Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:42 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
So....do you have a source for stats on how often?
Sources dont prove squat, especially when the system is corrupted in the first place. And especially when no one wants to admit when a mistake is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,117,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Sources dont prove squat, especially when the system is corrupted in the first place. And especially when no one wants to admit when a mistake is made.
So no proof given here by you then, I see, just assuming there is one.

Sources can be flawed, sure. But they're at least a start for this discussion vs. feeling there must be one and not backing it up whatsoever.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,386,069 times
A lot of women are claiming rape/sexual assault/sexual harassment but not naming actual perps. Some give half-stories while others simply say #metoo.

That's why I created the thread the other day about Ruth Bader Ginsburg claiming she had been sexually harassed by a science professor at Cornell in the early 1950s. I have a hard time with the half-stories from these women. It's a serious charge, a serious issue, and to create a cloud of uncertainty over a specific pool of men (even if most are dead at the time of the accusation) isn't fair to those who are still alive or their surviving families.

Perhaps worse yet are some of these half-stories in which the alleged victims indicate a bystander (either generically or by actual name) who was at the scene of the alleged crime or had other information that would be considered pertinent to the case.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,726,561 times
Rapists are generally repeat offenders and it's a catch and release crime since the criminal has no money and tons of debt. Prisons are not interested in holding poor criminals unless there is murder. That's why rapists are usually caught and then released. Many rapists also don't get prison time when the victim fails to appear in court in fear or shame.

This is why I don't believe most #Metoo because they have no shame and that only interested in the monetary damage. You don't see #Metoo complain about some poor basement boys that try to get on top of them at a party. Maybe once they become famous like becoming the supreme court nominee then they come out to complain.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
How come we read weekly of College boys being kicked out of schools just because they've been accused with absolutely no proof.

Colleges now assume your guilty and it's your responsibility to prove your not. This all started under Obama and will move into the business world next.

2,528 posts, read 1,658,893 times
"Other studies have figures in the same range. The FBI has put the number of "unfounded" rapes - those determined to be false after investigation - at 8%."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45565684

it's one out of 12.5.
For me it's an epidemic.

1,728 posts, read 3,127,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Thank you. My fb feed is making me mad. All the political people who would support any Trump pick are on this bandwagon against all women now and it makes me sick.

I'm beginning to have more loathing for people who worship Trump than I do Trump himself. They are like crazed. IDK what is going on.
It's a tragedy, Trump is as divisive as ever. First he divides us politically, then he divides us racially, now he's dividing us by gender.

I'm totally disgusted with the men on this board who are trying to justify why it's OK to suppress and ignore women who have been sexually assaulted while giving men a pass! Why would women come out in such a toxic environment?

THESE men are the reasons why so many women have not come forward about their own experiences with sexual assault.

No means NO! It doesn't mean 'It's ok because nobody will believe her anyway!'

Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A lot of women are claiming rape/sexual assault/sexual harassment but not naming actual perps. Some give half-stories while others simply say #metoo.

That's why I created the thread the other day about Ruth Bader Ginsburg claiming she had been sexually harassed by a science professor at Cornell in the early 1950s. I have a hard time with the half-stories from these women. It's a serious charge, a serious issue, and to create a cloud of uncertainty over a specific pool of men (even if most are dead at the time of the accusation) isn't fair to those who are still alive or their surviving families.

Perhaps worse yet are some of these half-stories in which the alleged victims indicate a bystander (either generically or by actual name) who was at the scene of the alleged crime or had other information that would be considered pertinent to the case.
I don't think I follow you. This is real: our chem prof was a perv. Everyone knew it. We went to talk to him in his office in packs to be safe. So if I say that now, not naming him, why is that bad? I'm just adding to the voices that are trying to make society understand what we deal with ALL THE TIME, EVERYWHERE.
#MeToo

Old 10-04-2018, 08:56 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,117,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
"Other studies have figures in the same range. The FBI has put the number of "unfounded" rapes - those determined to be false after investigation - at 8%."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45565684

it's one out of 12.5.
For me it's an epidemic.
....you stopped at the top of the article.

"The idea that lots of men are going to prison because they've been falsely accused of rape isn't supported by that study. (My note here: this might possibly refer to a different study in the article, but it still stands)

Moreover, official figures suggest the number of rapes and sexual assaults which are never reported or prosecuted far outweighs the number of men convicted of rape because of fake accusations.

Indeed it far outweighs the number of fake accusations, period.

Figures from the US Bureau of Justice Statistics suggest only 35% of all sexual assaults are even reported to the police."

Old 10-04-2018, 08:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
It's a tragedy, Trump is as divisive as ever. First he divides us politically, then he divides us racially, now he's dividing us by gender.

I'm totally disgusted with the men on this board who are trying to justify why it's OK to suppress and ignore women who have been sexually assaulted while giving men a pass! Why would women come out in such a toxic environment?

THESE men are the reasons why so many women have not come forward about their own experiences with sexual assault.

No means NO! It doesn't mean 'It's ok because nobody will believe her anyway!'
Trump isn't doing it. He doesn't have that power over people's minds. Trump SUPPORTERS are doing it. Not all, of course, but I'm real close to defriending every Trumpster on facebook including family who are this crazed worshiping at his feet.

I guess I will just unfollow them until this blows over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies