Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 12:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Catholics have a different interpretation of the Bible than others.
How so?

Old 12-23-2018, 12:04 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's ironic in a way, because the Christian fundamentalist insisting that G-d is angry with me ALSO said that the G-d of the OT is an angry G-d, and that the G-d of the NT is loving. How then, I wonder, could G-d be angry with me?

(Of course, to Jews, there is no such thing as an OT G-d and a NT G-d.)
And to Animists, all things have a soul.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:05 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
That’s what happens when you have an evil mother.. she should have the daughter taken away from her for child abuse teaching her immortality!

Let me guess, this fine specimen would be Mother of the Year in your world?

Old 12-23-2018, 12:07 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Christians being hypocrites again...

Until God speaks for himself, they can have the hypocrisy!

Old 12-23-2018, 12:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As a Christian, I do believe bible study should not be forced in public school.

However, it is absurd to think teaching religion = backward

Giving students the tools to better understand the complex and powerful roles that religions play in human experience has the potential to help mitigate bigotry based on misrepresentation, while simultaneously enhancing empathy and understanding across differences of all kinds. In our current climate of extreme partisanship (a climate that today's students experience as "normal"), we need all the empathy and understanding we can muster.

Religion is a major source of inspiration, meaning, and controversy in human culture, informing history, politics, economics, art, and literature. It rivals trade as a major trans-national force across the globe. One cannot hope to understand world history and literature — or current events like Middle East politics, the recent insurgencies in Thailand, the genocide in Sudan, or US presidential elections — without knowledge of religion. Debates over science and religion, as well as religion and law, are often front-page news. Throughout history, inquiry into religions has inspired and troubled artists, musicians, filmmakers, and writers — including T.S. Eliot, Dante, Toni Morrison, Tagore, Tupac Shakur, Euripides, Rumi, William Blake, Margaret Mead, John Updike, Tolstoy, Leonard Bernstein, John Coltraine, George Lucas, Einstein, Gandhi — among countless others. Religious ritual and belief are also among the most powerful forces uniting past and present, shaping memory and identity from generation to generation, and across millenia.

Just to be clear, the article referenced is not about a History of Religion course. It is a Christian bible study class taught by a cleric in public school. It is the latter that has no place in a public school.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:09 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
I wonder how many other books students would be able to "study" in school if they included all the sexual content that the bible includes?

My guess would be about zero.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I wonder how many other books students would be able to "study" in school if they included all the sexual content that the bible includes?

Don't forget God slaughtering anyone who doesn't believe, men, women and children.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I know!!

I had to teach the David and Bathsheba story to middle schoolers.

Between David trying to get her husband to have sex with Bathsheba so he'd think the baby was his, to David first falling in love with her while watching her bathe after her period (so it's clear she was not pregnant when King David met her) sheesh the blushing.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:20 PM

What about the Catholics deciding that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute? It does not say that in the Bible.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:29 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the results in society by catering to these atheists haters. 60% divorce rate. Single parents and high crime. It’s time they shut the hell up and let the adults take back over.

Of course you supply nothing factual indicating those divorces are among and/or caused by anything to do with atheists. Your point would be WHAT? What evidence do you have teaching the Bible in public schools would change anything?

Last edited by burdell; 12-23-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies