Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:29 AM

1,300 posts, read 961,376 times

Advertisements

West Virginia still a backwards place it seems. Religious classes have no place in a public school. The time wasted in that class is time lost learning something real and useful

Old 12-23-2018, 11:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
That’s what happens when you have an evil mother.. she should have the daughter taken away from her for child abuse teaching her immortality!
If not being sarcastic, what do you think President Trump as a Christian has been teaching kids?

Old 12-23-2018, 11:35 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Constitution does not only apply to minorities. Why should the majority have to suffer for few individuals? They should move to communist China where they practice official state atheism.
Of course the Constitution applies to the minority. In fact, we have it to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority - and people who think like you.

Also, how are Christians suffering? By having an Asian restaurant open Vhristmas Eve for those who don't practice Christianity?

I'm starting to think you're just a troll. Nobody could be this hateful and then have "love" as part of his moniker. Yoire just trying to make Christians look bad.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:35 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
West Virginia still a backwards place it seems. Religious classes have no place in a public school. The time wasted in that class is time lost learning something real and useful
As a Christian, I do believe bible study should not be forced in public school.

However, it is absurd to think teaching religion = backward

Giving students the tools to better understand the complex and powerful roles that religions play in human experience has the potential to help mitigate bigotry based on misrepresentation, while simultaneously enhancing empathy and understanding across differences of all kinds. In our current climate of extreme partisanship (a climate that today's students experience as "normal"), we need all the empathy and understanding we can muster.

Religion is a major source of inspiration, meaning, and controversy in human culture, informing history, politics, economics, art, and literature. It rivals trade as a major trans-national force across the globe. One cannot hope to understand world history and literature — or current events like Middle East politics, the recent insurgencies in Thailand, the genocide in Sudan, or US presidential elections — without knowledge of religion. Debates over science and religion, as well as religion and law, are often front-page news. Throughout history, inquiry into religions has inspired and troubled artists, musicians, filmmakers, and writers — including T.S. Eliot, Dante, Toni Morrison, Tagore, Tupac Shakur, Euripides, Rumi, William Blake, Margaret Mead, John Updike, Tolstoy, Leonard Bernstein, John Coltraine, George Lucas, Einstein, Gandhi — among countless others. Religious ritual and belief are also among the most powerful forces uniting past and present, shaping memory and identity from generation to generation, and across millenia.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:36 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
I took a college World Religion class taught by a Christian preacher. He tried to be unbiased, but occasionally he would say, "see why Christianity is the only one that makes sense". It was unfair to the Jewish students and a Wiccan In the class.
This is why religion classes should be taught by a historian, not a theologian.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:37 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I took a college World Religion class taught by a Christian preacher. He tried to be unbiased, but occasionally he would say, "see why Christianity is the only one that make sense". It was unfair to the Jewish students and a Wiccan In the class.
Frankly, Christianity can make little sense at times.

That level of a lack of inner perspective is embarrassing.

Agree on your last sentence.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:38 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I took a college World Religion class taught by a Christian preacher. He tried to be unbiased, but occasionally he would say, "see why Christianity is the only one that makes sense". It was unfair to the Jewish students and a Wiccan In the class.
I agree with this.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:39 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Since religions are a major influence in the world, I have no problem with classes spent telling what they are about without bias or recruitment to any.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 AM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
And Christian children should be exempt from non-Christian literature.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If I lived in a country predominantly Islamic, and was born and raised there, I would want my children to know the basic tenets and traditions. So they're not clueless.

I have a cousin I really love, and he is agnostic/atheist and raised his 4 kids that way. When they were teens, there was a family wedding in a church, and the congregation said the Lord's Prayer at one point in the ceremony. These kids, who could mop the floor with you in scrabble and can't even name how many countries they've visited, were standing there open mouthed to see they were the only ones in the entire hundreds of people who did not know this prayer.

I could see the shock on their faces. There was a lot of information they didn't know that every single person in the room besides them did.
Hundreds of people in a room vs a global population of 7.7 billion, the majority of whom don’t know the Lord’s Prayer.

Then you get into the different versions of the Prayer, used by various brands of Christianity, including Catholics vs Protestants.

Then there’s the Islamic version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies