Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 07:07 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Be glad that you don’t come into any money or get a better job or a good pay raise. I know someone who came into money at the end of the year(December). She had to pay more than $10,000 in federal taxes to repay the subsidies. This year will be the third year she is paying off her federal taxes, interest and penalties.
That happened to my friend with 3 kids. They own their own company, and it made more money than she thought it would. She has to pay 17000 in taxes because of it. She went to figure out a new policy with her current income of 90,000 a year and it was 3,000 ish a month with a 5000 dollar deductible. Funny if it wasn't so sad. They racked up debt starting a business and can't afford to pay that much so she is now without insurance. Of course, this is in Arizona with over a 100% increase.

I guess if you make 50 thousand or under it's awesome if you make over that or have a dual income middle class family it sucks! Literally, sucks all your money away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:07 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Wonderful !!! If you get hit by a truck you've got it made.
It only cost you a dollar and everyone else much more.
I've paid in to the system my whole life. And I'm glad I was able to do so. And I'm still doing so.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I've paid in nearly $100k over the past four years, in addition to the significant increases in my premiums. How do I make a withdraw?

Isn't it obvious? Sign up for the far better than the ACA plan Trump put in place soon after he took office!

Oh!

Wait!

That was just another line of campaign BS!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Please reread my posts.... actually read them and comprehend.

Irresponsibility is "rolling the dice" on other people's dime by making the specific decision to go without insurance because it cut into your disposable income too much. Or the idea that nothing bad will happen to you.... and if so... just show up and not pay. I just pointed a poster (same as another thread) that makes $97-100k a year household income and chooses to go without insurance because he felt he would rather have a nicer home or pay off the current faster.... then in turn blames everyone else.

All the things you posted are what is wrong with the system... two different things.
Funny you say that when it's a profit system. It's not like it's a non-profit system like other countries, and they cap costs and regulate this crap industry.

It's like saying everyone has to buy their furniture at Target. Targets happy because they all have to go there, and they can raise the cost of tv's all they want so that their profits go up even though they gave poor people free TVs. It's ridiculous. It will never end. Obamacare is far from responsible. It's robbing Peter which is only middle class at best to pay Paul.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We're going into our 4th year of the ACA, and I'm extremely grateful too. I remember back in the 80s and 90s when we couldn't afford health insurance except for catastrophic.
Just remember that someone else is helping you pay for it!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Isn't it obvious? Sign up for the far better than the ACA plan Trump put in place soon after he took office!

Oh!

Wait!

That was just another line of campaign BS!
It was, and it's just another big disappointment! It seems neither party knows how to take care of this country. Dems and Repubs when polled just want some affordable fricken healthcare. I guess that's a NO.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:29 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Funny you say that when it's a profit system. It's not like it's a non-profit system like other countries, and they cap costs and regulate this crap industry.

It's like saying everyone has to buy their furniture at Target. Targets happy because they all have to go there, and they can raise the cost of tv's all they want so that their profits go up even though they gave poor people free TVs. It's ridiculous. It will never end. Obamacare is far from responsible. It's robbing Peter which is only middle class at best to pay Paul.
Irrelevant to this thread. Understand the difference between insurance and service providers. Your analogy is also inaccurate for the same reason. Your statement "Obamacare is far from responsible" is also simply an opinion.

What I am saying is going without insurance (not necessarily Obamacare) at all is irresponsible....

Old 12-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Just remember that someone else is helping you pay for it!
When you drive and get involved in an accident accruing liability... remember someone else helped pay for it.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yes.

The issue here is that health care system cannot turn anyone away for trauma or immediate life threatening conditions. This is the only private business that is not allowed to deny service under such situations.

As such, it is our responsibility to provide the means to cover the cost... If we demand services from a hospital then we should make insurance mandatory.

For the same reasons that a Police officer or Fire department aren't allowed to deny services... as such they are guaranteed paid/covered costs through tax payer dollars. Paying taxes is mandatory.

If we as a nation want health care insurance to be optional, then we must also accept the idea that hospital services are also based on ability to pay. Just like any other private business, services shouldn't be provided if one cannot pay or show ability to pay via insurance. People, irresponsible people, will be up a creek without paddle.

What we have currently is mandatory health care but optional insurance.... the incentive is to cheat the hospitals and get services for free.... avoiding paying the cost of health care insurance.
Exceptions to the rule:

Fire Subscription Services: A Legal and Moral Conundrum
"Today, most rural areas continue to struggle with this funding problem, and we are attempting to find creative ways to solve this problem. It does not look like we have progressed much since the days of the fire mark, and even the insurance companies have stopped paying for these services."

Arizona Firefighters Charge Family Nearly $20,000 After Home Burns Down
"Justin Purcell said he was shocked by the bill and did not understand why he was receiving it, considering he and other local residents pay a fire district assistance tax to help fund volunteer fire departments. However, that tax, he soon learned, does not cover Rural Metro Fire Department because it is an independent agency."

This (government plan) began with a tax collected for Social Security (retirement plan) and Medicare (health care in retirement years). What else do we want the federal government to (tax) mandate its citizens to purchase before we say they've gone to far into our earnings? I'm just curious if there is a stopping point anytime in the near future.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It was, and it's just another big disappointment! It seems neither party knows how to take care of this country. Dems and Repubs when polled just want some affordable fricken healthcare. I guess that's a NO.
This I agree.

Both parties are current ill-equipped to handle/solve the situation. Until then more and more of our income will be going to health care insurance which at its core is a bandaid/stop gap for the real problems of our health care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies