Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times

Advertisements

Trump Signs Another Big Spending Bill With No Money For His Wall

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump quietly signed legislation on Friday that spends $853 billion on the Department of Defense and other federal agencies and zero dollars on his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The signature averts a partial government shutdown that would have taken place at midnight Monday had Trump vetoed the measure, as he has threatened to do for months if the Republican-led Congress failed to provide wall money.

“This shows the president to be a total wuss on the budget,” said Stan Collender, a longtime former staffer for both House and Senate budget committees.

In campaign rallies, Trump had repeatedly threatened to force a government shutdown if he did not get at least several billion dollars to start building a wall. On Sept. 20, two days after the Senate approved the latest spending package with a 93-7 vote, Trump wrote on Twitter: “I want to know, where is the money for Border Security and the WALL in this ridiculous Spending Bill, and where will it come from after the Midterms? Dems are obstructing Law Enforcement and Border Security. REPUBLICANS MUST FINALLY GET TOUGH!”

“This is the opposite of Teddy Roosevelt. Speak loudly and carry a small stick,” Collender laughed, adding that in future negotiations, congressional leaders will remember Trump’s failure to follow through on this threat. “The Hill doesn’t forget. They’re going to discount everything he says.”

Some of Trump’s supporters and informal advisers had been pushing him to veto the spending bill and force Congress to provide wall funding. They feared that his most enthusiastic supporters will sit out the midterm elections if they feel Trump has abandoned his first and most frequently repeated campaign promise.

“President Trump has made it clear he will not use his veto power to get his border wall,” said William Gheen, head of the hard-line group Americans for Legal Immigration. “He ramped up his rhetoric that he would veto spending bills that didn’t fund the wall, and here he is signing it.”

Trump signed the measure out of sight of the media. It was announced hours later in a press release that merely restates the bill’s dry, legislative summary. The bill provides a full year’s funding for the departments of Defense, Education, Labor and Health and Human Services, as well as funding through Dec. 7 for agencies not covered by this legislation or by a previous spending bill.

Trump promised from the day he began his campaign in June 2015 that he would build a “great wall” to end illegal immigration from Mexico.

“I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively,” Trump said in his Trump Tower announcement. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0343b3dc01d60

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what happened Republicans? You control both chambers of Congress yet you won't give him his wall.
Why not? Is it because he lied about Mexico paying for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,635 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Look for the funding battle post November. Meanwhile, huffpaint will warp your mind.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
He has been told that if he shuts down the government, repugs will pay dearly at election time.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Look for the funding battle post November. Meanwhile, huffpaint will warp your mind.
2 months averted shutdown
We were looking for the funding post-election to come from Mexico, remember?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Trump Signs Another Big Spending Bill With No Money For His Wall

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump quietly signed legislation on Friday that spends $853 billion on the Department of Defense and other federal agencies and zero dollars on his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The signature averts a partial government shutdown that would have taken place at midnight Monday had Trump vetoed the measure, as he has threatened to do for months if the Republican-led Congress failed to provide wall money.

“This shows the president to be a total wuss on the budget,†said Stan Collender, a longtime former staffer for both House and Senate budget committees.

In campaign rallies, Trump had repeatedly threatened to force a government shutdown if he did not get at least several billion dollars to start building a wall. On Sept. 20, two days after the Senate approved the latest spending package with a 93-7 vote, Trump wrote on Twitter: “I want to know, where is the money for Border Security and the WALL in this ridiculous Spending Bill, and where will it come from after the Midterms? Dems are obstructing Law Enforcement and Border Security. REPUBLICANS MUST FINALLY GET TOUGH!â€

“This is the opposite of Teddy Roosevelt. Speak loudly and carry a small stick,†Collender laughed, adding that in future negotiations, congressional leaders will remember Trump’s failure to follow through on this threat. “The Hill doesn’t forget. They’re going to discount everything he says.â€

Some of Trump’s supporters and informal advisers had been pushing him to veto the spending bill and force Congress to provide wall funding. They feared that his most enthusiastic supporters will sit out the midterm elections if they feel Trump has abandoned his first and most frequently repeated campaign promise.

“President Trump has made it clear he will not use his veto power to get his border wall,†said William Gheen, head of the hard-line group Americans for Legal Immigration. “He ramped up his rhetoric that he would veto spending bills that didn’t fund the wall, and here he is signing it.â€

Trump signed the measure out of sight of the media. It was announced hours later in a press release that merely restates the bill’s dry, legislative summary. The bill provides a full year’s funding for the departments of Defense, Education, Labor and Health and Human Services, as well as funding through Dec. 7 for agencies not covered by this legislation or by a previous spending bill.

Trump promised from the day he began his campaign in June 2015 that he would build a “great wall†to end illegal immigration from Mexico.

“I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively,†Trump said in his Trump Tower announcement. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.â€

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0343b3dc01d60

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what happened Republicans? You control both chambers of Congress yet you won't give him his wall.
Why not? Is it because he lied about Mexico paying for it?

How many times does it have to be repeated to you and yours that no legislation can pass congress without some Democrats on board. Also, not all Republicans in congress are behind Trump either. They have been bucking him just as most of the Democrats have. Trump has gotten some funds for the wall already and at least it's a start. He also has a plan (link posted) to make Mexico pay for it involuntarily. It's not Trump's wall anyway. It's the 700 mile long wall already approved by congress back in 2006. Why aren't you holding them accountable for not funding it?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
^^^ This was his campaign promise so he is the one who should be held accountable. He duped everyone who believed him on this issue.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
^^^ This was his campaign promise so he is the one who should be held accountable. He duped everyone who believed him on this issue.
He's been working feveriously to fulfill what congress promised back in 2006. It's congress that is to blame here. You don't want the wall built anyway so the flow of illegals will continue so why do you care anyway?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He's been working feveriously to fulfill what congress promised back in 2006. You don't want it built anyway so the flow of illegals will continue so what do you care anyway?
Is that what Trump lovers are going with to defend Trump's broken promise to have Mexico pay for the wall instead of increasing our deficit to pay for it?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:49 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is that what Trump lovers are going with to defend Trump's broken promise to have Mexico pay for the wall instead of increasing our deficit to pay for it?
When it comes to Trump, it is always the fault of other people, never his.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

There is no promise broken by Trump. The promise was broken by congress back in 2006. Trump is doing all he can to see that they fulfill their promise. It's ain't over till the fat lady sings. So you can't say any promises he has made have been broken yet. Trump never said that Mexico would write a check for it. Do I need to post the link again what his plan is? Doesn't matter anyway. The wall is well needed and is cost effective to the taxpayer. I'd gladly pay my fair share if I had to than the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens costs us not to mention the national security risks of a porous border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies