Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 09:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
They're not eligible to cross the border without a passport and visa, either; doesn't stop them from crossing.
And that doesn't mean they get food stamps either. Glad we could agree.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Illegal immigrants declare themselves not subject to the jurisdiction of US law by crossing the border without proper documentation, in violation of immigration laws, and, when caught, by failing to appear for their court dates.
Oh? You can “declare” yourself not subject to jurisdiction and you’re good? Well you’ve unveiled a whole new area of law. I’m willing to bet a lot of criminals will be excited to hear about this. Must they do it in writing or will shouting into the open sky suffice?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They might do differently now because now we have a President who has the bulls to call for action regardless of how much the media and establishment will wail and whine, one who is not kow-towing to his adversaries and trying to be "liked", and will call it out for what it is.
Maybe but I don't think Trump's concern about immigration is real, I think he's real good at feeling the pulse of the public and I think he saw that as an issue that appeals to people, but I don't think his heart's in it and I'm not sure he will ever do much about it.
Quote:
So anything else besides the one issue - E-verify? Are Dems in support of that? Why didn't that happen in 2009? When I speak of liberals fighting against every solution that would decrease illegal immigration I'm talking about the party and the movement as a whole not any one person. And I support E-verify too. It's a wide complex problem that will require solutions on many fronts.
Unfortunately I can't speak for all democrats, most of my friends are in favor of it. I don't know anyone who is in favor of illegal immigration, no one. I know we (collectively) get accused of that but it's just not true. I was a manager at a large entertainment/restaurant complex in the early 80's. Over the course of a few months all of our landscape crew was fired and replaced with illegals bused in from Mexico, I was so angry about it that I I called everyone I could to report them and absolutely nothing happened to them, when nothing happened I quit my job I just couldn't stomach what they did.
Quote:
Btw, you can't put "employers" in jail because corporations are legal entities not physical human ones. Oh I guess you could put managers of the employers in jail. You'd come to that pesky point of innocent until proven guilty and having to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and in most cases the illegals are providing forged id to the employers.
It's not easy but you can put employees of a corporation in jail and there are already laws on the books that allows for criminal sanctions for hiring illegals but it's absurdly weak and requires repeated violations. And there is more we can do, maybe no government contracts of procurement of goods or services for repeat offenders, I'm sure we could get creative enough to make them understand it's serious if we got serious about it.
Quote:
Don't jobsite raids hurt employers? It shuts down operations and takes away their trained workforce.
It doesn't hurt them bad enough, that's obvious because if they really felt much pain they would stop hiring illegals.
Quote:
But let's say we enact E-verify and it is effective. Unable to find jobs, how will the illegals eat? Will they self-deport or will they turn to crime?
Good question. To avoid that I would not want current employees subjected to e-verify, let them keep their current job, that would avoid having huge numbers of unemployed illegal people stuck here all at one time. But once they quit that job and try to get another one, then they have to go through e-verify. They will go home, not all at once but over time they will leave. But more importantly it will cut off the pipeline of new people continually coming here, there might be a few stragglers who enter the country to be with family but there won't be large numbers of people coming here because there would be no motive for them to do so.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Oh? You can “declare” yourself not subject to jurisdiction and you’re good? Well you’ve unveiled a whole new area of law. I’m willing to bet a lot of criminals will be excited to hear about this. Must they do it in writing or will shouting into the open sky suffice?

Their actions are sufficient.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And that doesn't mean they get food stamps either. Glad we could agree.

We do not agree. The Center for Immigration Studies does not agree with your position, either.

"In 10 of the 20 comparisons, illegal immigrant households have higher welfare use than native households with the same education; and in five of the 20 comparisons native use is higher than immigrant use. Illegal immigrant use of welfare is very high for food programs and Medicaid, while use of other programs is much more modest." https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-L...ant-Households

Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
We do not agree. The Center for Immigration Studies does not agree with your position, either.
"In 10 of the 20 comparisons, illegal immigrant households have higher welfare use than native households with the same education; and in five of the 20 comparisons native use is higher than immigrant use. Illegal immigrant use of welfare is very high for food programs and Medicaid, while use of other programs is much more modest." https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-L...ant-Households
That article discusses legal and illegal immigrants in the same article and while I didn't read the entire thing, it doesn't look like they pointed out something that is very important - no illegal alien can receive SNAP benefits, or TANF, or subsidized housing, however their citizen children are eligible for benefits, just like any other citizen.

Illegal aliens are not eligible for any benefits except for emergency room treatment. A few states allow undocumented immigrant children to receive medicaid, the last time I checked there were 6 states that allowed that, and I believe all states use emergency medicaid funds to reimburse hospitals for the cost of delivering the babies of illegal immigrants.

I didn't source this because this information is readily available online and it's not hard to look it up if you have any questions

Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
If you want it changed, or redefined, there is a process for that, and it sure ain't posting on the internet. Oh yeah.... and it's NOT an EO.

It might well be an EO. The Dream Act wasn't possible by an EO, until it was.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:53 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,840 times
Quote:
Dude, we are doing it, that's how we are upholding the law. All your talk doesn't change how the we view births on American soil. Do you know how funny it is for people on the internet to decide the laws we have and how we enforce them are not really how the laws were intended? You can bash your head against the wall from now until the cows come home.... and still, someone born here is considered a citizen.

If you want it changed, or redefined, there is a process for that, and it sure ain't posting on the internet.

Oh yeah.... and it's NOT an EO.
Yes, activist judge to pervert an amendment meant to deal with slaves and their offspring.

Well, I think it is time for a co-equal branch of government to undo the damage by setting aside the ruling.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:19 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Nobody can make a case for birthright citizenship being good for the Nation. Nobody wants it either and nobody would have been against this, save for some illegals and their families or wannabes, except that TRUMP SAID IT and some people are so invested in him being the super villain in their lives that they pretzel themselves into thinking up is down rather than admit he's right.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody can make a case for birthright citizenship being good for the Nation. Nobody wants it either and nobody would have been against this, save for some illegals and their families or wannabes, except that TRUMP SAID IT and some people are so invested in him being the super villain in their lives that they pretzel themselves into thinking up is down rather than admit he's right.
Yeah true . Years of brainwashing from the media and the liberal politicians that have a vested interest in making Trump look bad.
So many ignorant people that hate Trump but can’t even articulate a reason why. They are lemmings that just listen to whatever the talking head idiots on CNN or other outlets spout .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies