trying to be funny?

One thing is what nonsense we waste time going on about in this forum, but watch just about any source of news, and there's TRUMP going on about these numbers! Trump could do any number of things instead of being the continuous nimrod fighting these battles like he does, Tweeting like a teenager about how someone doesn't like them.

You know what Trump? Lots of people "are just not into you!"

No one need invent all this negativity surrounding Trump, about Trump, thanks to Trump. His embarrassing antics are IMPOSSIBLE to ignore, escape, except for Trump supporters wearing those UUGE blinders. Trump not to blame when he is forever in the middle of the sheet pot, by no one's doing but his own!

What's next? Trump's hairdo is because the Democrats are conspiring to make him look bad?

Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Exactly. How many police and fireman died of health complications AFTER 9/11? Their deaths have not been added to the body count that I am aware of.
You are wrong.

Quote:
2,974 victims were confirmed to have died in the initial attacks; this includes Sneha Anne Philip, a doctor, who in 2008 was ruled to have died on 9/11.[10] In 2007, the New York City medical examiner's office began to add people who died of illnesses caused by exposure to dust from the site to the official death toll. The first such victim was a woman, a civil rights lawyer, who had died from a chronic lung condition in February 2002.[11] In September 2009, the office added a man who died in October 2008,[12] and in 2011, a male accountant who had died in December 2010.[13] This raises the number of victims at the World Trade Center site to 2,753, and the overall 9/11 death toll to 2,996.[2]

Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
huh?

Got some proof of that? going from 16 to like 100 is one thing, but to go from 16 to nearly 3000? Really?
Can't do the research myself of course, but I think there is enough worthy evidence to finally divorce ourselves of the original death count. No?

The original count had languished under a cloud of skepticism ever since it was announced by Puerto Rico’s Department of Public Safety in December 2017. The Category 4 hurricane was the worst natural disaster ever to strike the United States territory and the third costliest storm on record, having caused an estimated $90 billion in damage. Even before government officials locked the Hurricane Maria death toll in at 64, statistics-based estimates by a number of different sources indicated that the actual total could top 1,000.

The GWU study, conducted in collaboration with researchers from the University of Puerto Rico Graduate School of Public Health, was commissioned by Governor Ricardo Rosselló in February 2018 in response to widespread criticism of the earlier estimate. GWU’s results differ from those of a July 2018 study by Harvard University which concluded, based on survey data with a wide margin of uncertainty, that as many as 4,645 Puerto Ricans died as a result of the hurricane over a two-and-a-half month period. The newer findings relied on government mortality data and death certificates, which the researchers say afford a more accurate accounting of the death toll than survey data.

Both studies used their respective data to calculate overall mortality rates for the time periods covered, which were then compared to the expected mortality rate if the hurricane had not occurred. This yielded, in each instance, an “excess mortality rate” that could be attributed to the storm. GWU’s researchers arrived an excess mortality rate of 22 percent. That percentage was applied to the population as a whole to estimate a final death toll of 2,975.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/06/...a-puerto-rico/

Hard for me to dismiss all this in any case, objectively speaking...

Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
How strange that such a pathetic loser could become a billionaire and president
Oh Yes i remember mr obama remarks
We did not build it We are just white and lucky
Not so strange when we consider all the pathetic losers, also very wealthy, who ended up in jail or belong there. I have known some wealthy business people personally who I wouldn't trust with my dog! Not altogether that smart either, but with a little help from mommy or daddy, they did something with their privilege and of course declared themselves better than everyone else. Not!

You are obviously one of those people who admires lots of money over the more important leadership attributes, and you either didn't understand what Obama was explaining or can't accept the truth about what Obama was explaining, probably because you too have an ego that gets in the way of objective reason. I'm not sure I know a more civil way to explain the confusion, but confused you are!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Just because people did not die during the storm doesn't mean deaths afterward were not a direct influence from the storm. Without power and fresh water, I have no doubt that thousands did die in the months afterward. By the way, the 3000 was not from the government, it was from an independent study.
Uh-Oh.......... Another one of them "Independent studies".

Old 09-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Uh-Oh.......... Another one of them "Independent studies".
Right! I hate those when all I want to do is think what I want to think...

"We don't need no stinking studies!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies