Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:59 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think life itself is a balancing art,

I believe bible study benefits everybody, even for people who are not religious. Religious knowledge—knowledge about religions and religious cultures—is a powerful resource to use throughout the rest of your life. Let’s face it: religion is one of the most powerful social and cultural forces in human history. It has wreaked havoc and devastating carnage through time and around the world. It has also been a source of profound comfort and good in the world. Religion is everywhere and always integral to human cultures. And learning about religions and religious cultures will contribute to the moral, intellectual, emotional, and yes even spiritual self-knowledge of students in this most critical time of development.

This said, public school is public school. Not offering bible study is not a big deal. No one should force the kids to attend a bible study.
Bible studies are interesting, I have read the Bible through twice. I taught Bible classes. I have also studied most other religions. None of them belong in public school. How would Christians feel if Buddhism was taught in public schools? Or one of the Islamic variations?

Old 12-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I do think teaching Bible as literature is a great idea, in the public school.

If you don't know what a Good Samaritan is, what an organization called Noah's Ark is likely to be, what parting of the waters means, what walk on water means, what the wisdom of Solomon means, what David and Goliath refers to, what manna from heaven is, what loaves and fishes refers to, what "my cross to bear" means, what let those who are without sin cast the first stone means, what the 10 Commandments are, what a Doubting Thomas is, the story of Samson and Delilah, whither thou goest I too shall go, what a Judas kiss is, I could go on like this all day, then you aren't culturally literate. And that's what education is for. To make you literate.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Irrelevant how many different sects there are; One Jesus/God, One Bible. You need to stop repeating yourself everytime about this 40,000 different sects.

Yes, your glad now that children won’t learn about showing love and compassion.
Hundreds of versions and endless interpretations of the Bible.

Showing love and compassion is not limited to Christians.

No shortage of people embrace a culture of victimhood to justify their hate/ lack of tolerance for others and some of them are Christian.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:05 AM

1,261 posts, read 568,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Bible studies are interesting, I have read the Bible through twice. I taught Bible classes. I have also studied most other religions. None of them belong in public school. How would Christians feel if Buddhism was taught in public schools? Or one of the Islamic variations?
Children should be educated about every world religion of course. No Christians would oppose that. I would love to teach our children how silly Hinduism is that they worship cows, and how lovely and peaceful Muhammad was

Old 12-23-2018, 11:05 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I do think teaching Bible as literature is a great idea, in the public school.

If you don't know what a Good Samaritan is, what an organization called Noah's Ark is likely to be, what parting of the waters means, what walk on water means, what the wisdom of Solomon means, what David and Goliath refers to, what manna from heaven is, what loaves and fishes refers to, what "my cross to bear" means, what let those who are without sin cast the first stone means, what the 10 Commandments are, what a Doubting Thomas is, the story of Samson and Delilah, whither thou goest I too shall go, what a Judas kiss is, I could go on like this all day, then you aren't culturally literate. And that's what education is for. To make you literate.
Shouldn't it be taught correctly, though? Look at Christmas...Magi does not mean king, it was short for magician/entertainer. No where does it say there were three of them. The churches teach a lot of stuff that is not in there.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:06 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Yep.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

Quote:

If I lived in a country predominantly Islamic, and was born and raised there, I would want my children to know the basic tenets and traditions. So they're not clueless.

I have a cousin I really love, and he is agnostic/atheist and raised his 4 kids that way. When they were teens, there was a family wedding in a church, and the congregation said the Lord's Prayer at one point in the ceremony. These kids, who could mop the floor with you in scrabble and can't even name how many countries they've visited, were standing there open mouthed to see they were the only ones in the entire hundreds of people who did not know this prayer.

I could see the shock on their faces. There was a lot of information they didn't know that every single person in the room besides them did.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't it be taught correctly, though? Look at Christmas...Magi does not mean king, it was short for magician/entertainer. No where does it say there were three of them. The churches teach a lot of stuff that is not in there.
As far as I know, Magi means priest.

If you want to teach the Bible correctly, then certainly, enroll in an excellent Bible study.

If you want kids to be literate, and know what Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh mean, well, IMHO that's appropriate in a literate class in high school.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Constitution does not only apply to minorities. Why should the majority have to suffer for few individuals? They should move to communist China where they practice official state atheism.
Suffer? Most reasonable folk would define it as freedom.

Nothing prevents anyone from bible study at the appropriate time/ place which is not a public institution or most private work places.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:14 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the results in society by catering to these atheists haters. 60% divorce rate. Single parents and high crime. It’s time they shut the hell up and let the adults take back over.
Crime is not up: 5 facts about crime in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

And the divorce rate tells you little. You think most marriages were happy and successful before divorce was more common? LoL

This is a reflection that marriage is kind of a terrible idea for many people, and they should rethink it. The concept of marriage is at odds with many biological realities, and THAT fact has more to do with its common failure than "atheism".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies