Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 01:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why should animals be viewed as medical/psychological necessities?
I'm assuming you can reference cases where people have died from not having their pet goat sitting next to them in public venues or at least research proving animals are medically necessary for what disorder exactly?
If they really are medical / psychological necessities, they can get a properly trained service dog.

Anything less than that is pure b.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If they really are medical / psychological necessities, they can get a properly trained service dog.

Anything less than that is pure b.s.
Exactly.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:35 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Obviously there's a great deal of disdain for "emotional support animals" on flights.

Is there equal disdain for ESAs out in the public, in general?

I take my dog (an adorable, elderly and well-behaved Sheltie) with me to church. Not only is she absolutely silent, but it's a comfort to both her and me to be together. Incredibly, a lone soul at the church complained about "that woman who sits in the back with a dog." And yet several congregants told me, "I didn't even know you had a dog with you until I saw you walk out the door!"

BTW, it requires a doctor's note (in Virginia) to have a dog become an ESA.

ESA's don't have de facto legal right to access public places like restaurants, libraries and the like. I know I didn't like seeing the 3 instances I've been witness to of several dogs riding around in shopping carts in Walmart's grocery section and one of our local supermarkets. If they were service dogs that would be a direct violation of ADA policy. If they are ESA's they have no legal right to be there, period.

A church is a private organization, so if they want to allow it, that's one thing. I have huge problems, OTOH, with management turing a blind eye to dogs in the carts. The last time I saw one, the cashier supervising the self-checkout (and she comes across as mentally not being all there to start with), was over asking the customer if she could pet the dog, etc. Had I been in her shoes, I would have been asking the two ADA-allowed questions, and informing the customer that, whatever the dog's role is, that he has to remove it from the shopping cart immediately.

If I do see that again, I will be contacting Corporate.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Walmart is also a private organization.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:42 PM

16,553 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Dog gone it, I will not be able to take my support baby rhino on my next Delta flight now. What will I do if I am triggered by the thousands of scary and upsetting things that plague my world?

`

Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Wal mart is going to ban animals , too. The only animals allowed in the stores will be service animals. Therapy animals will not be allowed .
Therapy animals are not used by individuals. They are brought into places like schools, hospitals or nursing homes to provide comfort for the general population served by those places. They have NO public right to access until it is granted by the facility.

Also, therapy animals have to be certified for good behavior. ESA's do not.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

It also sells food, so health and sanitation laws apply.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It also sells food, so health and sanitation laws apply.
Just pointing out it is a private organization, because the post due it's comparison to a church, made it like it was not.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So they don't have to follow laws?

Read this and you'll see emotional support dogs shouldn't even be in the store, let alone the shopping carts!

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/laws...ore-60614.html

Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So they don't have to follow laws?

Read this and you'll see emotional support dogs shouldn't even be in the store, let alone the shopping carts!

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/laws...ore-60614.html

Where did I claim that? Please show me, thank you.

See my post above, replied regarding poster calling a church a private organization, but inferring walmart was not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies