Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
All you need now is for the motorcycle gangs of America, Antifa and the Klan to turn up.
Well, I'm up late and had some wine, so I'm sure my sense of humor is skewed, but I'm laughing because DH meets almost all of your groups: he rides a harley, I JUST told him today he looks like a white supremacist (totally not), but can't quite tie in the antifa.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:32 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
About 200 members of the Militia groups are currently guarding the Texas border. Militia groups, heavily armed organizations that train members in paramilitary techniques ― often are right-wing extremist organizations. 100 members of the Texas Minutemen are headed to the Rio Grande now. They traveled to the border, stoked by fears that dangerous illegal immigrants are coming to invade the country. With the caravan, large numbers of trained military, and untrained armed militia combined with a powder keg of explosive emotions, what can possibly go wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/armed-mil...kk9fowQb7r3gY4

"often are right-wing extremist organizations."

Which means OFTEN they are NOT right-wing extremist organizations.

We KNOW many like YOU would NEVER attempt to defend YOU family in YOUR house, you would make a phone call and HOPE the police, which you deride all the time, will come BEFORE anything bad happens.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This is going to end interestingly.

Most of the militia types I have met were loose canons.

What could go wrong?

"Most of the militia types I have met"

Why are you hanging around so many?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They endanger our military, which I don't like.

When you're a professional, the last thing you want is a bunch of untrained wannabees running around with guns.
"the last thing you want is a bunch of untrained..."

How do YOU know they Are UNTRAINED?

Do you PERSONALLY KNOW every single one of them and what training they have or not have?

Sounds like someone mouthing off WITHOUT knowledge of the particular subject to me.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. The professional military is handling the border situation. I'm all for the right to bear arms, but mixing one military with the other military is a recipe for disaster.
"The professional military is handling the border situation"

Really? I didn't know the Military WA doing that job.

I thought it was the Border Patrol which is part of the INS, which is NOT part of our military.

"but mixing one military with the other military is a recipe for disaster."

Right!

WE should STOP the Air force from working with the Marines when the Marines call in an air strike.

We should STOP the SEALS from getting info from the Air Force via satellites.

The Army, Navy and Air force should NEVER work together.

Etc, etc, etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:15 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why dont they ask for asylum while they are still in their home country.
Why dont they accept asylum from Mexico?
I think there has to be an established 'refugee' program in their home country (requesting asylum from the home country is similar to requesting asylum once you get to a US Port of Entry, I believe). We don't have a refugee program from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala or any of those other countries. We granted temporary protected status (TPS) to Honduras, El Sal, Nicaragua, whose programs are being terminated. We still offer TPS to other countries. Syrian, Yemen, one of the Sudans, maybe Haiti still, etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
So when they do commit a crime the hysteria you seem to promote may become relevant.
Meanwhile hundreds of members of these militia groups have been patrolling the border for years at the request of private property owners with very few incidents relative to the number of crossers they discouraged. They have more experience working with border patrol than the military does, and many or most are ex military themselves so will know how to interact professionally with military forces.
Risky at best....it is their right to do this and your appraisal of the situation is your own opinion-your description of the President's actions as "bellicosity" revealing such bias its impossible to take that appraisal as arrived at objectively.
I wouldnt be surprised to find many of you WANT your predictions of doom to become reality, just another reason to hate on Trump.
Two years ago you people were assuring the world Trump would ruin America and despite your claims that he has or would, things have been running smoothly. No new wars, the economy continues an upswing.... no civil unrest though threats of same repeated by leftists.
I am sure all that is frustrating.
"You people"? "I'M provoking hysteria"...WTF?? Meanwhile hundreds of these militia have not been patrolling the border for years....do your research. They show up from time to time when the news bites stoke them, they then get bored and go home, wash, rinse, repeat.

You can stop attributing your shotgunning, kitchen sink, memes to all and sundry debating just the topic line.

A reminder; the topic is "unregulated militia" as in just any citizen joining a bunch of other like minded individuals. There's no guarantee they have military training. Nor is there guarantee they have LEO experience...anyone can mix in with them, anyone.

And property owners who actually request them are far outnumbered by those who want nothing to do with private citizens with firearms patrolling their property because they would become liable if just one of them does something to make them culpable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.9c6a61486d26

Finally consider this:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-admin...troops-1196855

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/01/u-...g-for-for.html

Professionalism....hardly: excerpted from link.

"Several landowners in the area said they do not want the militias around."

"The (military) assessment estimates that 200 militia members could show up. “They operate under the guise of citizen patrols,” the report said, while warning of “incidents of unregulated militias stealing National Guard equipment during deployments.”

"The heir to the state’s largest and most influential ranch said he thinks the militias could pose a threat of their own. Stephen J. “Tio” Kleberg, who has lived most of his life on the 825,000-acre King Ranch outside of Kingsville, said he will allow federal and state law enforcement and the military onto his property, which is larger than the state of Rhode Island, but he won’t let private militia beyond the gates.

“I don’t think they have a governing body,” he said. “They are independent and not authorized by anybody. It could lead to individuals taking action without someone in authority supervising. I think that could be dangerous."

Seems the military and a lot of landowners ARE concerned enough to consider them a threat on a par with the approaching migrants.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-07-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"You people"? "I'M provoking hysteria"...WTF?? Meanwhile hundreds of these militia have not been patrolling the border for years....do your research. They show up from time to time when the news bites stoke them, they then get bored and go home, wash, rinse, repeat.

You can stop attributing your shotgunning, kitchen sink, memes to all and sundry debating just the topic line.

A reminder; the topic is "unregulated militia" as in just any citizen joining a bunch of other like minded individuals. There's no guarantee they have military training. Nor is there guarantee they have LEO experience...anyone can mix in with them, anyone.

And property owners who actually request them are far outnumbered by those who want nothing to do with private citizens with firearms patrolling their property because they would become liable if just one of them does something to make them culpable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.9c6a61486d26

Finally consider this:

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/01/u-...g-for-for.html

Professionalism....hardly: excerpted from link.

"The assessment estimates that 200 militia members could show up. “They operate under the guise of citizen patrols,” the report said, while warning of “incidents of unregulated militias stealing National Guard equipment during deployments.”

Seems the military IS concerned enough to consider them a threat on a par with the approaching migrants.
As a Canadian, you are really exposing an overall ignorance of the day to day affairs of a border you live thousands of miles and a country away from. Shocking!

Your obsession with our country, and insistence that you somehow know more than the natives who live here is amusing.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 11-07-2018 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 06:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
As a Canadian, you are [i]really]/i] exposing an overall ignorance of the day to day affairs of a border you live thousands of miles and a country away from. Shocking!

Your obsession with our country, and insistence that you somehow know more than the natives who live here is amusing.
As a Canadian we've been down this road before you and I. I may (please note the word used) have spent more time in the Rio Grande Valley than yourself. All told added up, about 3 years worth.

My obsession with your country, as you put it, is no greater than anyone else sharing a border with it. I'm debating, as are others, simply the title of the thread topic. I'm not purporting to know more; I'm agreeing with a significant portion of them. The ignorance exposed is not mine.

Now, do yourself a service and go back and read what the "natives who actually live there" are actually saying as regards the "unregulated militias".

Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As a Canadian we've been down this road before you and I. I may (please note the word used) have spent more time in the Rio Grande Valley than yourself. All told added up, about 3 years worth.

My obsession with your country, as you put it, is no greater than anyone else sharing a border with it. I'm debating, as are others, simply the title of the thread topic. The ignorance exposed is not mine.

Now, do yourself a service and go back and read what the "natives who actually live there" are actually saying as regards the "unregulated militias".
My family has been Texas residents for well over 100 years. My grandfather was born in Texas in 1900. My father was born in Texas in 1930. I have family with large ranchlands on the border, and I have a family member employed by the CBP down in Falfurrias. Their combined experience and wisdom is more relevant and valued than the words of a snarky Canadian from Ontario, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies