Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times

Advertisements

Maybe we can just send Trump one of these playsets and then go work on more feasible solutions.

https://fox8.com/2018/11/14/maga-bui...uild-the-wall/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
No, it's just not agreeing with the solution you think needs to happen. I have pointed out that supposed problems that proponents say would be fixed by the Wall wouldnt be, actually. And people do act like the Wall is the only way. Failing to acknowledge that is disingenuous.
I never said that the wall was the only solution---and you know it, too.

To deny that border walls work is disingenuous---especially after pointing out that they, indeed, do work and not everybody sneaking across the border is just looking for work. It's very naive to think otherwise.

Do you lock your doors and windows when you are not home? If you say "yes", then why? After all, if anyone wants to get into your place, they will find a way. That's the argument you're making about the wall after all.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I never said that the wall was the only solution---and you know it, too.

To deny that border walls work is disingenuous---especially after pointing out that they, indeed, do work and not everybody sneaking across the border is just looking for work. It's very naive to think otherwise.

Do you lock your doors and windows when you are not home? If you say "yes", then why? After all, if anyone wants to get into your place, they will find a way. That's the argument you're making about the wall after all.
Sigh. I see we are not going to agree on the best methods and I am tired of going in circles. Walls like Trump has said we should do are different than fences (which ironically, sounds like what this contract actually is for with the talk of fence posts. Mexico still isnt paying for it. Most drugs are not coming that way. You havent provided info on how much human trafficking actually potentially happens and that the wall is the best way to mitigate that. Etc.

This is more like building a big tall wall and placing a moat inside around your house instead of doing more cost effective and reasonable solutions.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 AM

Why should I have to prove it when it comes to trafficking minors across the border? You know how to google, correct?

If you can get past the paywall, read this sad story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/n...he-border.html

What decent parent just hands their kid to a total stranger to be brought hundreds of miles and sneaked into the US? Many of these kids are raped by the coyotes.

There are stories about kids who were brought into this country by adults who weren't their parents. Remember when you and your ilk were whining about kids supposedly being held in cages by the BP? Do you even know why that happened? It happened because these kids were taken from the adults because the kids were being trafficked. You didn't know any of this?

If the wall saves even one child from being trafficked, then it is well worth it. In reality, it will save untold numbers of them from such a fate.

Once again---walls do work. I'm sorry that you don't like that fact. Just admit it---you don't care if the border is wide open. After all, you've ignored the fact that the San Diego/Tijuana border wall has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crime. You've also ignored the fact that the BP is stretched thin.

Do you care about the environment? If so, did you know that illegals have dumped tons of trash (some of it really toxic) on fragile desert eco-systems?

Finally, google The Minutemen. When they were active, they volunteered to keep vigil on the border. There were many residents who told them they were grateful to them because with them there, they were able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in years.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Why should I have to prove it when it comes to trafficking minors across the border? You know how to google, correct?

If you can get past the paywall, read this sad story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/n...he-border.html

What decent parent just hands their kid to a total stranger to be brought hundreds of miles and sneaked into the US? Many of these kids are raped by the coyotes.

There are stories about kids who were brought into this country by adults who weren't their parents. Remember when you and your ilk were whining about kids supposedly being held in cages by the BP? Do you even know why that happened? It happened because these kids were taken from the adults because the kids were being trafficked. You didn't know any of this?

If the wall saves even one child from being trafficked, then it is well worth it. In reality, it will save untold numbers of them from such a fate.

Once again---walls do work. I'm sorry that you don't like that fact. Just admit it---you don't care if the border is wide open. After all, you've ignored the fact that the San Diego/Tijuana border wall has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crime. You've also ignored the fact that the BP is stretched thin.

Do you care about the environment? If so, did you know that illegals have dumped tons of trash (some of it really toxic) on fragile desert eco-systems?

Finally, google The Minutemen. When they were active, they volunteered to keep vigil on the border. There were many residents who told them they were grateful to them because with them there, they were able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in years.
You were the one who said it was needed to counter trafficking, so supporting your argument is prudent.

Again, I also questioned if this was the only/and or best way to mitigate that. I have mentioned all sorts of other things I would like to see done (including fences and more Border Patrol or other surveillance perhaps....maybe drones could help see people?) to help battle all these different associated problems, but apparently it can't possibly be enough if it's not The Wall and you must actually want open borders, which is a goofy and false premise. See why it starts sounding like The One True Wall? It's hyperbole rooted in reality.

Cant admit what isn't true, sorry, and putting words in my mouth and assuming won't make it so.

What is my ilk? I dont remember posting anything about that, though I may have and am forgetting. Are you assuming I am liberal (as if they are a monolith anyways) or what? (Spoiler alert....not a liberal. Even happened to mostly vote Republican in the midterm election. I didnt do the whole ballot though).

Last edited by latimeria; 11-15-2018 at 01:28 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 AM

All those things you mention are NOT enough. E-verify being the law of the land won't stop those who come here to do harm. Putting a stop to the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco won't stop illegals from coming across the border. It won't stop drug mules---and yes, illegals have been caught with drugs on them.

The wall is necessary.

If you truly cared about border security, then you would realize that the wall is a necessary component in the fight against illegal immigration. The more you say you're vehemently opposed to it, the more you sound like you're promoting open borders.

Take the time to do some research and read up on how those who live on the US side of the border are negatively impacted by illegal immigration. Look at photos of the tons of trash illegals have deposited on fragile desert eco-systems.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 AM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
145M for 6 miles means $24M per mile. With 1954 miles of border wall needed,
As already pointed out, the border has natural and man-made barriers already in place so no, 1954 miles of wall is not needed.

Ask the border patrol who find corpses every year from those who die of heat exhaustion if there needs to be a wall in some of the most inhospitable areas to ever exist.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
All those things you mention are NOT enough. E-verify being the law of the land won't stop those who come here to do harm. Putting a stop to the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco won't stop illegals from coming across the border. It won't stop drug mules---and yes, illegals have been caught with drugs on them.

The wall is necessary.

If you truly cared about border security, then you would realize that the wall is a necessary component in the fight against illegal immigration. The more you say you're vehemently opposed to it, the more you sound like you're promoting open borders.
In your opinion. Still a false dichotomy. Also assuming I haven't done any research or lived in areas affected by this. Mmm hmm.

I wonder if this act by a R Congressman got anywhere. His opinion article discussing it has an apt title: We need a smart border wall, not a 3rd century solution https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/539618001/

Ah, drugs as an argument for the wall again, when the vast majority actually comes by boat and the wall won't really do much about that. Fight that first. Take care of overstays first. So many other things first besides The Wall as the main focus (not ignoring the border, just being more sensible in approaches including how that is handled), then reassess and see how much of a problem it is. Not stop, reassess and see.

To use the house analogy, put in the more sensible fence and security systems first, not leap to the towering wall and moat solution as the only way to REALLY make sure it's fixed and any other ideas mean you really just want to leave the door unlocked and run Facebook ads saying you did so.

But I'm betting you'll chime back in with Open Bordersssssss so it's useless to try to explain any further. Have a good evening.

Last edited by latimeria; 11-15-2018 at 02:59 AM..

Old 11-15-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
In your opinion. Still a false dichotomy. Also assuming I haven't done any research or lived in areas affected by this. Mmm hmm.

I wonder if this act by a R Congressman got anywhere. His opinion article discussing it has an apt title: We need a smart border wall, not a 3rd century solution https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/539618001/

Ah, drugs as an argument for the wall again, when the vast majority actually comes by boat and the wall won't really do much about that. Fight that first. Take care of overstays first. So many other things first besides The Wall as the main focus (not ignoring the border, just being more sensible in approaches including how that is handled), then reassess and see how much of a problem it is. Not stop, reassess and see.

To use the house analogy, put in the more sensible fence and security systems first, not leap to the towering wall and moat solution as the only way to REALLY make sure it's fixed and any other ideas mean you really just want to leave the door unlocked and run Facebook ads saying you did so.

But I'm betting you'll chime back in with Open Bordersssssss so it's useless to try to explain any further. Have a good evening.
You'll never get it and refuse to do your own research. Why is that? Are you afraid of what you might find? That what I've posted about what life is like for people who live on the border and how illegals destroy fragile desert-eco systems is, indeed, true? That walls have been proven to be successful in drastically cutting down on crime and illegal crossings? That not every illegal is sneaking in here to work?

All those things you claim to want can work in conjunction with a wall. Once again, a wall is a necessary component when fighting illegal immigration.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As already pointed out, the border has natural and man-made barriers already in place so no, 1954 miles of wall is not needed.

Ask the border patrol who find corpses every year from those who die of heat exhaustion if there needs to be a wall in some of the most inhospitable areas to ever exist.
^^^^Well said! Some refuse to get it as it doesn't fit their narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies