Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 02:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,991,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You folks keep saying that. However the only thing I can find in the reports is a statement by the spokes person for the State Police that he was legally armed.
He was legally allowed to OWN a gun, he was not legally allowed to CARRY THE GUN IN PUBLIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. Neither one matters.

First, there were apparently police already on scene who already understood the facts of the situation and themselves tried to stop the late-coming cop from firing.

Second, there is no point at this time in postulating whether the bar had a sign--that's not relevant to the idea that police should intelligently assess the situation before firing their guns.

Third, a good many legal concealed gun owners fully intend to be "the good guy with the gun" when things like this happen (I'm not one of them--my gun is to cover my and my wife's retreat as we get the hell out of Dodge). They won't be official security guards or off-duty police.
While I respect your opinion, and your intent for having a CCL, I'll just have to respectfully disagree that those two factors could and should come into play for a cop entering the scene. Not saying its 100% the driving factor, but it should be a consideration to come into play.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:25 PM

78,546 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Just a little trip down memory lane.

A few years ago Chicago Police shot unarmed Laquan McDonald over a dozen times, lied about him coming at them etc. and paid off his family with millions of dollars.

Finally got exposed and charges were brought something like 2 years later.

Chicago's mayor didn't even have to resign.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Quote:
TepLimey,

It's the same phenomenon we see in the case of the Dallas man who was killed in his apartment by a police officer who went through the wrong door. The police quickly got a warrant to search that man's apartment and then claimed there was a small amount of marijuana in his apartment.

What difference did that make?

It makes the victim a "criminal," and a lot of people--such as you see right in this thread--have the opinion that whenever police kill a "criminal," the facts of how it happened are irrelevant...a "criminal" is dead, and that's always a good thing.
The lady cop was charged. It could be she will beat the charge but likely they will nail her with something.

And the apartment was the scene of the shooting and therefore had to be fully processed.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
While I respect your opinion, and your intent for having a CCL, I'll just have to respectfully disagree that those two factors could and should come into play for a cop entering the scene. Not saying its 100% the driving factor, but it should be a consideration to come into play.
Oh, you do not believe police should intelligently assess the situation before firing their weapons?

You actually disagree with that premise?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Oh, you do not believe police should intelligently assess the situation before firing their weapons?

You actually disagree with that premise?
No, thats the exact opposite of what I'm saying.

I believe that knowing if a building has a no-guns policy, and knowing if they hire security with ccl permits SHOULD be part of their intelligent thought process.

I used to work somewhere that hired off-duty officers for security. They carried, and it wasn't even a place that in my opinion needed security, but I also know for a fact that on duty officers in that area knew that there were off duty cops who were armed at this location.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Quote:
I must be missing this, or mis-reading something, do you have a quote with a link?
Yes - i Am not at good place to dig it out. If you want it quick search on the spokes persons name.
Starts with an A.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
According to the spokes person for the state police he was legally carrying. He did not have a concealed carry permit but the weapon was obviously not concealed.

And anyway that would all appear irrelevant to the shooting. At worst a technical violation.
Quote:
Yes - i Am not at good place to dig it out. If you want it quick search on the spokes persons name.
Starts with an A.
I guess I'll just wait for you to find it because this completely contradicts what you are saying and its from a spokes person for the county police:

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multipl...ng-police-say/

Quote:
A spokeswoman for the Cook County Sheriff's Office said Roberson had a valid FOID card, but did not have a concealed-carry license.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,395,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The other thread on Jemel Roberson is clogged up with fluff.

Let's hear it. What do conservatives and the NRA think about the Jemel Roberson case?
Not a conservative (I'm an anarchist) but...

1. The NRA is a liberal Marxist organization that is hell-bent on restricting private property rights. A violation of the Non-Aggression Principle.

2. Roberson is a classic case of a public policing failure...much like the case of Richard Black this past summer in Colorado. Private policing is the only sane, moral, and logical choice.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...31578?v=railb&

3. Race had nothing to do with it as government studies show there is no anti-Black disparity in fatal shootings.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=sppa

That was easy. Any other questions?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:49 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,141,135 times
Quote:
I don't know, that was never my position, and I don't even see what you are trying to get at here.

He was killed while taking a huge legal risk, he saved lives, but did so recklessly. There are no winners in this scenario.
What Im trying to get at is that this guy had a gun to do a job, and he took down people that were about to commit another mass shooting in a bar. This is what the pro-2a people have been saying in terms of PREVENTING mass shootings, is a good guy with a gun. More guns on the street.

He was there, took down the would be shooter, and was killed before the police even found out whether or not he was legally carrying. He could have been legally carrying and probably would have been killed by a wreckless cop.

So because he had a gun to be the good guy in this situation, but didnt have the CCL permit, is he no longer the "good guy with a gun" that the 2A advocates say this country needs to prevent mass shootings?
Is this what you guys use to avoid defending him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies