Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 09:55 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But they lack the morals not to come here illegally and steal jobs from Americans. Who do you think were doing those construction jobs in the hot summer before they entered the picture? It was Americans who worked them for a fair wage. I never said that every day laborer here has a Reconquista agenda. What I said is that will happen naturally if we don't put a stop to illegal immigration.

There are plenty of Mexicans with the Reconquista mindset. Just because your family wasn't that way doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
It does exist. Just a fringe group of La Raza nutjobs.

As for morals, of course they don't see a problem picking up a job no one really wants anymore and if Americans are offering work, they're gonna take it.

I doubt I'd be thinking "is this right?" if I knew that on the other side of that border I had a better chance than here. Too poor to broke and frustrated to think "revolution" because EVERYTHING is corrupt. The world for me is effed up and my best chance is to cross and hope for the best.

Not justifying but showing an understanding.

And if I they get caught, it's fair game. That's the law working. The only real way the problem is gonna be fixed if all corruption is fixed in Mexico, but I doubt that's ever gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It does exist. Just a fringe group of La Raza nutjobs.

As for morals, of course they don't see a problem picking up a job no one really wants anymore and if Americans are offering work, they're gonna take it.

I doubt I'd be thinking "is this right?" if I knew that on the other side of that border I had a better chance than here. Too poor to broke and frustrated to think "revolution" because EVERYTHING is corrupt. The world for me is effed up and my best chance is to cross and hope for the best.

Not justifying but showing an understanding.

And if I they get caught, it's fair game. That's the law working. The only real way the problem is gonna be fixed if all corruption is fixed in Mexico, but I doubt that's ever gonna happen.

Just what are these jobs that Americans supposedly won't do for a fair wage and who do you think were doing them before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? What is it with you Hispanics that think your ethnic group should be above our immigration laws?

Americans couldn't be offering these jobs if these illegals weren't in our country illegally to take them. They aren't the innocents in all of this. They are just as guilty of breaking the law as these greedy employers are. So if someone offers you money to drive the get-away car in a robbery you're guilt free because after all you had no choice but to do it for the money?

Mexicans and other Latinos need to stay in their own countries and fix them but they are too cowardly to do so and are a part of that corrupt culture. They have no right to take from Americans what doesn't belong to them. I have no understanding for people who are law breakers and selfish.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:25 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Actually over half the states in the U.S. recognize English as their official language.

The majority of the Americas are Spanish-speaking, so I can't figure out why anyone would feel threatened or get upset by English, the minority language of the hemisphere, being declared the official language of the United States.
Except that what the OP claimed is it’s the de facto lanagiage of North America, which it is demonstrably not, and that some how immigrants to the US need a language test despite the fact we have never had a national language. Making English a national language would be a separate request, one many of us would not support.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Well if Latin Americans want to colonize America like real men with an army, instead of by just imposing themselves by arriving illegally and letting liberals protect them, then I'm all game.

Why bring up US Indian tribes. Latin Americans even those who are 100% Indian are not natives to the US but to where ever they came from in Latin America. The US has its own recognized Indian tribes.
Oh, so like how the quakers did?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:30 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Illegal immigration has accelerated divisions within our country and our breakdown into tribes. Immigrants, no matter where they come from are not integrating effectively, which is a major issue for our civil society. There is too large a population within our borders that does not share on or believe in our system or our traditional beliefs.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Some fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Illegal immigration has accelerated divisions within our country and our breakdown into tribes. Immigrants, no matter where they come from are not integrating effectively, which is a major issue for our civil society. There is too large a population within our borders that does not share on or believe in our system or our traditional beliefs.
There's a lot of rhetoric claiming divisions. & there's a lot rhetoric that the institutions of the republic are old-fashioned, out of touch, harming our citizens - the police, mass media, justice, government, schools, utilities, & so on. The percentage of immigrants @ any one time in the US hasn't reached the percentages of the mass entries in the 1890s.

"Assimilation

"A 2018 study in the American Sociological Review found that within racial groups, most immigrants to the United States had fully assimilated within a span of 20 years.[197] Immigrants arriving in the United States after 1994 assimilate more rapidly than immigrants who arrived in previous periods.[197] Measuring assimilation can be difficult due to "ethnic attrition", which refers to when ancestors of migrants cease to self-identify with the nationality or ethnicity of their ancestors. This means that successful cases of assimilation will be underestimated. Research shows that ethnic attrition is sizable in Hispanic and Asian immigrant groups in the United States.[198][199] By taking account of ethnic attrition, the assimilation rate of Hispanics in the United States improves significantly.[198][200] A 2016 paper challenges the view that cultural differences are necessarily an obstacle to long-run economic performance of migrants. It finds that "first generation migrants seem to be less likely to success the more culturally distant they are, but this effect vanishes as time spent in the USA increases."[201] "

(My emphasis - more detail @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr..._United_States)

So no. The data seem to line up on the side of assimilation.

If we want faster assimilation of immigrants, we should probably put more money & attention on the public schools K-12. That's the main engine of assimilation, from what I see. Transitional bilingual education speeds English fluency - & I'd like to see long-term bilingual education as a way to maintain Spanish language fluency (Spanish because that seems to be the foreign language in use in much of the US - other languages should also be considered, if they're in sufficiently wide use too) & the cultures of the countries of origin in the US - but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that @ the moment.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:31 AM

720 posts, read 500,923 times
I guess I'm late to the party, but I wouldn't say we're going overboard to accommodate the Hispanic population, I'd say we might be doing too much politically to accommodate illegal immigrants. I can understand why people will risk life and limb to come to this country if they think they have an opportunity to provide for themselves and their families, but the law is what it is. I think Democrats are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate illegal immigrants because they need another voting bloc beholden to them every 2-4 years.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
When our Sheriff department and other LE agencies like Fish and Wildlife can't detain someone they are sure is an illegal alien we've way overstepped accomodations for certain groups of people. 2 sets of laws, 2 different societies.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:14 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I’m not saying that there are no working class whites in America. I’m well aware that there are.

However, I live in a sanctuary jurisdiction in which illegal immigrants have many kinds of protection, receive aid from the government and even get drivers licenses. The schools know that they have illegal immigrants. But they are not required to report them. They have specific anti-bullying policies regarding the children of illegal immigrants. I know a principal who learned Spanish to communicate better with the students in his school.

The working class whites that used to be here have left the area. I saw it happen over a number of years. There still are lots of whites who live here. But nearly all of them are middle class or affluent. Very few of them do low-skilled or menial jobs.
So...you live in MoCo, correct? MoCo, home of CASA de Maryland. Yup, the whole county aides and abets illegal immigration and does nothing when illegals destroy communities and schools.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:26 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
th
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
There's a lot of rhetoric claiming divisions. & there's a lot rhetoric that the institutions of the republic are old-fashioned, out of touch, harming our citizens - the police, mass media, justice, government, schools, utilities, & so on. The percentage of immigrants @ any one time in the US hasn't reached the percentages of the mass entries in the 1890s.

"Assimilation

"A 2018 study in the American Sociological Review found that within racial groups, most immigrants to the United States had fully assimilated within a span of 20 years.[197] Immigrants arriving in the United States after 1994 assimilate more rapidly than immigrants who arrived in previous periods.[197] Measuring assimilation can be difficult due to "ethnic attrition", which refers to when ancestors of migrants cease to self-identify with the nationality or ethnicity of their ancestors. This means that successful cases of assimilation will be underestimated. Research shows that ethnic attrition is sizable in Hispanic and Asian immigrant groups in the United States.[198][199] By taking account of ethnic attrition, the assimilation rate of Hispanics in the United States improves significantly.[198][200] A 2016 paper challenges the view that cultural differences are necessarily an obstacle to long-run economic performance of migrants. It finds that "first generation migrants seem to be less likely to success the more culturally distant they are, but this effect vanishes as time spent in the USA increases."[201] "

(My emphasis - more detail @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr..._United_States)

So no. The data seem to line up on the side of assimilation.

If we want faster assimilation of immigrants, we should probably put more money & attention on the public schools K-12. That's the main engine of assimilation, from what I see. Transitional bilingual education speeds English fluency - & I'd like to see long-term bilingual education as a way to maintain Spanish language fluency (Spanish because that seems to be the foreign language in use in much of the US - other languages should also be considered, if they're in sufficiently wide use too) & the cultures of the countries of origin in the US - but there doesn't seem to be much interest in that @ the moment.
Actually, the reason we aren't seeing assimilation today as we did in past is because we have allowed too many Latinos to come here both legally and illegally instead of the diversity in languages, ethnic groups and cultures of the past. That results in colonization not assimilation and yes it doesn't help that they are being pandered to in so many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies