Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:55 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... we'd only be chasing drug dealers, then. Instead, we are faced with drug cartels AND honest people who want to NOT starve to death the same way. And the drug dealers usually don't get caught.

Honest people? Honest people don't break laws, steal SS numbers, evade taxes and take from others what doesn't belong to them! Most of these illegals aren't starving anyway and Americans have families to feed also but find it difficult when illegal aliens take their jobs by working for less ( in cahoots with their greedy employers) and cost American families over $100 billion year in taxes. I cannot understand how anyone prioritizes illegal aliens over their own fellow citizens. It's despicable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 02:59 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
AzCentral rated the over $100 billion a year claim as mostly false.
https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/691997002

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed

Old 11-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
O.G. unless the wall traverses the entire border it will just move the problem to another part of the country.

That's the point!!! Put the wall on the 700 miles of the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress and they will have to try and enter at more dangerous and difficult areas. Fewer will try and fewer will succeed!!! The Border Patrol can focus more of their efforts in those areas. Geesh!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:07 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
$145 MILLION dollars for a 6 mile fence.

Imagine if $145 million went towards improving veterans rehab facilities or helping homeless vets get training.

But nah, let's use over a hundred million dollars to build six miles of fence....either forcing the illegals to find a way over it, or walk a few miles east or west to find somewhere else to cross.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why are the visa overstays still here?
What makes you think those apprehended are not still here?
So just ignore the thousands-hundred thousands that are not apprehended?

It's call deflection away from the border jumpers. No one has ever said we don't also need to deal with the visa over stayer problem. Yeah, that's what these people think we should do. Just ignore the border jumpers and only focus only the visa over stayers. WTH? Just how ignorant is that? We still have plenty of illegals jumping our border every day and now there's a caravan on it's way of thousands all at once whom most don't meet the criteria for asylum and like in the past will try to enter our border illegally anyway.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:19 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Honest people? Honest people don't break laws, steal SS numbers, evade taxes and take from others what doesn't belong to them! Most of these illegals aren't starving anyway and Americans have families to feed also but find it difficult when illegal aliens take their jobs by working for less ( in cahoots with their greedy employers) and cost American families over $100 billion year in taxes. I cannot understand how anyone prioritizes illegal aliens over their own fellow citizens. It's despicable!
No one does. But Trump's stupid wall idea is unrealistic. I doubt even he thought he would try fulfilling that promise when he said it. It just sounded good to him, so out the pie hole the idea came. And once again, that $100 billion figure is a wild exaggeration. I'm not sure where you're getting it, but it isn't the truth.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I don't support illegal immigration.
I use E-verify for all my hires, so I do a lot more than most people who rail about immigration, and way more than any fence is going to do.

I applaud you for doing so but you are being very naĂŻve if you think that jobs are the only thing that bring illegal aliens here, thus the wall. Better to deter as many of them at the border with a good wall than to allow them to get in here where they are much harder to weed out and more expensive to do so.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's call deflection away from the border jumpers. No one has ever said we don't also need to deal with the visa over stayer problem. Yeah, that's what these people think we should do. Just ignore the border jumpers and only focus only the visa over stayers. WTH? Just how ignorant is that? We still have plenty of illegals jumping our border every day and now there's a caravan on it's way of thousands all at once whom most don't meet the criteria for asylum and like in the past will try to enter our border illegally anyway.
I will answer, even though OG put me on ignore before haha.

Focus on the overstayers (which doesnt mean we fling open the border or anything) FIRST because data is showing that is where the problem is growing as the border crossing already shrinks. Throwing so much at The Wall™ first instead is not fiscally sound. Also use methods like eVerify and the problem will drastically shrink to where other methods like regular fences and Border Patrol will be sufficient.

Change for the birthright policy may be in order, sure, though a big Hell No through Executive Order. It's something for Congress to do.

The Wall also won't really stop drugs, either. ""[Now] well over 95% of the drugs are moving on the water via container ships, non-commercial vessels, pleasure boats, sail boats, fishing boats. They also have fast boats which try to outrun our law enforcement assets."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34934574

"President Donald Trump says his wall at the U.S.-Mexico border will help stem the flow of illegal drugs into the United States. There’s one problem with the plan: The drugs coming into the U.S. Northeast often arrive by plane, boat, or hidden in vehicles, according to an intelligence report by the Drug Enforcement Administration."

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/29...l-report-says/

Pretending people against the Wall want open borders or are completely ignoring the border is disingenuous. But many seem to be blindly stuck on the need for a Wall and ignoring the reality of the situation these days.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No one does. But Trump's stupid wall idea is unrealistic. I doubt even he thought he would try fulfilling that promise when he said it. It just sounded good to him, so out the pie hole the idea came. And once again, that $100 billion figure is a wild exaggeration. I'm not sure where you're getting it, but it isn't the truth.
You've been in this forum long enough to have read the links I have provided proving that the good walls do work and are cost effective so why are you repeating your same old nonsense over and over again and playing dumb? It's not Trump's stupid wall! It's congress' wall that was passed in 2006 but not built or funded.

Once again, no the $100 billion figure is not an exaggeration. My link has provided its sources. Provide something to the contrary from a viable source that disproves those figures then. I'll wait. Besides, shouldn't your main objection be that they are entering our country illegally, many using fake or stolen SS numbers to work or working for cash evading taxes? Those are felonies!!! I guess them taking American jobs, resources, overcrowding our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods is of no concern to you either? Our number one concern as loyal Americans aside from their fiscal costs should be that they are breaking our laws and that's really the bottom line thing that should stop any American from defending these people. Why are you doing that?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is where I believe the over 100 billion figure comes from.

https://fairus.org/issue/publication...ates-taxpayers

And here is Cato's rebuttal showing some of the flaws they saw in how that report arrived there.

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies