Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
A larger picture - and a sane discussion - will acknowledge that the USA is no longer able to control the world.
I wasn't even talking about controlling the world. I was referring to some portion of the world attempting to control us.

Annihilate us? Sure, maybe. Control us? Never going to happen. Too many guns, too much ammo.

I couldn't care less what happens outside the borders of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:24 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,187,608 times
Quote:
One could say the same about opiates.....and both are killers of many that use them......

At least you can take opiates in the living room.
Opiates give people meaning? I'm not sure I understand your response.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
And the largest police force. Do you realize how rampant crime would be if guns were banned?

Old 10-04-2018, 12:37 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Disarmament of the populace would proceed at a rapid pace. Cold, dead fingers? No problem. Happy to oblige. They'll shoot your children too. Right in front of you.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:39 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL. Most of you desktop heroes would crap your britches and cry for your mommies when the first shots were fired. Without any communications, command structure, knowledge or training in small unit tactics you would be little more than a nuisance to a standing army.
That was pretty much my answer, only not nearly as polite. 10,000 men with rifles is not what makes an infantry division.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Opiates give people meaning? I'm not sure I understand your response.
Meaning - a number of things....

1. Recreationally they can be a hobby - just like target shooting. They can make you feel good - the same hormone that does when you shoot for fun......

2. They would be extremely valuable in a time of nuclear attack - for so many reasons. You could trade them for food, take them to help with the pain of your skin hanging off due to radiation, etc.

3. The use of opiates in the USA is off the charts for some of the same base reason the gun culture is...gives some meaning to life. Something to do. Makes me feel better. Makes me feel more in control. Makes me able to control some aspect of my life (I can avoid pain..or die...surely you know that most gun deaths are suicide?).......

I hope that helps. Personally, I'd rather have 5,000 oxys than 5,000 bullets after a couple nukes fell....I can see trading them for bread, etc. and surviving well.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I wasn't even talking about controlling the world. I was referring to some portion of the world attempting to control us.

Annihilate us? Sure, maybe. Control us? Never going to happen. Too many guns, too much ammo.

I couldn't care less what happens outside the borders of the United States.
Well, we agree on one thing.

It has often been phrased this way.....

When Fascism (or dictatorship or totalitarianism) comes to American it will be led by a cross and wrapped in a flag"....or something like that.

Some would say we are well on the way there. We have nothing to fear.....but ourselves. And that's a lot to fear and worthwhile of fearing. There are more unreasonable and uneducated Americans with strange beliefs and armed up...than exist in any other country. IMHO (and so far, according to stats) these people are a bigger threat to themselves and to other Americans than they are to some made-up foreign landing force....that isn't gonna happen.

The world already has us by the gonads. We have become the Bengladesh of the more advanced countries - companies from Europe know we work cheaper and longer for less. I wouldn't call that something to cheer about, but it is what it is. They are already getting what they want - cheap labor on one hand and consumers on the other. Then they invest in dollars and get financial security (relatively).

Why would they want to mess with their own Plantation?

Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
And the largest police force. Do you realize how rampant crime would be if guns were banned?
Guns are largely banned throughout Europe and Japan and they have much lower crime rates then the US. If guns made Americans safer we wouldn't have the highest homicide rate of all first would nations.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You feeling lucky?
Never said it would be me. The most lethal warrior I ever met was a middle aged, balding chubby guy with high blood pressure. He was nearsighted and wore a pocket protector and was really good at math.
He didn’t own a gun.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
I have read a number of Afghanistan and Iraq memoirs from grunts......my guess is that most people are not either:

1. Grunts who have truly been at one or both of those places - and been in action for a while.
or
2. Have read a number of real truthful memoirs (real memoirs don't look good...that is, they tell closer to the truth, which is very far away from anything we hear normally)....

One needs to remember that many of our military members were forced to fight in these conflicts.....National Guard who weren't supposed to be called up for such things were...and then repeatedly!

Just as in Vietnam, the smart grunt who was over there quickly realized they were not fighting ignorant people. They also realized winning was impossible. So they looked forward to getting out of there in one piece.

Not exactly a movie or a video game. The Real World is very different. We also had one of the largest Recessions of all time and the military increased bonuses to unheard of levels. High school kids were offerred more money in a lump sum than many people ever see in their entire lives (even 10 to 20K fits that description).

Standards were lowered and lawbreakers and/or offenders/druggies...as well as some of lesser intelligence (on the military tests) were accepted...they did this to fill the ranks.

Even now:
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...to-fill-ranks/

"The percentage of what the Army calls "high-quality" recruits—those who have high-school diplomas and who score in the upper 50th percentile on the Armed Forces' aptitude tests—has declined from 56.2 percent in 2005 to 44.6 percent in 2007."

No, I don't think these are the same people who are active in militias.....US Right Wing Militias are a tiny group and unlikely to enjoy having to be low on the totem pole to others in the real military.

Bottom line - a purely capitalistic society like ours has to spend TRILLIONS to keep people killing others. Without spending that money, it simply is not going to happen until landing craft hit the beaches at Atlantic City.....and that is not going to happen ever.

Therefore....the thread is a joke. In so many ways. Most gun owners in the USA would melt away without their thousands of dollars of heated outfits, vehicles and the ability to go home each night (or at least to a known solid structure).

I lived in the woods for three years in a surplus army tent - our luxuries were a wood pallet floor we eventually put in...oh, and an LP stove. No plumbing or electric of course. No A/C in hot southern weather.

Other than the very young (we did it in a "homesteading" fashion), most people simply would die or get sick in such conditions. You better take along a bunch of medics ready to amputate....heck, I almost lost a foot just from a little infection back then.

Again, the real world differs from storybooks. Or fantasies.
Keep reading bucko. No one in the US military is going up against someone in the US military. Get out of the mall buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies