Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
First of all, this is hypothetical. None of us know if any college admission process has taken this photo into consideration. TBH, it would be hard to do so. How many college admission staffers will recognize their names during the application process? How many of us even know their names?

But your attitude and lust to see them punished this way is what I'm commenting on. It's an attitude of a low person.
No, it's the attitude of a mother of growing young men who wants to make sure her sons are good members of society and don't do stupid crap to hurt their futures.

If these were my kids, I'd be saying the same thing. I constantly preach to them about their social media presence and how to behave in public. I would be a bad mother if I didn't.

Respect, accountability, humility, acceptance of consequences. These are the things that mold young men into the leaders of tomorrow.

NOT protecting them from the consequences of their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So, do you feel the same way about scholarships for Nation of Islam members?
Yup.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And again.....

If it were a private school, you'd be correct.

But when the school accepts public funding.....that's a different story.
That's not true.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You see no difference in a parent disciplining their kids and some in this thread attempting to ruin these kids lives and taking joy in their punishment or endorsing reprisals such as denying them.college admission?

Really?
Oh of course there's a difference. But it's important that we parents impart the knowledge of consequences into our young men and women. Colleges and employers have the right to say, "Nope. We're not interested." That's the way of the world and trying to shield kids from such consequences only breeds entitlement.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So far it seems they’re to never get into college or have any meaningful employment. But the kid who robbed a convenience store is to have his record expunged at 18, which I agree with btw. People have no sense of proportion, or the fact that teenage boys have long been known to make stupid and rash decisions sometimes.
Oh dear.

I've never said they would "never get into college." What I did say is many colleges would reject admission of applicants based on the actions of these boys. And that is the right of the colleges to do so. That is just a fact. A hard fact, but a fact nonetheless.

Regarding your curious analogy of 18 year old robbers, we just think a felony shouldn't automatically disqualify them from scholarships, financial aid, etc. It's not a carte blanche admission to any college of one's choice. It is still up to the individual colleges to choose who attends.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, it's the attitude of a mother of growing young men who wants to make sure her sons are good members of society and don't do stupid crap to hurt their futures.
No it's not. You have been giddy at the idea of these boys being denied college admission. This is not about you simply telling your own kids not to do Nazi-esque salutes to save their futures. You have some kind of perverse joy in this.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
I've never said they would "never get into college." What I did say is many colleges would reject admission of applicants based on the actions of these boys. And that is the right of the colleges to do so. That is just a fact. A hard fact, but a fact nonetheless.
It's not a fact. It's a claim you made, and somehow your claim became a fact? Is that how it works?

Old 11-16-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
No it's not. You have been giddy at the idea of these boys being denied college admission. This is not about you simply telling your own kids not to do Nazi-esque salutes to save their futures. You have some kind of perverse joy in this.
No, I have a very strict mentality when it comes to natural consequences. Whether it's my own kids or other kids. I don't shield them from natural consequences of their own actions. Case in point: younger son refused to do his homework for an entire quarter. Teacher's punishment was to disallow him from participating in a fun day at his school. He had to sit in the library instead. Sucks, right? But he deserved it. He knew the consequences and chose what happened to him.

I'm not a helicopter mom who thinks her precious babies are immune to the consequences of others.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
It's not a fact. It's a claim you made, and somehow your claim became a fact? Is that how it works?
It is a fact because it's happened. I posted several examples pages ago. I'm still waiting for you to shore up your disagreement with something concrete.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Oh dear.

Regarding your curious analogy of 18 year old robbers, we just think a felony shouldn't automatically disqualify them from scholarships, financial aid, etc. It's not a carte blanche admission to any college of one's choice. It is still up to the individual colleges to choose who attends.
My analogy was of 16 or 17 year old robbers who get their records wiped clean when they reach adulthood, because we recognize that teenagers don’t often make smart or good choices in life. But here you are wishing future ruin for kids who may have thought they were being rebellious or just joking around for a second. They didn’t steal or commit violence. They raised their hand in a stupid gesture that as teenagers they probably don’t really understand. Knowing it is a Hitler salute is not the same as recognizing what Hitler really did to people.

I’m all for concentration camp survivors being invited to the school to speak in an assembly about what happened to them. That would be a lot more powerful than denying them a future and actually pushing them towards a hate group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies