Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:13 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The wall, indeed, is "fiscal efficiency". You really are for open borders if you don't support a wall. Don't try to dance around that.

The BP can't watch every part of the border every second of every day. I've told this story before---I guess you never saw it. Some years back, our daughter and son-in-law went to a BP hiring fair. The agent they talked to didn't mince words. They were told that if they were hired, they would be put on the graveyard shift and would be the only agent around for 70 miles. If they needed backup, none would be coming anytime soon.

No one is saying that visa overstays aren't a problem. And, yes, they need to be dealt with. And, yes, the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco needs to end.

Once again for the umpteenth time --- The wall Bill Clinton had built on the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crimes. In light of that, anyone who says they don't want the 700 mile wall, is disingenuous when they claim they are NOT for open borders.

Good grief! You still don't get it. We can do E-verify being the law of the land. We can better track visa overstays. We can put a stop to the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. All that will NOT stop those who sneak across the border with the intent of doing harm or traffic minors.
Shrug, you can keep focusing on the lesser problem first if you want. And fences are different than The Wall, of course. Doesnt mean I want open borders, no matter how much people try to claim non-Wall supporters do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 07:40 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Shrug, you can keep focusing on the lesser problem first if you want. And fences are different than The Wall, of course. Doesnt mean I want open borders, no matter how much people try to claim non-Wall supporters do.
So, then you aren't bothered that people who want to do harm and those who are involved in the trafficking of minors will still be sneaking across the border. Did you just say that such problems are "lesser problems"? Wow...that's really despicable

Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So, then you aren't bothered that people who want to do harm and those who are involved in the trafficking of minors will still be sneaking across the border. Did you just say that such problems are "lesser problems"? Wow...that's really despicable
Lesser problem as in focusing first where people are actually coming in these days, but way to twist words. And I never said totally ignore the border. Notice I mentioned fences, even, and add in some Border Patrol. Just not The Wall as proposed since it is overkill and doesnt really address everything people says it will.

Do you have any stats on how often that is actually happening? Other measures to counter that, that have tried and failed? For example, people keep talking about how we need it to keep drugs out, but actual data shows that the vast majority comes by boat, so a big beefy wall wont solve it.

Gah, so many focused on the Wall as the Only One True Solution that we must leap to do before everything else, without truly considering the complexity and scope of it all.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Just saw Reps. Scalise and McCarthy on the Ingraham Angle saying they have seven bills to finish in December and one will be wall funding.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
The wall, indeed, is "fiscal efficiency". You really are for open borders if you don't support a wall. Don't try to dance around that.

The BP can't watch every part of the border every second of every day. I've told this story before---I guess you never saw it. Some years back, our daughter and son-in-law went to a BP hiring fair. The agent they talked to didn't mince words. They were told that if they were hired, they would be put on the graveyard shift and would be the only agent around for 70 miles. If they needed backup, none would be coming anytime soon.

No one is saying that visa overstays aren't a problem. And, yes, they need to be dealt with. And, yes, the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco needs to end.

Once again for the umpteenth time --- The wall Bill Clinton had built on the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crimes. In light of that, anyone who says they don't want the 700 mile wall, is disingenuous when they claim they are NOT for open borders.

Good grief! You still don't get it. We can do E-verify being the law of the land. We can better track visa overstays. We can put a stop to the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. All that will NOT stop those who sneak across the border with the intent of doing harm or traffic minors.
Just because you claim anyone who doesn’t support the wall is “open borders” doesn’t make it so. Relying on a transparent logical fallacy? What an unintelligent way to advance an argument.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Just saw Reps. Scalise and McCarthy on the Ingraham Angle saying they have seven bills to finish in December and one will be wall funding.
Good luck to them getting it through the Democratic filibuster in the Senate. Actually, they probably don’t even have the votes to get it through the House.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Good luck to them getting it through the Democratic filibuster in the Senate. Actually, they probably don’t even have the votes to get it through the House.
Agree. Not a chance

Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Lesser problem as in focusing first where people are actually coming in these days, but way to twist words. And I never said totally ignore the border. Notice I mentioned fences, even, and add in some Border Patrol. Just not The Wall as proposed since it is overkill and doesnt really address everything people says it will.

Do you have any stats on how often that is actually happening? Other measures to counter that, that have tried and failed? For example, people keep talking about how we need it to keep drugs out, but actual data shows that the vast majority comes by boat, so a big beefy wall wont solve it.

Gah, so many focused on the Wall as the Only One True Solution that we must leap to do before everything else, without truly considering the complexity and scope of it all.
I've explained how the wall that Bill Clinton had built on the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings.

I've also explained that the BP is stretched very thin.

Also, I, as well as others, pointed out that the wall will cover 700 miles. There won't be a continual wall from San Diego to Brownsville. That's because many parts of the border are impassable.

No one said that the wall is "the one true solution"--- and you know it, too. However, walls do work.

If you and others keep making excuses for not wanting the wall, then you aren't sincere when you say you don't wall illegal immigration. Having few or no walls is tantamount to having open borders, no matter how you try to spin it.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...xas-11-14-2018

The Left assured us this wall was never going to happen. Yet here we are with 2 contracts awarded and construction to begin in February

Good to see I no longer have to depend on “hope and change” to see results.
145M for 6 miles means $24M per mile. With 1954 miles of border wall needed, it's going to cost us at minimum 46B to build the entire border wall. And this doesn't include the untold cost of litigation over the private and tribal lands and purchase of them via eminent domain. At the pace we're going, this border won't be finished before the Orange Buffoon keels over....

And when are we sending a bill to Mexico again?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I've explained how the wall that Bill Clinton had built on the San Diego/Tijuana border has drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings.

I've also explained that the BP is stretched very thin.

Also, I, as well as others, pointed out that the wall will cover 700 miles. There won't be a continual wall from San Diego to Brownsville. That's because many parts of the border are impassable.

No one said that the wall is "the one true solution"--- and you know it, too. However, walls do work.

If you and others keep making excuses for not wanting the wall, then you aren't sincere when you say you don't wall illegal immigration. Having few or no walls is tantamount to having open borders, no matter how you try to spin it.
No, it's just not agreeing with the solution you think needs to happen. I have pointed out that supposed problems that proponents say would be fixed by the Wall wouldnt be, actually. And people do act like the Wall is the only way. Failing to acknowledge that is disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies