Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:44 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Republicans do care about that seat, and Manchin votes with the Dems quite a bit.

If Manchin wanted to solidify his position for the rest of his life, he would come out and switch parties, right now. He would then proceed to win in West Virginia by 30 points.
There is already a Republican on the ballot running against him. Maybe after the election if he squeaks through and wins. If he did it now he would more likely lose, because he would lose a lot more Dem votes than he might gain otherwise.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:44 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sen. Schumer on the senate floor talking about feelings.
What an embarrassment to continue to replace reason with emotion as a standard of fairness and substitute for the presumption of innocents.

When will the democrats see that the Mob rule they desire is rejected ? Vote !!!
The left almost always wins when it becomes about emotions, the conservatives almost always win when it becomes about logic or material facts.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think it's unhealthy to encourage or further enable people when they are delusional. So once again and for the final time, trying to portray Kavanaugh as an alcoholic is both ridiculous and delusional. Please stop. You're not helping yourself at all.
I would argue that Kavanaugh, by his own words, did not help himself at all. He likes to drink beer...a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0SwwyqhJMs

10,780 posts, read 4,353,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
They should move on from Kavanaugh. Would that mean Ford wins? In the eyes of most yes. But my reasoning is simply that this sort of investigation attempting to place an individual in the highest court of the land is so tarnished already that it's a no win situation. Would you as a business owner interview a person for a job, and then let it drag on this long and still hire the person? I wouldn't, just because of too many unanswered questions. There will be screaming from both sides no matter what the outcome is.
Ford is as good as dead.
That extra week destroyed her credibility (which she never had, but people were too scared to call her out).

Kavanaugh originally wasn't a popular pick, but he's endeared himself to Republicans because Democrats tried to destroy him, and he's become a powerful factor in the midterms.
Whereas Gorsuch was a popular pick, but was so easily confirmed that he didn't make a big impression on voters.
Kavanaugh has ignited the base (and that is not easy to do, as the party in power usually loses the midterms), and I think Democrats have disgraced themselves and lost some independent voters.

Its amazing that even when Ford was taken seriously, the polls showed Trump getting a huge bump.
Trump's RealClearPolitics averaged was 40.8 on September 18th.
By October 2nd his RealClearPolitics averaged jumped to 44.2!
Trump's RealClearPolitics average in a 2-way-race with Clinton, was 43.6 at the time of the 2016 election.

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So you agree that a full investigation was not done. What is the hurry with the GOP to properly vet someone who would be given a lifetime appointment in the highest court in the land?
They are wasting the Time of the United States of America. This is the most valuable time in the world.

I learned this from the people on the former Backpage. It's all about time... Can you make it count?

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
They should move on from Kavanaugh. Would that mean Ford wins? In the eyes of most yes. But my reasoning is simply that this sort of investigation attempting to place an individual in the highest court of the land is so tarnished already that it's a no win situation. Would you as a business owner interview a person for a job, and then let it drag on this long and still hire the person? I wouldn't, just because of too many unanswered questions. There will be screaming from both sides no matter what the outcome is.
"Look! We've slung mud at him and now he's all muddy! We can't have a muddy man on the highest court!"

Do you know what sort of standards that precedent would set?

3,614 posts, read 1,738,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You mean the investigation that Republicans Flake, Collins and Murkowski asked for?

And where was the investigation into Swetnick's claims?
Why wasn't Mark Judge subpoenaed to appear before the Senate committee?
What about Kavanaugh's college roommate and other witnesses who the FBI ignored?
What about Kavanaugh's perjury and coverup about what he did in the Bush administration?
I hope the FBI report is released. We don't know who was interviewed.

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sen. Schumer on the senate floor talking about feelings.
What an embarrassment to continue to replace reason with emotion as a standard of fairness and substitute for the presumption of innocents.

When will the democrats see that the Mob rule they desire is rejected ? Vote !!!
Concur. It was awful. I think he doesn't even believe himself at this point. As children, we are ruled by emotion but we grow up (well some do) and realize logic and reason are superior. He's pretty much suggesting we all act like children like he is doing. Um, no thanks.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
The left almost always wins when it becomes about emotions, the conservatives almost always win when it becomes about logic or material facts.
How many of you wanted to cry with Kavanaugh when he teared up about his 1980 calendar? Kind of like a show and tell back in the day.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:47 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,832 times
When I watched testimony live I felt Dr Ford's testimony compelling. My "immediate emotional response" was sounds like she has a story that is very believable. What I detested is the democratic senators saying "I believe you" They should have kept an open mind, looked for facts, heard both sides and looked for evidence that would suggest one side was more or less believable.

I went back and re watched the testimony. but this time I wanted to use a more logical approach. Dr Ford had extreme left lawyers that one was suggested by democratic senator. I am sure that they helped her with her prepared statement. they helped her choose certain words and not others, I am sure they had her practice it over and over and coached her of what points to pause , when to act emotional.
I used to be an interrogator was trained to use body language to help detect truth vs deception. When I rewatched the testimony I tried to apply Science to her testimony. I came away with a different opinion.

When I think of the holes in her testimony and the lack of evidence to support her accusations I am now in the camp where I feel her accusations are FALSE.
I know this is harsh because it does fly in the face of the fact that there is a problem in the country with women being abused physically , sexually and mentally. I know that many go unreported due to fear of not being believed. The third allegation from Swetnick seems completely unbelievable in light of it's extreme sensationalism and lack of support. So why would it be such a far fetch that Ford's could be False?

Do I think Ford was lying? NO! WHAT???? how can it be false and not be lying?

Research Elizabeth Loftus Psychologist.... watch her youtube videos regarding false memories. What I found interesting is that Dr Ford's first mention of the attack was during therapy. (which many legitimate claims initiate) however the whole "repressed memory theory" may be more of a false memory.

However, I didn't really like Kavanaugh's reaction , regardless of how angry he was. I came away thinking
"man , this is the best we could have come up with and nominated?" I think it's hypocritical for senators to say this because they were the ones to really falsely accuse him publicly so why be astonished that he vented his anger at them.

all should have been handled behind closed doors.

Sorry for the women who really were abused and feel that this diminishes their claims.... it shouldn't . She in all likelihood had something awful happen to her. It was courageous for her to come out and stand up. She should have had someone steer her in a better direction instead of being used as a political pawn. She is more of a victim here than she was then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies