Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 03:06 PM

17,499 posts, read 9,319,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It helped. My questin still is why couldn't it work like a US consulate? You can't just walk in to present your papers. The guard at the gate could refuse your entry and you'd be standing on the soil of whatever country you are in. Even if you get in and apply for asylum, you're not going to spend the night on embassy grounds. You have to go back out, I would think.
The Guards at our Foreign Embassies are Local Soldiers -- odds are that they would never let a 1,000's of people storm a US Embassy (or any other Embassy) -- add to that, while we may own the building and the Land it sits on - it's not the same as US Soil across the Border from either Canada or Mexico.

Keep in mind -- the Ultimate Solution is to LOCK down all Official Entry Points - it's a common misconception that Border Patrol Agents are the authority and do interviews and examine Papers -- that is not the case - it is Border Customs Agents. They can just close the offices if they have to.
That is NOT what they want to do - it would do a lot of harm to both Mexico and the USA border -- but I think it is what they will do if all else fails. This is why Mexico is doing all they can to slow/stop the Caravans.

As for the Concertina Wire - about the only place you see it in the USA is on Prisons -- I always recognize it when I see it. They use it on some of the Border Fences in parts of California.

It is shipping FLAT - imagine a giant slinky - they pull it off the trucks and then stretch it out. It can be built up into a stack. Those "barbs" are not barbs -- they are razors. One coil is about 8ft in diameter - add a stack of three in a pyramid shape and more than double that. Fall in and you are trapped.

Throw a blanket over it?? It would take a LOT of blankets to cover the wires and there is nothing (including a blanket) to keep a body from falling into the middle of those razors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 03:19 PM

63,123 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post
Some blankets.

Any physical barrier can be overcome unless they are covered by armed troops. The only thing barriers accomplish is to keep the law abiding out or slow down those wanting to cross it. So, neither a wall nor wire will stop anyone unless guarded by troops with the ability to fire on those crossing.

This again? Really?

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/586853001/

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

Old 11-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Working hard is giving back to the community. And it's not like they're not buying stuff here. They will need food, clothes, gas, rent (shared, but they still pay), etc. How is sending money back home any different than someone saving money in a bank for example? Or investing in international money markets?

The homeland flag waving can seem curious at first, but think about it. Lots of cultures cling to their homeland flags, even after immigrating to the US. I see Italian flags on cars all the time. And ever hear of St. Patty's day, Cinco de Mayo, etc?

Who cares if they hang on to some artifacts of their culture? Why is that a bad thing? I can guarantee if you got a job assignment in Taiwan for example, you'd darn hanging onto as much of your American culture as you could. Of course you would, it's only natural. Ask anyone what their nationality is and they'll tell you. Why? Because despite moving half-way around the world, we still want that little anchor to remind us of whence we came.
Working hard does not excuse anyone for breaking the law and I'm speaking of illegal aliens not legal immigrants. The former costs us over $100 billion a year even including what taxes they pay and what they spend here. They do indeed send billions back to their homelands which is not spent in our economy. Your analogy falls short.

They can cling to some things in their culture while not waving their country's flags in our face. St. Patrick's Day is a none time even and so it Cinco de Mayo they aren't year around things.

My main problems are the jobs they take from Americans by working for less and reduced blue-collared wages, our overcrowded schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and the demographic transformation that is going on via illegal immigration and their anchor babies.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM

334 posts, read 228,516 times
Yes, again, really

Just because certain parts are harder, and thus avoided, does not counter my statement. If all the wall was equally hard, it would still be breached given time and no guards

Old 11-03-2018, 04:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,880,594 times
Default DHS: Caravan very violent, preparing molotov cocktails, pushing children to the front of line as shields

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/11/01/...s-fact-caravan

https://abcnews.go.com/International...story-58936974

They are not asylum seekers, they are criminals and welfare shoppers with the worst of intentions.

Can't say enough great things about President Trump's stance on illegal aliens and up to 15,000 troops is not an over-reaction. Many of these people in the caravan are armed and dangerous, worst of the worst in their home countries.

The reason why many have to leave their countries is because they career hard-core gang members.

Seems to be criminals and pregnant women who want to deliver a baby so they can cash in on America welfare.

So glad that President Trump is sending up to 15,000 troops to defend America if the need arises from this violent caravan.

None of what President Trump is doing is political, it is all about keeping the country from terrorists and keeping the worst of the worst of these countries.

Many of the members of the caravan sound so bad these countries don't even want them there.

Much of the caravan has robbery and aggravated assault with deadly weapon histories.

There is also Somalia, India, Haiti, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh in the caravan.

If one caravan after and another comes in, many of our cities will be in the same position as Hondurus and El Salvador.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 11-03-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-03-2018, 04:44 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,158,378 times
Maybe it's just that Trump supporters have made me very skeptical, but I think there's a difference between a foreign official saying there are Molotov cocktails, and a reputable reporter or American military on the ground actually seeing that.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:46 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,729,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Maybe it's just that Trump supporters have made me very skeptical, but I think there's a difference between a foreign official saying there are Molotov cocktails, and a reputable reporter or American military on the ground actually seeing that.
i.e. "I know it's probably true, but I don't like to admit it, so I'll make up BS about it instead".

Old 11-03-2018, 04:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,611,096 times
Quote:
How much money would you like to donate to the illegals?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Um, one report is from Homeland Security.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,709,971 times
Quote:
Get the Grand Pad out and look for a video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies