Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
And men all privileged rapist *******s too right?

#doublestandards
I don't know any rapists. Not the hubbs, not my brothers, not my dad, not my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I am a guy.

Hook-up culture is largely driven by young women. Just take a look at Snapchat and Instagram sometime; it's almost all half-naked girls trying to get with dudes left and right. If I was 15-20 years younger (I'm 39), It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel for me.
Do you really want that though? Isn't fishing in fresh air on a nice lake waiting for a good catch a better experience? If you don't catch a great fish maybe you need to hone your skills and become a better fisher-man which teaches patience and maturity. Besides if you eat the guppies from the barrel you might get worms.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I think sites that everyone knows is basically for hooking up is different than other dating sites. I've been on a couple of dating sites, didn't really have any luck. But I will say, there was one guy I was messaging with who complained about women only wanting to hook up. He then went on to say "You have really big boobs". Seriously. Bye!
Maybe if we can get through this storm of craziness dividing men and women, we can at some point treat each other with respect again. Certainly the internet did a lot of damage because I remember pre-internet dating, even with dating services and free supermarket dating ad magazines, men and women behaved much more respectfully. Unfortunately any dating site now is open game for people seeking hookups and it tainted the whole thing.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:12 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is not how she portrayed it, but no one knows what really happened there except for the two people present at the time. He had had accusations by others as well. The school didn't have to settle out of court it chose to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columb...ns_from_others

Here's the refresher.

Lol @ didn't have to settle.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Do you really want that though? Isn't fishing in fresh air on a nice lake waiting for a good catch a better experience? If you don't catch a great fish maybe you need to hone your skills and become a better fisher-man which teaches patience and maturity. Besides if you eat the guppies from the barrel you might get worms.
While it's not your (or my cup of tea), implying flaws in others for choosing this direction with their lives is a slippery slope. One of my best friends does this...and they're female and have no interest in kids, marriage etc.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:16 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While it's not your (or my cup of tea), implying flaws in others for choosing this direction with their lives is a slippery slope. One of my best friends does this...and they're female and have no interest in kids, marriage etc.
Que?

Old 10-09-2018, 01:39 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
You're in for a rude awakening.

'Herbivore men' are why nobody's having sex in Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbivore_men

With sex dolls and A.I. in the future, men will have no reason to associate with women anymore. Feminism has not only destroyed women, but has very nearly destroyed men as well.
In reality though there are men and women who love men and women and engage in loving relationships and then there are men and women who can not form relationships. For the latter sex dolls and A.I. will be a solution. The former will continue to form bonds with real humans. Some relationships will be successful and some will fail as has always been and will always be.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Que?
The other poster was using an analogy using fishing to comment on those that find long term companionship vs. those that roam about on Tinder or what not screwing strangers.

I have a female friend that does this, not something I'm a big fan of but it's each persons decision.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You think sexual harassment isn't systemic? Spoken like a male who can't believe in anything he hasn't personally experienced. As a woman I will tell you you are wrong.
First of all, I have no doubt that sexual harrassment is systemic in some places.

The thing is this. Sometimes, I wonder if some of these cases were nothing more than a misunderstanding. I'm speaking of course from personal experience.

Let's get one thing straight. I'm gay. Dated a couple girls back in my youth. Never touched any of them. Been with guys since my early 20s. Been married to my husband for 6 years.

A couple years back, I was given a few straight out of college engineers to train. A couple girls and a couple guys. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I have no doubt that I inadvertently did something. May be it was the time I took them out to lunch? One girl started avoiding me like the plague. Then someone told me she thought I was hitting on her.

Fearing for my job, I pulled her aside one day and showed her a picture of my husband. Sent her to another office the next day.

I must admit that this experience left me shaken. After that experience, I never stayed alone in a room with another woman.

So, it did leave me wondering if at least some of these accusations, especially years and decades after the incident, were nothing more than a misunderstanding?

Again, please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying all these cases are fabricated or misunderstandings. I'm just wondering in the back of my head if some resulted from misunderstanding. After all, if my actions as a gay dude could be misconstrued as unwanted sexual advancement on a young woman, how would a straight dude's action been interpreted as?

Edit.

I also want to add something. I know what it is like to be not believed and have others be hostile against me. My story of being accused of unwanted sexual advancement toward a female has been met with incredulous stares to outright hostility... from the liberal side. And I'm pretty darn liberal myself.

The response is usually something like "I'm gay and no woman ever accused me of blah blah blah".

So, yes, I do know what it is like for a woman to not experience something and not be believed.

Last edited by MetroWord; 10-10-2018 at 05:58 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 05:44 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I completely understand what you mean. I have a female friend that's been alone forever. She loves it. She works as a speech therapist for half a year and travel the world the other half. She always travels alone.

My husband and I definitely would go insane if either one of us had to go somewhere alone. We are both extroverts. My friend, on the other hand, is apparently very happy to travel alone.

Each person is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies